Getting hostility for being with a dwarf!

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 4:04 pm

Back in 2017 this girl (who is a dwarf) was flirting with at my local nightclub.

The girls friend then angrily came up too me and said "are you making fun of her"

Do you think her friend was being a bit unfair towards me. Looking back i should have stood up too her.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 4:21 pm

Maybe she was flirting with you and found you hard to read. She may have said as much to a friend who, being drunk, acted defensively on her behalf.
Could that be it?

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 5:54 pm

What is this world coming to when one can’t even flirt with a dwarf without getting flak? I’m sorry you had to experience this Jamesy. I hope it works out with the next dwarf you flirt with.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 6:26 pm

In what way were you “being” with a dwarf? Is she a friend of yours?

Dwarves are people, too. There’s usually nothing “wrong” with them aside from their short stature.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 7:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Dwarves are people, too. There’s usually nothing “wrong” with them aside from their short stature.

If she wasnt a dwarf though that girl would not give me the time of day.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 2:00 am

You just might get lucky. Because many dwarves are actually of “high quality” as people.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 2:06 am

Stop hanging out at bars.

If not, stop obsessing about what people say to you at bars.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 3:30 am

Jamesy wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

If you have that view it's certainly going to piss off her and her friend.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 7:48 am

HighLlama wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

If you have that view it's certainly going to piss off her and her friend.

Whats wrong with that view?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 8:50 am

It minimizes the personhood of dwarves. It assumes dwarves are of "lower quality" because they are dwarves.

This social-Darwinist crap just makes my blood boil.

If you continue hanging out in bars, you'll become one of the drunken schmucks in them.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 8:58 am

Jamesy wrote:
Back in 2017 this girl (who is a dwarf) was flirting with at my local nightclub.

The girls friend then angrily came up too me and said "are you making fun of her"

Do you think her friend was being a bit unfair towards me. Looking back i should have stood up too her.

Uh, no. I think her friend was being *protective* of her. You're Aspie, right? So maybe your speech patterns or the cadence of your voice are just a teeny bit *different* - like your small statured friend was *different*. Which can be hard to read if you're not used to Aspies. Not wrong, just *different*.

And your friend's wingman, which is probably what this gal was, has probably seen people taunt her pal way too many times before - especially in *potential date finding places*. Put that experience cache together with a slightly unusual way of speaking, or gesturing, or tone of voice, and yeah, the protective instincts are going to come out, possibly in force.

Sorry, I'm late to this discussion and way too late to help the actual event, but I'd bet this is what was happening.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 9:31 am

I'm glad I was around before the advent of "wingpeople."

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 9:33 am

Me too. I'm not sure how much they help... OTOH I never had to worry about leaving my Guinness on the tabletop to visit the loo. My dating years were long before the Mickey Finn became an acceptable pickup move. There are reasons to be accompanied now that weren't so prominent then... (Ugh).

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 9:37 am

Yep....I know what you mean.

I got turned off to bars after I witnessed the inevitable fights in them at 3 in the morning. I just saw no use for this crap. There aren't too many Mickey Finns in lecture halls, since the drinks are usually individual, and were not opened previously.

I've known quite a few people who have told me that bars are "microcosms of 'real life'." I say: "Balderdash!"

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 9:55 am

^^ ach, the poor things, then. What lives they must lead.

:-)

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 12:56 pm

The dwarfes friend accused of me of drink spiking later that same year (2017).