Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

11 Sep 2018, 1:48 am

Misery wrote:
dan_aspie wrote:
....Wait a minute.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, my memory is frankly a screwy mess half the time... but arent you the same one that had made some posts/topics in the past about WoW? You were trying to quit it, or something? Or there was something off about it and you were stepping away from it... am I making sense here?

Or am I thinking of someone else? .....Or have I just not had my caffiene yet, and I'm confusing everything further?

No I'm the same person. Hello. Yes, you're making sense, where as I'm probably not LOL.

I stepped away from it for a while, but picked it up again after a few months. Now though, well, not so much.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 9:30 pm

The reason why I prefer PC is that you can make the game span 3 TVs at once. You can't usually do that with a console.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 5:28 pm

Not a gamer although I used to be up until I was 18. Remember this discussion came up even then, my friend had a PS2 while I was always using a windows PC and never had a console.

Now, for a fact PC is the strongest and most capable gaming platform, because of the genius invention called mouse + keyboard. You can't play Starcraft or Age of Empires 2 on a console, and shooting games can't fulfill their full potential on it.

However you do have to sit extremely close in front of a screen wheres with a console you can sit with a couple of friends, comfortably on a sofa in front of a huge screen TV playing FIFA while having some beer. And it's a dedicated hardware so that's another appeal.

You can't go wrong with either

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 5:27 pm

Chummy wrote:
Not a gamer although I used to be up until I was 18. Remember this discussion came up even then, my friend had a PS2 while I was always using a windows PC and never had a console.

Now, for a fact PC is the strongest and most capable gaming platform, because of the genius invention called mouse + keyboard. You can't play Starcraft or Age of Empires 2 on a console, and shooting games can't fulfill their full potential on it.

However you do have to sit extremely close in front of a screen wheres with a console you can sit with a couple of friends, comfortably on a sofa in front of a huge screen TV playing FIFA while having some beer. And it's a dedicated hardware so that's another appeal.

You dont actually have to sit super close anymore.

Alot of monitors have support for both PC connections and the typical sorts of connections you'd use to watch TV. But on top of that, some video cards have moved away from the usual PC connectors. My PC doesnt even have those anymore. The video card only outputs via HDMI, and this a very recent and very expensive machine (havent even had it for a month yet). So the connection is effectively universal, and will work with any modern screen of any type. In other words, with modern machines, you can set it up however the heck you like. It's also now possible to use multiple connections. Got both a monitor and a TV? Connect the thing to both the monitor at your desk, and the TV that's wherever else (hell, Steam itself has functions that are built purely around making this work). It's a bit more complicated and something I'm frankly way too lazy to do, but plenty of players indeed do this now.

As for the controls, to me, what makes the PC good on that isnt the fact that it has keyboard/mouse: It's the fact that it has EVERYTHING. Games like Starcraft want a mouse. But things like platformers and shmups (both of which have become more and more popular in recent years) are *horrible* with a keyboard/mouse. Or something like roguelikes/lites/whatever (which have become WAY more popular now) are set up so you get a pretty much equal experience with either keyboard/mouse, or a controller... it's up to you with those games.

You cant have that sort of choice on a console (usually). But PC is all about being able to do whatever, instead of being super restricted.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 5:44 pm

Chummy wrote:
You can't play Starcraft or Age of Empires 2 on a console...

Actually, they did make a Starcraft for the N64 ;)

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 7:59 am

Misery wrote:
Chummy wrote:

You dont actually have to sit super close anymore.

Alot of monitors have support for both PC connections and the typical sorts of connections you'd use to watch TV. But on top of that, some video cards have moved away from the usual PC connectors. My PC doesnt even have those anymore. The video card only outputs via HDMI, and this a very recent and very expensive machine (havent even had it for a month yet). So the connection is effectively universal, and will work with any modern screen of any type. In other words, with modern machines, you can set it up however the heck you like. It's also now possible to use multiple connections. Got both a monitor and a TV? Connect the thing to both the monitor at your desk, and the TV that's wherever else (hell, Steam itself has functions that are built purely around making this work). It's a bit more complicated and something I'm frankly way too lazy to do, but plenty of players indeed do this now.

As for the controls, to me, what makes the PC good on that isnt the fact that it has keyboard/mouse: It's the fact that it has EVERYTHING. Games like Starcraft want a mouse. But things like platformers and shmups (both of which have become more and more popular in recent years) are *horrible* with a keyboard/mouse. Or something like roguelikes/lites/whatever (which have become WAY more popular now) are set up so you get a pretty much equal experience with either keyboard/mouse, or a controller... it's up to you with those games.

You cant have that sort of choice on a console (usually). But PC is all about being able to do whatever, instead of being super restricted.

Well to be honest with you, since I was never really a gamer I found it pointless buying another hardware when everything I need for my internet needs/ university research (+Microsoft Office), Gmail etc. And I used to like RTS and FPS which were pretty much a PC only territory and although Sabbra said there's Starcraft for N64 (is that like a Nintendo or something?) that game is so freaking hard having to do everything manually I don't know how people play it on anything other than a PC.

Then my all time favorite RTS came out, Warcraft 3 and blew Starcraft out of the water... actual 3D, no need to rally peons or stuff,super cool heroes (Tauren Chieftain FTW), creeps etc.. slower gameplay meant I could actually have fun and watch the battles (I am not fast paced when playing games)...

My friend has the newest XBOX whatever it is and several Halo games. I had so much fun playing the first one on the PC I didn't have the same fun playing the newer ones on his console... couldn't control it.

RESleight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2018, 10:37 am

Everything.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

19 Oct 2018, 1:03 am

Both.

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

01 Nov 2018, 6:06 am

I didn't realise that this topic was still going. In any case though, I've settled for my PC. If others (those close to me) don't like it, tough. I didn't pay all that money to make a powerful rig just to see it gather dust in a corner. No no. Assassin's Creed Odyssey, the most powerful game I've got, is running very smoothly, and I'm not even running THE latest hardware.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 2:29 pm

dan_aspie wrote:
I didn't realise that this topic was still going. In any case though, I've settled for my PC. If others (those close to me) don't like it, tough. I didn't pay all that money to make a powerful rig just to see it gather dust in a corner. No no. Assassin's Creed Odyssey, the most powerful game I've got, is running very smoothly, and I'm not even running THE latest hardware.

Yeah, same here.

Hell, I just got a $4500 gaming rig (courtesy of my father... his idea, not mine. Yeah, he's like that). And no way would THAT MUCH have been spent if it wasnt intended to be used CONSTANTLY. Granted, most gamers dont need a machine that ridiculous. This one was built with VR in mind, and VR must be running *perfectly* at all times to prevent... side effects.

The consoles on the other hand, still mostly collecting dust. Though that'll change a bit the moment Smash Ultimate comes out. Boy am I looking forward to that.

But yeah I look at it the same way you do. My friends are all mostly console gamers, but... yeah, I dont care too much. They'll occaisionally complain that I dont join them in the games they play. And I usually am like, well... bloody tough. I aint changing my ways for the occaisional multiplayer game (games that I usually have zero interest in, for that matter).

What really gets me though is how much these devices have changed! Computers used to be these big ugly blocky things that made loads of noise. Now I'm sitting here next to this huge tall thing (completely silent at all times) with a freaking window in it's side. The internal fans all glow red, there's a shifting colorful light at the top, and some weird red pulsing thing in the back. There's a freaking remote to alter the big light at the top, too. I wonder who came up with THAT idea.

In a way though I kinda miss the older machines. Alot, actually. There was just something special about them. At least to me anyway.

Uiteindelijk
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Nov 2018, 8:44 am

dan_aspie wrote:
the screen it's playing on would be huge (say 55" compared to a 24" monitor)

I don't think I saw anyone directly reply, but if your TV has an HDMI cable then you should be able to plug the computer into that instead of the monitor. I have done that on occasion.

That said, I prefer consoles. I don't like the mouse and keyboard. Partly because they limit your mobility, and I tend to move around a lot; I sometimes play with my arms up and bent back behind me, which you certainly can't do with a PC. I also prefer the feel of the controller, especially for shooting: clicking on something never felt as fun to me as pulling a trigger to shoot at something.

I think the main problem for me with PCs though is that they tend to run into problems more frequently. I am the sort who gets very frustrated when my plans go awry, and that has been more common for me with PC than with console, despite having used PC for games less (specifically for games, I am a programmer so I use a PC all day at work). I assume this is in part because I use the PC for non-gaming also, but that doesn't change the facts, and I really try to avoid those frustrations. Even if the issue isn't related to the game itself, I very strongly prefer reliability.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2018, 9:43 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Fnord wrote:
...Diet Mountain Dew
Ewwww....I'll take a crab juice.
Make a saving throw ... at -2 on the die.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 11:06 am

Uiteindelijk wrote:
I don't think I saw anyone directly reply, but if your TV has an HDMI cable then you should be able to plug the computer into that instead of the monitor. I have done that on occasion.

I don't know if they still do, but for a while, they were putting VGA inputs on TVs.

And most video cards these days support dual monitors, so you can plug both in at the same time.

Uiteindelijk wrote:
That said, I prefer consoles. I don't like the mouse and keyboard.

I would say that a good majority of PC games support gamepads/joysticks/etc ;) I prefer mouse+keyboard for FPS games and things like that, but a lot of other games, I've always got a gamepad nearby.

And if you've already got a console that uses Bluetooth for its wireless controllers, it's pretty easy to use those controllers with a PC.

Fnord wrote:

Save vs. which? I got a 6 =(

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 4:04 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Fnord wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:
Fnord wrote:
...Diet Mountain Dew
Ewwww....I'll take a crab juice.

Save vs. which? I got a 6 =(
Poison ... do you have any racial bonuses? Dwarves, for instance, receive dice modifiers for every 4 points of CON.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 10:32 pm

As far as I know, I am human.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 11:16 am

both obviously.