Getting fired for hiding and then disclosing diagnosis

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

climategeek
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Aug 2018, 11:11 pm

Just last week I was hired on the first job I've ever gotten on my own. I did not disclose my autism during the application or during the interview. my first day on the job went off without a hitch and my manager actually complimented me and told me that I did really amazing.

Then, I told my manager that I had Asperger's as I was leaving the restaurant.

The next day I was working really hard and I was doing better than the other trainees and in fact the customers were very satisfied with my service and I was also doing extra tasks that I didn't even need to do because I was so sure that I was going to get fired for disclosing my disability so I tried to make the manager see that I'm an important asset to the restaurant despite having a disability.

Despite working my ass off and obviously performing much better than the other trainees, just as I expected my manager took me aside and told me that I was fired and he even let me know that he was firing me for being dishonest on the application, yet he did not tell, yet he did not tell me it was for a meeting that I had autism, but I knew that was the reason.

Also, I was dating my ex girlfriend a few years back and she did not know that I had autism because I didn't tell her and the reason I didn't tell her was because I was afraid she would have rejected me just like every other girl did right after I told them that I was on the Spectrum.

On the 4th date, the girl correctly guess that I was autistic and she asked me if I was on the Spectrum and I told her that I was. I asked her how she found out and she told me it's based on experience because her brother had Asperger's as well and she also wanted to work with young children office temperature and she was a Psychology major.

She asked me why I didn't tell her and I told her the truth that I was afraid that if I told her she would have rejected me because I'm so unlucky and because that's how everybody always treats me.

She reassured me that she's not that type of person and I even told her how grateful I was to have a partner like you and I even apologize to her for not being honest with her from the start.

I left the restaurant and the mediately I had a sense of dread that she will break up with me that night and I immediately whipped out my phone started making a video predicting that you will break up with me via text message that evening in the middle of making my video I was give it a notification at the top of the screen and in the text message it said I'm sorry, but this isn't going to work out and I won't be seeing you again.

Ice immediately started seeing red I cussed a few times in the video ended it and called her.

I asked her why she rejected me and she told me, first of all I won't have such a Negative person as my boyfriend and the second thing is you assume that I'm an ableist and judge me Basin how others treated you and because of that I don't want to see you again.

I blew up at her and I said the real reason you don't want to see me again it's because you found out I have autism and you don't want to deal with me because you will think I'm going to be just like your brother. She completely flipped out on me and then she said, and to think I was going to give you another chance, you just completely blew it.

After she said that I just blew up at her and I don't know what I said to her, but it must have been really horrible because when I came back to my senses she was hysterically crying and hung up the phone on me and she never called me back again.

I don't know why, but why would ever I predict something negative will happen to me I'm always right whether I want to be or not.

Here's another example of what I am talking about.

What will be below is a reply that I made yesterday.

Yes, I did go to Halsey, the school was overall good, but this one abelist b***h ruined it all! She ruined not only my childhood, but I am still suffering the ramifications of it now. When I went to Halsey, I was beat up and bullied on an almost daily basis. The inclusion program director punished me and belittled me constantly for every time I got bullied which caused me to talk back to her and even cuss her out, which just got me in more trouble and because of her, I was diagnosed with ODD, which made my fight for equal rights put down as just my ODD acting up.

I was then sent to a special education school in Boston and when I came back even though my mom promised me she wasn't going to put me into an apartment with 24 hour superivsion which I was expecting and constantly predicting. I was so sure she was going to do that, I felt that the only way to avoid that, was to everything I was told and expected to do, no exceptions. Even though I followed every I was asked to the f*****g letter and was left alone 6 hours a day where I vacuumed, mopped, swept, washed all the dishes and not to mention set up the tables and cleaned them up after everybody ate. My mom a few months later during a meeting with the agency I currently live, lied blatantly claiming that I had horrible self-help and daily living skills and that I couldn't do anything without constant prompting and supervision. This was exactly what I predicted my mom would do, and that is exactly what she did. Authority has ruined my life, and nearly every time I expect them to do something bad to me, I am nearly always right.

Also, recently, my mom was starting to put me into self direction and just as I predicted, she cancelled it, and I was so sure she was going to cancel it, that I was telling all my friends that she will cancel it, I even told my broker that I expect my mom will cancel it. My mom went as far with her lie that she will get my self direction as paying the first month's rent and registration fee for the apartment that would have been with the new self direction program, then two days later she cancelled it. Why? She told me I was not ready and I got into a very heated and cuss filled meltdown with her and I forced her to tell me why I wasn't ready, that abelsit b***h's reason? Because I told tell her when I go places. I am a f*****g adult and if I told want to f*****g tell you something I don't have to tell your abelist ass anything! :x
Not ready because I am practicing independence, puh-lease! :roll:

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 6:36 pm

climategeek wrote:
Just last week I was hired on the first job I've ever gotten on my own. I did not disclose my autism during the application or during the interview. my first day on the job went off without a hitch and my manager actually complimented me and told me that I did really amazing.

The next day I was working really hard and I was doing better than the other trainees and in fact the customers were very satisfied with my service and I was also doing extra tasks that I didn't even need to do because I was so sure that I was going to get fired for disclosing my disability so I tried to make the manager see that I'm an important asset to the restaurant despite having a disability.

Despite working my ass off and obviously performing much better than the other trainees, just as I expected my manager took me aside and told me that I was fired and he even let me know that he was firing me for being dishonest on the application, yet he did not tell, yet he did not tell me it was for a meeting that I had autism, but I knew that was the reason.

Also, I was dating my ex girlfriend a few years back and she did not know that I had autism because I didn't tell her and the reason I didn't tell her was because I was afraid she would have rejected me just like every other girl did right after I told them that I was on the Spectrum.

On the 4th date, the girl correctly guess that I was autistic and she asked me if I was on the Spectrum and I told her that I was. I asked her how she found out and she told me it's based on experience because her brother had Asperger's as well and she also wanted to work with young children office temperature and she was a Psychology major.

She asked me why I didn't tell her and I told her the truth that I was afraid that if I told her she would have rejected me because I'm so unlucky and because that's how everybody always treats me.

She reassured me that she's not that type of person and I even told her how grateful I was to have a partner like you and I even apologize to her for not being honest with her from the start.

I left the restaurant and the mediately I had a sense of dread that she will break up with me that night and I immediately whipped out my phone started making a video predicting that you will break up with me via text message that evening in the middle of making my video I was give it a notification at the top of the screen and in the text message it said I'm sorry, but this isn't going to work out and I won't be seeing you again.

Ice immediately started seeing red I cussed a few times in the video ended it and called her.

I asked her why she rejected me and she told me, first of all I won't have such a Negative person as my boyfriend and the second thing is you assume that I'm an ableist and judge me Basin how others treated you and because of that I don't want to see you again.

I blew up at her and I said the real reason you don't want to see me again it's because you found out I have autism and you don't want to deal with me because you will think I'm going to be just like your brother. She completely flipped out on me and then she said, and to think I was going to give you another chance, you just completely blew it.

After she said that I just blew up at her and I don't know what I said to her, but it must have been really horrible because when I came back to my senses she was hysterically crying and hung up the phone on me and she never called me back again.

I don't know why, but why would ever I predict something negative will happen to me I'm always right whether I want to be or not.

Yes, I did go to Halsey, the school was overall good, but this one abelist b***h ruined it all! She ruined not only my childhood, but I am still suffering the ramifications of it now. When I went to Halsey, I was beat up and bullied on an almost daily basis. The inclusion program director punished me and belittled me constantly for every time I got bullied which caused me to talk back to her and even cuss her out, which just got me in more trouble and because of her, I was diagnosed with ODD, which made my fight for equal rights put down as just my ODD acting up.

I was then sent to a special education school in Boston and when I came back even though my mom promised me she wasn't going to put me into an apartment with 24 hour superivsion which I was expecting and constantly predicting. I was so sure she was going to do that, I felt that the only way to avoid that, was to everything I was told and expected to do, no exceptions. Even though I followed every I was asked to the f*****g letter and was left alone 6 hours a day where I vacuumed, mopped, swept, washed all the dishes and not to mention set up the tables and cleaned them up after everybody ate. My mom a few months later during a meeting with the agency I currently live, lied blatantly claiming that I had horrible self-help and daily living skills and that I couldn't do anything without constant prompting and supervision. This was exactly what I predicted my mom would do, and that is exactly what she did. Authority has ruined my life, and nearly every time I expect them to do something bad to me, I am nearly always right.

Also, recently, my mom was starting to put me into self direction and just as I predicted, she cancelled it, and I was so sure she was going to cancel it, that I was telling all my friends that she will cancel it, I even told my broker that I expect my mom will cancel it. My mom went as far with her lie that she will get my self direction as paying the first month's rent and registration fee for the apartment that would have been with the new self direction program, then two days later she cancelled it. Why? She told me I was not ready and I got into a very heated and cuss filled meltdown with her and I forced her to tell me why I wasn't ready, that abelsit b***h's reason? Because I told tell her when I go places. I am a f*****g adult and if I told want to f*****g tell you something I don't have to tell your abelist ass anything! :x

It's illegal for employers to fire you for failing to disclose a disability in most instances.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 6:37 pm

climategeek wrote:

It's illegal for employers to fire you for failing to disclose a disability in most instances.

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2018, 7:53 pm

You already made a thread about this... :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 9:54 am

It's true that it's illegal to discriminate---but, in practical terms, I don't feel he should have disclosed his Asperger's.

People get around the discrimination laws all the time in the US----by invoking the "employment at will" doctrine.