Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2018, 8:06 pm

I can't find the right answers on Google, as usual, so I thought I'd ask here.

OK so I randomly had a bout of diarrhea 4 days ago, just for no reason, as I was eating the usual food I generally eat. I don't normally get diarrhea, but I HATE diarrhea, and because I have an all-day social event tomorrow, I panicked in case I will randomly get diarrhea again, on the day of the social event (having diarrhea in public triggers anxiety for me).
So I bought some tablets for diarrhea relief that dissolve on your tongue, but I forgotten what they're called. I took one on the morning after I had had diarrhea, just to see how I would react to them, and was planning to take another one before the big day, just to be completely avoidant of diarrhea. But I had took the tablet almost 4 days ago and I haven't pooped since, even though I've eaten regular meals since. I haven't even had the urge to go to the bathroom at all, it feels like my intestines are empty.

Is this normal to happen after taking a diarrhea relief tablet? I haven't had any stomach pains or anything. I just keep worrying about where all the food is going? And will I put on loads of weight? Or, worse, will I end up in hospital or something? I hope I don't start to get stomach ailments whilst at the social event.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2018, 10:07 pm

I suspect that it’s pretty normal. I used to have to use similar tablets, Imodium here in Canada. The tablets stop you up for a bit and the diarrhea would have emptied out your system first. You should be back to normal any time now.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 Aug 2018, 12:09 pm

I sometimes don't go for a few days after I've had bad diarrhea & I never take the anti-diarrhea stuff. I think the diarrhea might of cleared your system out & that & maybe a tad left of the anti-diarrhea tab stuff in your system has made you go this long without going. As AnneOleson said, you'll probably go anytime now.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 1:59 pm

You should be fine. Maybe your diarrhea was so bad that you really cleaned yourself out and it's going to take that long to get things back to normal. If that were to happen to me, after I knew the diarrhea was done, I would take some ground psyllium seed husks in water. You can get them plain at a co-op type store. Or in the U.S., there's a common laxative product known as Metamucil or generic brands of it. Those usually mix in sugar or sugar free sweeteners and flavors. The seed husks absorb water.

Take some good probiotics too. That will help get your gut back on track.

I have what I call a "shy colon". If I'm away from home for days my digestive system seems to just shut down. Like you, I can go days and days without having a BM in an unfamiliar place. I don't like it at all, but it's at those times that I take the psyllium, eat lots of dried prunes, drink a ton of water, etc. All to avoid severe constipation since my system seems to halt.

I hope you feel better soon!