Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 5:39 pm

Misery wrote:
So then... have you accomplished something here?

I don’t know. I expressed my opinion. Do people usually expect to accomplish something with that? Must they?

Misery wrote:
Do you feel superior to everyone here yet, after having posted that stuff?

No, I don’t.

Misery wrote:
Because it kinda sounds like THAT is the actual reason you came into this section. Which is exactly what I meant by "check your own behavior first". I mean, come now... we dont need this kind of immaturity on this forum. We really dont.

Well, are you done psychoanalyzing me, looking for a way to find vile motivations behind an opinion you don’t like?

Misery wrote:
And that's really all I have to say about it, I think. My work here is done, and I'm going back to other topics. Feel free to continue arguing, but it wont be with me. With that, I bid you a good day.

Okay. I probably won’t post much on this forum. It’s hardly worth it if I have to deal with replies like yours every time. If you wanted to scare me off your territory, you can count it as a success. Goodbye.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 12:10 am

I see your responses, Spiderpig. I see, however, that you didnt quite grasp the end of my last one. Surprise.

I'm only going to quote myself here:

Quote:
Feel free to continue arguing, but it wont be with me. With that, I bid you a good day.

Granted, that's only for now. In any future encounters, which I hope there wont be any of, I'll respond as I see fit. As always.

But in THIS rather predictable case... again... I said GOOD DAY, sir. Or madam, whatever.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 9:34 pm

Why is a pre-order required for an online service? I can understand that pre-orders served a purpose in the days of physical media or for hardware but a download or an online service just shouldn't need pre-orders.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 12:23 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Why is a pre-order required for an online service? I can understand that pre-orders served a purpose in the days of physical media or for hardware but a download or an online service just shouldn't need pre-orders.

Required? It isnt. At all.

The reason digital pre-orders exist is because it means these big and usually very greedy companies can get people to pay for a product that DOESNT EXIST YET. In other words, they get your money BEFORE you have a chance to see reviews for the game. Before you have a chance to see something that might make you NOT buy it, in other words. So that when you do get it, if it turns out to be crappy and riddled with microtransactions.... which is often the case... they can basically go "Oops! Too bad we already got your money!"

They even do pre-orders on DLC now. It's ridiculous.

As you say, pre-ordering used to serve an ACTUAL purpose. But these big companies realized that most people dont actually think through or research things before buying, and will now use that to their advantage as much as possible.

banana247
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Oct 2018, 1:22 pm

Did the OP get a discount for pre-ordering? Because that's been my observation, that pre-orders often come with some kind of collector's item, special packaging, or bonus content in the case of digital, or they are simply available at a lower price. That way, you have some sort of incentive in buying before it comes out.

OP, I'm also interested in hearing your reviews of the service now that (hopefully) it's been released and you've gotten to use it! I am not a huge gamer anymore, but I am considering saving up for a Switch, one of the incentives being the ability to download/play the classics!

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 7:56 pm

banana247 wrote:
Did the OP get a discount for pre-ordering? Because that's been my observation, that pre-orders often come with some kind of collector's item, special packaging, or bonus content in the case of digital, or they are simply available at a lower price. That way, you have some sort of incentive in buying before it comes out.

OP, I'm also interested in hearing your reviews of the service now that (hopefully) it's been released and you've gotten to use it! I am not a huge gamer anymore, but I am considering saving up for a Switch, one of the incentives being the ability to download/play the classics!

Just as a quick note: The versions of classic games they offer tend to.... not be very good. They've always used a rather crappy, lazy emulation for those. Hell, they cant even get the colors quite right half the time. You'll often get things that are darker or brighter than they're supposed to be... usually considered unacceptable when it comes to emulation. Among other issues that can pop up.

I used to use their Virtual Console function myself, and.... yeah, it honestly wasnt very good. I've ended up just downloading every NES and SNES game ever, and running them on the PC. Muuuuuuch better experience.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 10:06 pm

I only ever bought one of Nintendo's Virtual Console games. Never again. It was Paper Mario; I bought it even though it's perfectly able to be run in emulation but wanted to support the developer. It ran at 50Hz at 5/6 game speed, slowed down music, with messed up aspect ratio. Turns out most of their classic games run like this here because they continue to upload terrible 50Hz conversions.

Why? Who knows. Nintendo is a pretty terrible company when it comes to adapting to new technology. They consistently release extremely old technology for years after everyone has moved on. Bundling ancient cables like SCART and composite well after component or HDMI has been around, releasing systems with wireless b when wireless n is predominant. Talking about and patenting VR features for their Switch console, like they don't realise the gap in tech between them and their competitors make it a laughably bad proposition. They probably think everyone is still playing on CRTs.

KirbyReferenceHere
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2018, 11:07 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
I only ever bought one of Nintendo's Virtual Console games. Never again. It was Paper Mario; I bought it even though it's perfectly able to be run in emulation but wanted to support the developer. It ran at 50Hz at 5/6 game speed, slowed down music, with messed up aspect ratio. Turns out most of their classic games run like this here because they continue to upload terrible 50Hz conversions.

Why? Who knows. Nintendo is a pretty terrible company when it comes to adapting to new technology. They consistently release extremely old technology for years after everyone has moved on. Bundling ancient cables like SCART and composite well after component or HDMI has been around, releasing systems with wireless b when wireless n is predominant. Talking about and patenting VR features for their Switch console, like they don't realise the gap in tech between them and their competitors make it a laughably bad proposition. They probably think everyone is still playing on CRTs.

Unfortunately Nintendo seems to always be like this. I understand it can make a console cheaper but I think it ultimately hurts them. I don't know how many VC games can't be 100% but I do know that their Kirby’s dream land 3, some visual effects do not work and if I remember correctly had a similar slow down issue. Kirby's adventure has a huge lag issue due to how many sprites they were on screen which they could of fixed but instead waited until they re-leased on the 3DS. The Wii versions were never never fixed and on top of that were packaged in a game years later.

But to answer the original question, I'd probably say so. Nintendo hasn't even used any money to improve servers which I was hoping they’d do with splatoon 2. As for the games, they're fun but I'm not sure if it's worth $20. I forgot to add that most games don't even support cloud saves too.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 3:17 pm

KirbyReferenceHere wrote:
Unfortunately Nintendo seems to always be like this. I understand it can make a console cheaper but I think it ultimately hurts them. I don't know how many VC games can't be 100% but I do know that their Kirby’s dream land 3, some visual effects do not work and if I remember correctly had a similar slow down issue. Kirby's adventure has a huge lag issue due to how many sprites they were on screen which they could of fixed but instead waited until they re-leased on the 3DS. The Wii versions were never never fixed and on top of that were packaged in a game years later.

But to answer the original question, I'd probably say so. Nintendo hasn't even used any money to improve servers which I was hoping they’d do with splatoon 2. As for the games, they're fun but I'm not sure if it's worth $20. I forgot to add that most games don't even support cloud saves too.

I thought Splatoon 2 didn't even have match servers? I'm not sure I'm phrasing it right, but isn't each match "hosted" by one of the players or something? I don't remember what they call it.

In any case, it's Nintendo, they're likely to never fix anything.

All I care about at this point with them is Smash. I have a Switch but so far I could pretty much call it the "portable Isaac machine" since that's the one and only thing it gets used for. Once Smash is out though.... finally the stupid thing will get used and I do plan on getting their stupid online service. But it'll only be used for that one game and nothing else. Whether or not it'll be worth it though, I don't know. I remember the previous Smash had it's connection all over the place. But it was a good experience much of the time, even if the fights were a bit bloody boring with everything turned off.