Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2018, 5:27 pm

My sister have bipolar, can that mess with your head & think stuff that is not true?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2018, 8:02 pm

Yes. Bipolar disorder is one of the mental illnesses that can make you psychotic, which means you may perceive things that are not there, or have totally wrong beliefs such as you are Jesus or there is a government conspiracy to kill you.

Not every bipolar person has hallucinations and delusions, though.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 3:05 pm

I have had some beliefs that my mom may be bipolar or borderline, given that her behavior changes unexpectedly and often taking people by surprise.

Perhaps it's just my perception, but I'm just concerned that if my mom keeps up this behavior, she may need to do something to help her. My sister and I have been seeing therapists (we both have GAD) since last summer and it's been helping.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 7:31 pm

My grandmother is bipolar. My mother had to live with her unpredictable mood swings.

I am pretty sure I have cyclothymia or bipolar because I have experienced mania with psychosis, hypomania, and depressive episodes. Whatever I have was triggered by sex abuse.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 4:13 pm

Because of my sister bipolar & her thinking she REALLY REALLY KNOW me & she thinks she knows what best for me, she even told me that she knows me better than I know myself. She wasn’t in my life ALOT to REALLY KNOW me, she wasn’t there for me, she didn’t want a handicap sister. She may know me when I was a child, but she don’t know me as an adult. Because her behavior change only with me, does that mean I have to suffer?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 5:41 pm

No - you don't have to suffer. Her bipolar disorder may make her feel like she has unlimited wisdom, or even psychic powers - but she doesn't. When she starts talking about how she knows you so well, it's all right to tell her that she doesn't either, it's just her manic grandiosity that makes her think so. (She won't like it, though.)

I'm trying to remember - does she have some influence over your life, like manages your money or something?

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 7:25 pm

She in charge of my money & her name is on my rent lease & bills, she thinks I owe her, i need to tell her stuff about my apartment & she easily makes me very angry & upset, she can call me a liar & she blames me for almost everything.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 7:58 am

If your representative payee (as I think they call it) has bipolar disorder and is abusive, you stand a very good chance of being able to have her replaced. If you don't believe you can handle business affairs on your own - and I don't think any less of you, if that is the case - there are agencies who will take that responsibility and do a better job for you. Call your local Social Security office and ask about this. Be sure to mention that your sister is bipolar. That fact alone can be reason not to trust her with your money.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 8:44 am

All mental disorders, by definition, can make one believe things that are untrue. Bipolar disorder with hallucinations and other psychotic symptoms, however, comes under the heading of a separate disorder which is, namely, schizoaffective disorder.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 9:30 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
If your representative payee (as I think they call it) has bipolar disorder and is abusive, you stand a very good chance of being able to have her replaced. If you don't believe you can handle business affairs on your own - and I don't think any less of you, if that is the case - there are agencies who will take that responsibility and do a better job for you. Call your local Social Security office and ask about this. Be sure to mention that your sister is bipolar. That fact alone can be reason not to trust her with your money.

She been verbal & emotionally abused. There a problem with getting her removed, my mom left us money when she died & my nephew get money too, I don’t get alot of money. The money is paying for my rent & bills, she keeps saying the money that pays my bills & rent is not mine money, the money is been use for me. My rent is very high, the money is under my mom’s name & in a different bank, I cannot keep it in my bank, I get SSI. I wish I can get another account at a different bank.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 9:36 pm

Okay, it sounds like the money from your mother is in the form of a trust. It would probably be harder to get your sister removed from that role - but not impossible. If it's what I think it is, it is actually a pretty good way to protect your lifestyle while still qualifying for your SSI.

Did you ever talk to a social worker there at the hospital? That person could advise you.

I hope you have a very nice day tomorrow!

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 11:57 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Okay, it sounds like the money from your mother is in the form of a trust. It would probably be harder to get your sister removed from that role - but not impossible. If it's what I think it is, it is actually a pretty good way to protect your lifestyle while still qualifying for your SSI.

Did you ever talk to a social worker there at the hospital? That person could advise you.

I hope you have a very nice day tomorrow!

I keep asking for a social worker, but nobody is helping me.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 8:09 am

Oh Kitty. I'm sorry nobody has come.

When are you getting out of that place?

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2018, 10:16 pm

I started standing on one foot yesterday, the first day my good leg was badly shaking, today it’s better. I want to go home this month, but I need alot of help, I don’t know how I’m going do my laundry & pick up packages from my porch, there the cat box & her food, I have to keep it somewhere else, her food is in a container. I wish I have a roommate to help or a very good friend to help me. There more things that are high for me to reach. I can put those things in the cupboards, they are low & it will keep my cat away from my stuff.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 7:55 am

When I was in a nursing home after my spine surgery (ten years ago), they provided me with a grabbing tool that allows you to pick up objects from the floor or reach high objects. I still use that tool today. Also, after I got home, a care worker came in sometimes to see what I needed. I was able to eat by just using prepared foods easy to warm up. There's a program called "Meals on Wheels" that can bring you a cooked meal once a day. My point is, there are home care programs that can send a helper to your home.

I am driving again (Thank you, Lord) and also beginning to walk a few steps. I saw the orthopedics doctor a couple days ago and they are satisfied with my healing. (I had a fall in the clinic trying to get an xray, but that's another matter.)

I think you should still keep trying to talk to a social worker there, but they may have the opinion that they will talk to your family members but not you. Are you verbal?

Best wishes for a good day today, my friend. :)

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 8:20 am

I have Bipolar Disorder type 1 and it is a very serious mental illness. Before I got help and started taking medication for it I would get violently angry over nothing and I even started having paranoid thoughts that my mom was out to get me and was abusing me when she was only trying to help me.

I even tried to run away from home a few times by walking away when nobody noticed me leaving and I would walk for miles until I collapsed from exhaustion and get picked up and taken to a crisis center. The scariest thing was that once I walked into somebody else's house when they left their door unlocked and were gone and when they came back and found me sleeping in their house they were VERY angry thinking that I must have been on drugs and was trying to rob them and they even threaten to shoot me but they called the cops instead.

I really hate having this condition. I can live with the Asperger's but Bipolar Disorder has really ruined my life and I hate the fact that I can't even be a functioning person without taking medication every day for the rest of my life. It sucks. :(