Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

marlyn morgan
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Sep 2018, 4:30 am

Ive often described my aspergers brain as like being on acid. The acetylcholine, which transmits nerve impulses across the nerve junctions, doesnt get broken down like in NT's. If an NT senses something in their environment repeatedly, after a while the acetylcholinase breaks this neurotransmitter down and it no longer triggers a nerve response. Kind of like down regulating. My system just keeps on stimulating, so busy environments can become hectic indeed as I have a constant barrage of info coming in. Thats why I tend to focus on one sense, because its easier. This is called mono-processing. Cool. So it makes me wonder why my NT friends dont get upset by pictures of starving children on TV. Maybe they have normalised the image because they have seen it so many times. Politicians use this tactic frequently to quell outrage in a population. A I suspect that a lot of my mates are on the spectrum. Most of them are constant campaigners for human rights etc ....and , the down side of this, suffer burnout. Some just cant cope with the overload and switch off to everything, using alcohol and drugs to squash the discomfort.

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2018, 5:57 pm

I agree mostly with this. I also notice that I am not able to "normalize" things away after experiencing them repeatedly. However, I am surprisingly not very sensitive to gore (which is strange because I have very strong morals about certain things).

Sometimes I think that my brain (or the aspie brain in general) just processes things repetitively. Which is why I cannot ignore certain noises, and I say things repetitively (echolalia), and I enjoy routine, and I am very sensitive to certain emotions, and I obsess over things, etc. It's kind of like things just naturally get stuck in loops in my mind. The NT brain on the other hand would stop processing something after the first time it is processed (normalizing).