Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What does your dog do
trained assistance dog (owner or organisation trained) 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
assistance dog in training (owner or organisation trained) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
intended for assistance but failed/ other circumstances prevented it from happening 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
ESA (emotional support animal) dog 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Pet dog 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
I don't have a dog 50%  50%  [ 7 ]
I don't like dogs 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2018, 2:34 pm

I don't own a dog yet. I want one, but the commitment and responsibility is far too high right now. I'll probably consider it in the future.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 6:39 pm

graceksjp wrote:
Wait, hold up. You can have a trained and legal service dog.....for Aspergers??! !
If you dont mind me asking, what exactly do they assist with? Cause I see, hear, and walk just fine and have no extreme illness.

Remember that ASD is a spectrum. Different are affected by different autistic traits to differing degrees.

I, also, don't feel that I would benefit from a service dog other than maybe cheering me up a bit if I'm feeling a bit depressed or stressed out. And a pet dog (which I don't have) would do just as good a job of cheering me up as a service dog. In fact, I would go so far as to say that I don't feel that it would be wrong for me to accept an assistance dog if one were offered to me.

But, depending the ways and degrees in which ASD affects someone, service dogs can be beneficial for some people with ASD.