Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 1:44 am

Changemaker: Bellevue man living with autism wants to help others understand it

Quote:
Trevor Pacelli knows firsthand how lonely autism can be. He decided to use that experience to try to make the world a less lonely place for other people who are living with autism.

The 25-year-old Bellevue man wrote a book aimed at helping people who are either on the spectrum or who know someone who is.

Pacelli's book is titled "Six-Word Lessons on Growing Up Autistic." It provides 100 lessons illuminating how autistic people see life, designed to help autistic children, their parents, educators, and others.

At this point, however, Pacelli hasn't been able to quite harness that gift professionally. He works a few hours a day doing janitorial work at a Seattle city facility, and he's supported by Northwest Center, a Seattle-based nonprofit that serves children and adults with developmental disabilities.

Pacelli was diagnosed with autism at age 5.

As a toddler, he was slow to talk. Being on the high-functioning end of the autism spectrum, he caught up over the years. He got his license when he turned 16. He graduated from high school, then college at Arizona State University.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman