Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

amdedinboro
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Sep 2018, 3:35 pm

Just wondered if anyone had any tips for success an artist with autism? Out of everything in life, I feel that art is what gives me the most purpose. But I wish I could find the resources to focus on that all the time and achieve success through the work I'm passionate about, instead of having to struggle with everyday living as I do and worry about other things. I'm a writer, animator, filmmaker, and enjoy other forms of art as well. I just wondered whether anyone had any advice for someone in my position, or resources I could look into for funding some of my more ambitious projects?

Cheers :)

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 7:04 am

I suppose you'll have to get a degree first. From your course you'll get the necessary connections to succeed in this area, though I'm told it's enormously competitive.

Quite frankly, if you have anything of value to produce as an artist you'd better resign yourself to (financial) failure and obscurity right now, because there's nothing the world despises more than virtue, ability and value. If your talents are poor, however, you'll 'go far'.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 8:46 am

Keep the day jobs.

Nowadays, an independent artist has as much of a chance of making a comfortable living with his or her art as a high-school freshman has of playing in a professional sports league.

UNLESS, of course, your work is so exceptional for its style, content, and originality that people are attracted to it by its seeming uniqueness.

How about making a 30-minute animated video about a an Aspie's coming-of-age?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2018, 1:53 am

I'm a published author, but it had taken me years and years to see my stuff in print. And even now, I'm still a starving artist. If you want to follow your dreams and make the arts the center of your life, then lack of financial success should be the least of your concerns. Hell, wear your identity as a starving artist as a badge of pride!

Sianann
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2018, 4:42 am

Art has enriched my life in a way I never thought possible. However, financially I am mostly hovering slightly above or below the poverty line. It doesn’t sound like you’re financially motivated and that’s a realistic place to start from...this doesn’t mean you won’t ever make money. Funding from arts councils and the like (I’m not sure how it works there) is the usual source of income but be prepared to labour over an application form for weeks!
Art residencies are great for providing a studio, accommodation and a small stipend for everyday living...plus the creative environment with one’s peers tends to be a great catalyst for conceptualising and making work. I know that Triangle have a global network of studios including one based in New York. The trick is to find one that is fully-funded for an artist commencing a professional career/vocation.
A Fine Art degree helps when looking for funding but a solid exhibition history is even better.
Submit small projects for group shows everywhere - many have no submission fees but many do...so if you can afford them - well, the more shows you’re in, the more likely you are to receive funding and the more opportunities to sell work.
If you are making films, animation series, etc. think about making limited edition ‘still’ pieces for sale. I wouldn’t go for anything over a series of ten (plus artist’s proof) and don’t underprice. I exhibited once in America and being stubborn I kept my prices low because I wanted people like me to be able to afford an artwork (now and then I maxed out my credit card on artworks!...when I had a credit card.) I was warned that it would put potential buyers off! It was true. I was one of four other artists reviewed (from a huge group show of Irish and Irish-American art) and they came back unsold with a “Too low! Too low!”.
Keep up-to-date with what’s going on in the art world...artsy has a good newsletter that you can subscribe to for free. I’m sure there are lots of other online resources...
Live and learn.
I wish you the very best on your journey...the highs will be super high and the lows...well, what doesn’t kill you makes you a better artist...

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 5:09 am

nope sadly not. I got my work exhibited a few times, even from well known competitions, but never had anything come out of the "exposure" because I never won first place.
Getting followers on Instagram is too much of a chore nowadays, especially with "online galleries" making a profit out of naive artists and also taking your art without your permission for "exposure". People tend to follow online galleries because they are more varied and have the best of many artists featured.

as fnord said, you need to be exceptional or (i say) have a clever marketing strategy. If you can combine both that's ideal. I can think of very few artists (visual artists especially) who made it through social media without without concocting a story of their dying pet.

it's a good thing I make art regardless of monetary gain and will not be too disappointed by career failure 8)

Ziemael

07 Sep 2018, 10:55 pm

It is a relative thing. For me starving artists are not artists, they are hobbiests. I have been doing art for cash since 1988. Didn't really figure out how to earn bill paying money while art until 2014. So hobbiest for 26 years, until 4 years ago when I saw the pattern that worked for me and got crazy serious. Between here and there I bounced around. 40 different jobs at age 45 (currently jobless) some years I do no art at all (working 50+ hours a week) others I do it all year. I have made usually enough to keep my family from being homeless until the next job. I have spent 3 months straight breaking even, and using all my savings. Conversely I can make 3k in a month or even 1k on a single Saturday. Now I am debt free, with multiple homes (no mortgages) choosing when, where, and who I work for. I live in the woods chopping wood, caring for animals, painting, planning future art venues. All I can say is, he trick is, where you sell your art at. If sales suck, move on. Keep going then when a couple do ok, as an aspie you will see that pattern and take full advantage of it. Then you know what to dodge, and you will do better.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 1:10 am

Ziemael wrote:
It is a relative thing. For me starving artists are not artists, they are hobbiests. I have been doing art for cash since 1988. Didn't really figure out how to earn bill paying money while art until 2014. So hobbiest for 26 years, until 4 years ago when I saw the pattern that worked for me and got crazy serious. Between here and there I bounced around. 40 different jobs at age 45 (currently jobless) some years I do no art at all (working 50+ hours a week) others I do it all year. I have made usually enough to keep my family from being homeless until the next job. I have spent 3 months straight breaking even, and using all my savings. Conversely I can make 3k in a month or even 1k on a single Saturday. Now I am debt free, with multiple homes (no mortgages) choosing when, where, and who I work for. I live in the woods chopping wood, caring for animals, painting, planning future art venues. All I can say is, he trick is, where you sell your art at. If sales suck, move on. Keep going then when a couple do ok, as an aspie you will see that pattern and take full advantage of it. Then you know what to dodge, and you will do better.

I disagree. I am a published author, and wear my identity as a starving artist like a badge of pride.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 2:06 pm

Ziemael wrote:

wow good work! any tips for young artists trying to keep sane / make a living [and not waste their talents working in retail]?