Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2018, 1:06 pm

?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 2:29 pm

It's supposed to be someone with a personality disorder who display persistent antisocial (not asocial) behavior, impaired empathy, remorse, and highly egotistic traits. Doctors normally call it psychopathy, but many people use sociopath quite broadly and inaccurately.

Because people with spectrum disorders *supposedly* lack empathy, many NTs think, wrongly, that autistic people are all sociopaths and are very dangerous and violent, when the truth is that autistic people are much more likely to become *victims* of violence.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 4:00 pm

What Is Sociopathy?

Sociopathy is an informal term that refers to a pattern of antisocial behavior and attitudes. In the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), sociopathy is most closely represented by Antisocial Personality Disorder. Outwardly, those described as sociopaths may appear disturbed but can also show signs of caring, sincerity, and trustworthiness. In fact, they are manipulative, often lie, lack empathy, and have a weak conscience that allows them to act recklessly or aggressively, even when they know their behavior is wrong. Research indicates that while sociopathy and psychopathy share common traits, the cause of psychopathy is more likely to be innate or genetic, and physiological in nature, while sociopathy is more likely the result of an environmental influence, such as childhood trauma or abuse.

(Link to Source: Sociopathy.)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 5:53 pm

Someone with no moral code. People with Antisocial Personality Disorder (basically the diagnostic equivalent of what is referred to as a sociopath/psychopath) aren’t necessarily aggressive in nature, but because it is hypothesized that the sympathetic nervous system (the system responsible for “fight or flight”) doesn’t activate in emotional situations the way it does with you and me, they do not feel true emotions.

This causes a lack of remorse/empathy and actions like manipulating others for their own personal gain. These people can create a facade that makes them appear charming and charismatic, but in reality, it is only a show. However, psychopaths can still be productive members of society, and many are in important occupational fields. Some people say that sociopaths are made while psychopaths are born, but this really doesn’t hold any credibility from a diagnostic standpoint, as there isnt a diagnosis for be a sociopath/psychopath; that is merely a term used to describe people with antisocial (against society) tendencies, who may or may not be diagnosed as having ASPD. All in all, we shouldn’t discount people because of whether they have the disorder or not, but you should definitely be cautious and aware of the manipulative techniques they may use.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Rustifer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2018, 9:01 pm

Bill Cosby - textbook example

Rustifer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2018, 9:04 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
It's supposed to be someone with a personality disorder who display persistent antisocial (not asocial) behavior, impaired empathy, remorse, and highly egotistic traits. Doctors normally call it psychopathy, but many people use sociopath quite broadly and inaccurately.

Because people with spectrum disorders *supposedly* lack empathy, many NTs think, wrongly, that autistic people are all sociopaths and are very dangerous and violent, when the truth is that autistic people are much more likely to become *victims* of violence.

I think the lack of empathy is more about the DISPLAY of empathy. People think you don't care when you do, it's just not "displayed" the way they expect or want. It's more a miscommunication of empathy than lack of it.

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2018, 9:11 pm

DSM-5:

Quote:
A. Disregard for and violation of others rights since age 15, as indicated by one of the seven sub features:

1. Failure to obey laws and norms by engaging in behavior which results in criminal arrest, or would warrant criminal arrest
2. Lying, deception, and manipulation, for profit or self-amusement,
3. Impulsive behavior
4. Irritability and aggression, manifested as frequently assaults others, or engages in fighting
5. Blatantly disregards safety of self and others,
6. A pattern of irresponsibility and
7. Lack of remorse for actions

B. The person is at least age 18,

C. Conduct disorder was present by history before age 15

D. and the antisocial behavior does not occur in the context of schizophrenia or bipolar disorder (American Psychiatric Association, 2013)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Sep 2018, 1:58 am

Eric Cartman on South Park

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 7:24 am

sociopath, so-ci-o-path n. Donald Trump

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 9:19 pm

Rustifer wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

I think the lack of empathy is more about the DISPLAY of empathy. People think you don't care when you do, it's just not "displayed" the way they expect or want. It's more a miscommunication of empathy than lack of it.

If you are talking about autism, then I would agree, but a core characteristic of ASPD is that people with it truly do not feel empathy or have emotions for any living thing. As autism is a communication disorder, I would agree with the notion that empathy could oftentimes be miscommunicated. However, ASPD is not autism, and these people truly lack empathy or shared emotions of any kind.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

CalicoMischief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Sep 2018, 11:24 am

lostonearth35 wrote:

You wrote a well articulated response and I appreciate that you differentiated between autism and sociopathy because they are extremely different disorders by nature. I also get angry when ignorant NT people try to say that autistic people have anything in common with sociopaths.

CalicoMischief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Sep 2018, 11:25 am

Fnord wrote:
What Is Sociopathy?

Sociopathy is an informal term that refers to a pattern of antisocial behavior and attitudes. In the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), sociopathy is most closely represented by Antisocial Personality Disorder. Outwardly, those described as sociopaths may appear disturbed but can also show signs of caring, sincerity, and trustworthiness. In fact, they are manipulative, often lie, lack empathy, and have a weak conscience that allows them to act recklessly or aggressively, even when they know their behavior is wrong. Research indicates that while sociopathy and psychopathy share common traits, the cause of psychopathy is more likely to be innate or genetic, and physiological in nature, while sociopathy is more likely the result of an environmental influence, such as childhood trauma or abuse.

(Link to Source: Sociopathy.)

This was a great and comprehensive explanation.

CalicoMischief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Sep 2018, 11:28 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Someone with no moral code. People with Antisocial Personality Disorder (basically the diagnostic equivalent of what is referred to as a sociopath/psychopath) aren’t necessarily aggressive in nature, but because it is hypothesized that the sympathetic nervous system (the system responsible for “fight or flight”) doesn’t activate in emotional situations the way it does with you and me, they do not feel true emotions.

This causes a lack of remorse/empathy and actions like manipulating others for their own personal gain. These people can create a facade that makes them appear charming and charismatic, but in reality, it is only a show. However, psychopaths can still be productive members of society, and many are in important occupational fields. Some people say that sociopaths are made while psychopaths are born, but this really doesn’t hold any credibility from a diagnostic standpoint, as there isnt a diagnosis for be a sociopath/psychopath; that is merely a term used to describe people with antisocial (against society) tendencies, who may or may not be diagnosed as having ASPD. All in all, we shouldn’t discount people because of whether they have the disorder or not, but you should definitely be cautious and aware of the manipulative techniques they may use.

I find it interesting that they dont feel true emotions. I dont see a difference between sociopaths and psychopaths. I dislike both.
They are very manipulative and evil.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 4:15 pm

Believe me narcissists are just as horrible.

But terms like "sociopath", "psychopath", and "narcissist" are always being thrown around by people who don't have a real understanding of what these words mean. Just because somebody does something evil or criminal that doesn't automatically make them one of these three. And these people are always misrepresented by Hollywood just like people with Autism.

CalicoMischief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Sep 2018, 5:16 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:

But terms like "sociopath", "psychopath", and "narcissist" are always being thrown around by people who don't have a real understanding of what these words mean. Just because somebody does something evil or criminal that doesn't automatically make them one of these three. And these people are always misrepresented by Hollywood just like people with Autism.

The issue I have with a sociopath, is that even though they are considered mentally ill (they are), they cause harm to other people. They define their own self identity and self worth by how they hurt other people. Autistic people do not do this. Since sociopaths are harmful and evil i hate them and have no empathy for them.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 5:33 pm

CalicoMischief wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

The issue I have with a sociopath, is that even though they are considered mentally ill (they are), they cause harm to other people. They define their own self identity and self worth by how they hurt other people. Autistic people do not do this. Since sociopaths are harmful and evil i hate them and have no empathy for them.

I don't think anybody likes sociopaths, psychopaths, or narcissists. They like to use and abuse everyone around them plus they are sneaky and can hurt you without feeling any guilt or remorse whatsoever.

These are the kind of people who become the sadistic serial killers you hear about on crime shows who kill a lot of innocent people and torture their victims to death. (Like Ted Bundy)

These are the kind of people who scam elderly couples out of lifesavings they have worked their entire lives trying to save up.

These are the kind of people who form cults and exploit their followers for money and sex and talk them into committing murder or mass suicide. (Like Jim Jones and Charles Manson)

These are the kind of people who steal little girls and boys from their families and force them into prostitution by feeding them drugs and making them live like cattle as they keep all the money.

These are the kind of people who manipulate their way into a position of leadership and power in a country and end up destroying their own country with their inhumane and selfish laws. (like Hitler)