Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2018, 5:18 pm

I was curious to hear other's opinion of this handheld. I usually play SFIV, MK7, SSB3d and Ironfall

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 1:27 pm

I am. Right now I am playing Fire Emblem Fates.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 4:55 pm

I have one, but never use it. Mostly I have it for Pokemon and... something.

My problem: It's VERY awkward. It's like they just couldnt get the button placements right whatsoever. Or the size. Or... anything. Anything at all. So it's just very uncomfortable, and it's never long before pain starts up.

I mean, since I mostly stick to PC stuff I probably wouldnt be using it much anyway, but Pokemon is at least something, yet I dont even end up doing that due to the problems with the thing.

The Switch, in it's mobile form, has the same issues, but since that can be attached to the TV and I can use a real freaking controller, it stops being a problem.

Not that any of this is too surprising to me. Nintendo has never been good at controllers. Never. Frankly even the "actual controller" for the Switch isnt very well designed, but it's at least less awkward. I'd love for them to just make something that's actually comfortable to hold for once. Freaking Sony can do it, after all.... bah.

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2018, 5:20 pm

I've had mine since 2013. I recently bought Miitopia, which I've been enjoying. Some of my favorite games of all time are on the 3DS, including The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D, Pokémon Omega Ruby, and Kirby Planet Robobot.

I never use the 3D, though. It drains the battery and hurts my eyes. I also don't have one of the "New" models, so I would have to hold mine in a very specific place for the 3D to even work.

I'm surprised Nintendo is still supporting the 3DS when the Switch (which I also have) has been out for a year and a half. I, like many others, assumed they were being less than truthful when they said they weren't ditching the 3DS just yet, but Nintendo's been keeping their word. I don't mind it, but I do hope they don't waste good ideas for Switch games on the 3DS (looking at you, Luigi's Mansion remake. Just imagine how that would look in HD!)

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 6:51 pm

I have one, but I pretty much only play Pokemon on it.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 8:59 pm

I've been playing a lot of Ever Oasis on mine lately.

I use mine for the web browser very often, as well... ¬_¬

I need to get a new SD card I think...or maybe just figure out what to clean off of it (I have a lot of homebrew stuff installed). I've got a few software updates that don't have enough room to download.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 9:15 pm

Yeah I don't use the 3d either. I've been hooked on the DS ever since it was launched back in 2005 or '06. I was big into the Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and COD. I was sad when I found out in 2014 that Nintendo was shutting down the Nintendo WiFi connection for the original DS line. I'd personally rather play a PS Vita where I could play COD online again.

I have a fascination with hand held devices.....tablets, smart phones, radio police scanners etc. The reason I stuck to the Nintendo 3ds is mostly about lack of funds. I bought the 3ds unit used for $50 as opposed to $100+ for the Vita. I find the 3d feature to be overrated but thank God there is a slider switch to deactivate it. That 3ds feature reminds me of Nintendo's lame attempt to 3d closer to the gamer with Virtual Boy! I remember trying it out in the stores when it first came out and I got a headache after only a minute or two of gameplay lol. Those were the days!

Someday I might try Pokemon on 3ds but until then I will stick to the titles I play like SFIV, MK 7, SSB3d and Ironfall.

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2018, 10:38 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I've been playing a lot of Ever Oasis on mine lately.

I use mine for the web browser very often, as well... ¬_¬

I need to get a new SD card I think...or maybe just figure out what to clean off of it (I have a lot of homebrew stuff installed). I've got a few software updates that don't have enough room to download.

Ah yes, I have quite a history with the 3DS web browser. That's how I learned how babies are made. I remember most of the other kids (this happened in middle school) in my class already knew, and I was tired of not being on their level, so I would stay up late doing literal research in secret.

Yeah... probably not the best use for that poor little handheld.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 10:31 pm

I have one. I didn't think it was a particularly great system from Nintendo. A reiteration of the DS with an added 3D gimmick that I never used because it tended to tank the framerate. Also the control placement isn't great and so it's uncomfortable to use for even short play sessions. The C-stick on the newer model is also awful, I don't understand the rationale for using a control with such a lack of tactile response.

It has tons of great games though. On the strength of game library alone, it's the best console I own. It's also a much, much better form factor than the Nintendo Switch. It's a durable portable system that fits in your pocket, fancy that.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 11:15 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
The C-stick on the newer model is also awful, I don't understand the rationale for using a control with such a lack of tactile response.

The only games I've played that use it, they just use it for tilting the camera around, and it's largely optional.

I think Resident Evil: Revelations uses it to a greater extent, but I haven't tried it since getting a "New".

It does bother me that the Web Browser uses it to zoom in and out, though. That particular application seems to have no dead-zone set up, so sometimes it will start slowly zooming by itself on me =/

AlanSmithee
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Sep 2018, 9:53 pm

coalminer wrote:
I never use the 3D, though. It drains the battery and hurts my eyes.

Neither do I -- for the same reasons.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 9:25 am

I just wish the 3D didn't have so much ghosting. I like to enjoy it once in a while (some games are just amazing in 3D), but most of the time, I prefer to have a higher framerate, and some games look a lot better with anti-aliasing enabled.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 9:24 pm

Yes! the 3DS is one of my favourite systems!!

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 10:58 am

Yes, I absolutely LOVE the 3DS! (I have loved all Nintendo's handhelds, from Gameboy via Gameboys Pocket and Color, Advance, SP, and finally DS and 3DS; I still haven't gotten a New 3DS though).

I think the 3DS is absolutely perfect, nothing less. It's light enough to hold so that it doesn't feel heavy (looking at you, original Gameboy!), and the buttons are well placed, and the size very good for my hands.

I have quite a few games for it. The ones I play the most are the series Pokemon, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Dragon Quest, Rune Factory, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, and the stand alone game Fantasy Life.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 11:49 am

Skilpadde wrote:
I have quite a few games for it. The ones I play the most are the series Pokemon, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Dragon Quest, Rune Factory, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, and the stand alone game Fantasy Life.

You still haven't bought Ever Oasis yet??? 8)

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 4:07 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:

You still haven't bought Ever Oasis yet??? 8)
I do have it, I got it last year. It's a great game!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765