The Constant Disparagement of Women on the Internet

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 3:49 am

I don't go out and seek fights or venture much behind enemy lines on the internet. I don't visit MRA or incel forums, or feminist forums for that matter. I spend most of my time online outside of WP reading articles on non political things, research papers, and watching videos and the videos I watch, when not fictional, sometimes consist of videos that depict things relevant to me as a female, such as women engaging in things I am interested in, whether it be videos depicting female athletes, women's sports in general, military basic training for women, or women in their occupations, and I'm sorry to say but without fail, the comment sections are often filled with disparaging comments towards women. Men and boys being overly critical of a woman's failure. Men and boys making devaluing comments of a woman's success. Men and boys making statements that men can do it better. Men and boys making misogynistic comments such as "She should get back in the kitchen," or "Make me a sandwich," or "Women drivers"/"women shouldn't drive"/"That's what happens when you let a woman drive" at any chance they get whether a woman gets into a small fender bender, or prevents an accident from becoming a major one, and despite the fact that most vehicular fatalities are caused by young men.

These comments are almost everywhere and I don't understand why these men and boys hate women so thoroughly that they feel the need to seek out and attack them; particularly women who engage in activities that are considered to be male oriented in our society.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 4:39 am

Have you ever read Alice Miller? Her books on child abuse and how so much human behavior comes from people's hate for their parents being misdirected have made me look at society and people very differently. That is probably what you're seeing with these men. When people criticize others' freedom and expression it's probably because they've been taught they can't freely express who they really are, so they become some ugly caricature of themselves and express that.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 4:44 am

HighLlama wrote:
Have you ever read Alice Miller? Her books on child abuse and how so much human behavior comes from people's hate for their parents being misdirected have made me look at society and people very differently. That is probably what you're seeing with these men. When people criticize others' freedom and expression it's probably because they've been taught they can't freely express who they really are, so they become some ugly caricature of themselves and express that.

Girls are equally subjected to abuse and many at the hands of their fathers, yet we do not see parallel behavior in girls and women. Perhaps girls and women handle such abuse differently, however the question still remains as to why boys and men resort to this behavior.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 5:08 am

Women disparage men all the time. Maybe it's not as evident online, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. There is also a common attitude that bad women are the exception and bad men are the rule, which is incorrect. Women can be just as sh***y as men--that's one thing that makes them human. You're attributing a human behavior to sex and looking at a symptom of personal issues as if it's some inherent trait.

And if women are better, then who is raising these boys? All these men can't become monsters if their mothers are so great. Fathers aren't the only ones who abuse. If you see things that way, then this situation will always look confusing.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 8:35 am

Chronos wrote:
I don't go out and seek fights or venture much behind enemy lines on the internet. I don't visit MRA or incel forums, or feminist forums for that matter. I spend most of my time online outside of WP reading articles on non political things, research papers, and watching videos and the videos I watch, when not fictional, sometimes consist of videos that depict things relevant to me as a female, such as women engaging in things I am interested in, whether it be videos depicting female athletes, women's sports in general, military basic training for women, or women in their occupations, and I'm sorry to say but without fail, the comment sections are often filled with disparaging comments towards women. Men and boys being overly critical of a woman's failure. Men and boys making devaluing comments of a woman's success. Men and boys making statements that men can do it better. Men and boys making misogynistic comments such as "She should get back in the kitchen," or "Make me a sandwich," or "Women drivers"/"women shouldn't drive"/"That's what happens when you let a woman drive" at any chance they get whether a woman gets into a small fender bender, or prevents an accident from becoming a major one, and despite the fact that most vehicular fatalities are caused by young men.

These comments are almost everywhere and I don't understand why these men and boys hate women so thoroughly that they feel the need to seek out and attack them; particularly women who engage in activities that are considered to be male oriented in our society.

I see this too. :( I don’t have a remedy, other than limiting my exposure to the internet, which isn’t really a “solution”. Humans of every gender orientation are more alike than we are different when one considers the vast & amazing differences of life forms on Earth. :heart:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 Aug 2018, 8:39 am

I don't know why Chronos but it makes me sad as a guy that so many of us try & control women or just boss them around. Not just online but offline too like how soo many male politicians try & control what women can & cant do with their down bodies.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 8:56 am

Train yourself not to read the comments section. Or visit sites in which you have to click on a link to see the comments and don't click on the link.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 9:17 am

Sadly, there is no shortage of misogynistic, insecure males in the world. I subscribe to an outdoor channel of YouTube run by a young Austrian woman who teaches bushcraft and survival skills. She's had to deal with a fair amount of comments of the type you're talking about. I guess some men just can't handle intelligent, capable women.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 10:25 am

Male animals are usually naturally more aggressive, domineering, and often injure or even kill the females when forcing them to mate with them. The only difference between male animals and humans is that humans are probably the only species to question the morality of this behavior.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 2:14 pm

HighLlama wrote:
Women disparage men all the time. Maybe it's not as evident online, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. There is also a common attitude that bad women are the exception and bad men are the rule, which is incorrect. Women can be just as sh***y as men--that's one thing that makes them human. You're attributing a human behavior to sex and looking at a symptom of personal issues as if it's some inherent trait.

And if women are better, then who is raising these boys? All these men can't become monsters if their mothers are so great. Fathers aren't the only ones who abuse. If you see things that way, then this situation will always look confusing.

I am speaking specifically about the extreme abundance of intrusive and unprovoked disparagement of females by a specific sub demographic males online (the ones who do it). . Not bad things that women do or which sex is better than the other (neither). If you wish to discuss bad behavior by females directed at males, you may make a thread specifically for that so the issue can be properly addressed as it deserves to be. Please do not attemp to derail this thread again.

Last edited by Chronos on 31 Aug 2018, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 2:28 pm

nick007 wrote:
I don't know why Chronos but it makes me sad as a guy that so many of us try & control women or just boss them around. Not just online but offline too like how soo many male politicians try & control what women can & cant do with their down bodies.

I do not expect men who do not do it to know why. The male demographic has more variance than female demographic, often leaving males perplexed at the behavior of other males.

Of the specific behavior I am speaking of, I wonder how much of it is innate and how much of it is socially learned behaviour. You might be familiar with the study that found that "low performing" males in the gaming world were more likely to be hostile to higher performing female players but not higher performing male players and this was related to a desire for status (as counterproductive as the behavior actually is) but if this is the case, I am perplexed about why they try to raise their status in the manner they do, and why they do not treat higher performing male players in the same manner. At what point in their lives do they get the idea that females should be less than them or that they should be greater than females?

Those are not questions I direct at you or other men who also don't understand the behavior, they are just questions in my mind that I am voicing to the populace at large because I encounter such behavior daily.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 2:41 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Male animals are usually naturally more aggressive, domineering, and often injure or even kill the females when forcing them to mate with them. The only difference between male animals and humans is that humans are probably the only species to question the morality of this behavior.

No doubt these particular males I am speaking of have emotions, perspectives, and thought processes that are manifesting as aggression but my question is, what are the underlying emotions, perspectives and thought processes?

My impression is that it is teenaged boys who are the primary culprits of this type of behavior. A lot of them were decent enough people when they were younger but at some point they seem to think it is "cool" to disparage females.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 2:43 pm

BTDT wrote:
Train yourself not to read the comments section. Or visit sites in which you have to click on a link to see the comments and don't click on the link.

My curiosity as to the psychology of these individuals still stands.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 2:52 pm

One of the worst things about the internet is that inconsiderate people are free to act their worst hiding behind their computer screens. You don't know the ages of those making comments. It's probable that some are immature, juvenile adolescents. That in no way excuses that kind of behavior, but teenage boys and girls can say and do a lot of stupid things. When I was young, kids wanted to look older by smoking cigarettes. I think kids today can try to act "cool" or older by trolling, flaming and generally being pricks and a**holes.

I agree with you that any talk like that is shameful. It's not only on the internet though. My wife HATES having to take a vehicle in for service because she says it's common for the male technicians to be condescending to her. She's been fuming before after such exchanges and then I call up or stop in to talk to them and they're respectful to me (which makes her even more mad). Because of this, I think a great business model in a metropolitan area (ie large population)would be for female business partners to open and operate an auto repair business. I think they'd make a killing at it.

Last edited by Magna on 31 Aug 2018, 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 3:02 pm

I know it also happens to people gendered as women on the phone. An explanation may be that this is "pushback" for the equality gains that women have been making for the past few decades.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 3:51 pm

Another interesting thing I have noticed is on some of these videos, there will also be excessive posts of praise, I am guessing in keeping with the phenomena of male variance which translates to more males towards extremes of spectrums. And these comments tend to cluster. If one makes a disparaging commebt, others will. If one makes an excessively praising comment, others will. This, no doubt, is a manifestation of a tendancy towards "following the leader" in the male demographic so that accounts for some of the frequency of the comments I am sure.

Additionally, comments expressing respect tend to dominate when videos depict women taking on traditionally male roles or doing what our society views as traditionally male things out if necessity rather than out of pleasure, with the exception of driving and videos that depict women doing traditionally male work when the context of necessity is hidden and one can assume she had a choice in her occupation.

Last edited by Chronos on 31 Aug 2018, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.