Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What does your dog do
trained assistance dog (owner or organisation trained) 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
assistance dog in training (owner or organisation trained) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
intended for assistance but failed/ other circumstances prevented it from happening 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
ESA (emotional support animal) dog 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Pet dog 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
I don't have a dog 50%  50%  [ 7 ]
I don't like dogs 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 2:12 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
pixie

some service dogs allow some owners to do things that would otherwise be impossible. (fine).

but whose needs take priority, the owners', or people that are allergic to or afraid of dogs?

Legally, it's both. I take Latte (trained Service dog) with me to school because he is specially trained to help me and I have a legal right to have him with me everywhere that I go - even schools, hospitals, stores etc. If someone is allergic to dogs, the school cannot deny him (and in extension me) access. They can and should in such a situation make reasonable accommodations to suit both me (and Latte) and the allergic student/teacher. An example of such would be that I sit in the front of the class and the allergic student in the back - or that we are not put in the same classes.

The same goes for people who are afraid of dogs, although I have never encountered it. Because he is a service dog that i require for my disability and a fear of dogs is not a disability, I do think that the scared person would need to partially just get used to him or they would be placed in other classes.
An example that I like to use: You wouldn't say to someone in a wheelchair that they cannot come to an event in case someone is fearful of wheelchairs - that would be ridiculous. The same goes for Service dogs.

Legally, Latte has the exact same rights as a guide dog. Would you tell a guide dog team that they cannot enter a store because someone is or might be allergic? No, you would not. (And if you would say that they cannot enter, you are legally in the wrong).

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2018, 2:34 pm

I don't own a dog yet. I want one, but the commitment and responsibility is far too high right now. I'll probably consider it in the future.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 6:39 pm

graceksjp wrote:
Wait, hold up. You can have a trained and legal service dog.....for Aspergers??! !
If you dont mind me asking, what exactly do they assist with? Cause I see, hear, and walk just fine and have no extreme illness.

Remember that ASD is a spectrum. Different are affected by different autistic traits to differing degrees.

I, also, don't feel that I would benefit from a service dog other than maybe cheering me up a bit if I'm feeling a bit depressed or stressed out. And a pet dog (which I don't have) would do just as good a job of cheering me up as a service dog. In fact, I would go so far as to say that I don't feel that it would be wrong for me to accept an assistance dog if one were offered to me.

But, depending the ways and degrees in which ASD affects someone, service dogs can be beneficial for some people with ASD.