Actress Vanessa Marquez killed by cops

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 6:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18lxkb0FfuQ

I mostly remember her from Melrose but used to watch Nurses back in the early 90s......

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 6:08 pm

This is scary....

Quote:
Officers were called to Marquez’s home in the 1100 block of Fremont Avenue by a landlord to check on her welfare. When the officers arrived around 12 p.m., she was suffering from seizures and appeared unable to take care of herself. Officers called out paramedics and a mental health clinician, and continued to talk with her. After about 90 minutes, Marquez, 49, armed herself with a BB gun and pointed it at the officers, causing them to open fire, said Sheriff’s Lt. Joe Mendoza.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/vaness ... 202923337/

So cops are killing mentally ill people for something as small as aiming a bb gun at them? Forgive me if I’m wrong, but bb guns don’t kill. She didn’t commit a crime, the cops were called to check on her welfare then killed her.

She also sounds bipolar - aren’t cops trained to handle manic episodes? This will make people think twice before calling cops to check on their mentally ill relatives or friends since they might kill them.

EDIT: just learned BB Guns can look like REAL guns. Still scary though.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 6:49 pm

Spooky_Mulder wrote:
This is scary....

Quote:
Officers were called to Marquez’s home in the 1100 block of Fremont Avenue by a landlord to check on her welfare. When the officers arrived around 12 p.m., she was suffering from seizures and appeared unable to take care of herself. Officers called out paramedics and a mental health clinician, and continued to talk with her. After about 90 minutes, Marquez, 49, armed herself with a BB gun and pointed it at the officers, causing them to open fire, said Sheriff’s Lt. Joe Mendoza.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/vaness ... 202923337/

So cops are killing mentally ill people for something as small as aiming a bb gun at them? Forgive me if I’m wrong, but bb guns don’t kill. She didn’t commit a crime, the cops were called to check on her welfare then killed her.

She also sounds bipolar - aren’t cops trained to handle manic episodes? This will make people think twice before calling cops to check on their mentally ill relatives or friends since they might kill them.

This police-sanctioned killing is just the latest in a long series of cases where someone calls the cops to get help for someone and then the cops shoot the victim dead. The cops are now like the fire department in Fahrenheit 451, where they show up to start fires, not stop them. I especially love the way the cops discussed their killing of her in a press conference to start their spin:

Quote:
"There was an LA County mental health clinician here with the officers," Lieutenant Joe Mendoza said during a press conference on Thursday. "They began to communicate with her, she became very uncooperative and during that contact she armed herself with a handgun, she pointed it at the officers and an officer-involved shooting occurred."

Got that? ...an officer-involved shooting occurred. What a nice deployment of passive voice to describe their killing.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 3:34 am

I wouldve used tear gas instead but if the person comes running out holding a gun then all bets are off........

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 5:15 am

Spooky_Mulder wrote:

That's a real bummer, but yeah, if you point something that looks like a real gun at a police officer, they don't really have time to try to decide if you're a serious threat or not. This is nothing new at all, it's a common trope called "suicide by cop".

We used to have BB guns that looked like pistols...incidentally, they were stolen during a home break-in, and I bet those guys were real disappointed when they found out they didn't fire bullets.

They had our names and everything engraved on them too, so I'm sure they just went straight in the trash :cry:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2018, 12:39 am

They thought it was a pistol. When someone points a gun at cops, they don't have the time to analyze if it's a real gun or not. They discovered it was a bb gun afterwards.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2018, 12:42 am

:(

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 5:50 pm

This is sad, she was having a seizure but yet grabbed a weapon and pointed it at them. BB guns can look a lot like a real gun. I can't blame the officers either. This is a sad situation.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 7:58 pm

i'm reminded of the 1976 police killing of Beatles' chief roadie Mal Evans in California. similar circumstance of mental illness.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 10:29 pm

I've read the theory - and take note that this is only a theory - that the bb gun was just a throwdown gun used by cops to justify unwarranted shootings. Again, this is only theory, so don't quote me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 10:31 pm

IMHO it is a culling that is happening.