Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 11:54 am

So I decided to preorder Nintendo's online service for the Switch, so I can play multiplayer in the future, as well as play the 20+ NES games that came with it. I am now regretting that decision. You see, not much has been revealed, and Nintendo was very vague about the release date in "the second half of September", so I don't know when that will happen.

I was hoping that today's Direct would answer my questions; instead, I will get nothing because of a stupid earthquake that I really don't care about, so now I won't know about it until it is too late.

I feel like I messed up here, because I stupidly wasted $20 that I will never get back. I preordered from Game Stop about a month ago, and now I am questioning everything because the as*holes at Nintendo decided to be f*****g vague about EVERYTHING!! !

I want to punch something now. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2018, 12:35 pm

The ultimate lesson here is don't preorder anything, especially vague services, it's largely going to end up burning you because even if you get what you expected, you won't even know if it was good until it is too late.

The reality, though, is that you likely will be given access to the service around about the time they suggested. If they don't give you that much, along with all other paying customers who could draw up lawsuits if they wanted to, they'll end up damaging themselves greatly.

I suppose only time will tell.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 5:04 pm

Yeah, gonna echo what was said above: DONT. PREORDER. ANYTHING.

Do you know what preorders were created for? They were meant to be a tool for the buyer. When a new game was coming out, stores... actual physical stores... could only get so many in the initial shipment. So they came up with pre-orders, a way where you could pay them a bit beforehand to guarantee that you got one of the initial shipment.

But that wasnt all. Firstly, the pre-orders didnt really profit the store. Most pre-orders were about $5, and that just went directly towards your purchase... it didnt add to the cost of the game. And second, when the pre-orders for that initial shipment were used up, they simply stopped accepting any. And if, when the game released, you couldnt make it to the store, or perhaps decided against the purchase? Well hey, it was only $5 at least, so no big deal. The store would keep that, and just take the copy you didnt end up buying, and sell it later. The whole thing worked out well for everyone involved.

In other words, it was originally a purely PRACTICAL concept, since those werent digital (and thus infinite) products. But all these big publishers these days have... perverted it. Now, it's a method they use to get you to pay for something (in full, usually) BEFORE IT EVEN FULLY EXISTS. That's IT. It has no *practical* function whatsoever (even if you're buying a physical copy of something; since so many players buy digitally now, physical copies of games dont run out even REMOTELY as fast as they used to, so even physical preorders just arent important anymore). If you start watching these sorts of things, you might notice that MOST situations where you can pre-order something now will have some aspect that's really vague. They dont want you to know too much yet, because they might not get your money if you do.

So.... yeah. Just dont preorder... ever. For any reason. No matter what damn stupid thing they tell you, it's NOT NECESSARY or even useful. It used to be, way back when, but not anymore.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 5:37 pm

*Looks at the forum title*

Quote:
Games and Video Games

*Looks at the thread title*

Quote:
Did I Waste $20 Here?

Yes, you did.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 9:16 pm

Sorry to hear that

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 2:02 am

Spiderpig wrote:

Quote:
Games and Video Games

Quote:
Did I Waste $20 Here?

Yes, you did.

Dont... dont do that.

If you dont understand or dont like a particular hobby, hey, that's fine. But do not bash those who are into it or give them the "OMG UR WASTING UR TIME" lecture. It's very rude.

And as someone who has A: dramatically improved coordination, reflexes, and mental processing speed (seriously, I'm *very* fast), and also has had actual opportunities appear as a result of this mere "hobby" (as in, a paid development contract, among other things, and that came to ME, mind you, I didnt need to search it out), I can tell you... no, it's not a waste. Like any hobby, you never know where things will take you. In my case... it's been a pretty wild ride. I've made friends from it, ended up finally taking the plunge into travelling on my own due to it, as well as the aforementioned things. A full explanation of any of those would be very long, but suffice it to say, it's all been beneficial. And there's more positive things that have resulted than just those I list here.

Oh, and let's not forget a heck of alot of knowledge about computers. Hell, I taught myself basic programming as a kid due to this. This is actually pretty common among gamers.

So.... yeah. Dont do that. Just dont. Simply because you yourself dont understand or like something, doesnt mean it's a waste for someone else to do it.

Speaking of... what are you even doing here, if you think that way about these? Perhaps consider your own actions, before bashing someone else, because this seems like a pretty darned childish thing to do.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 2:44 am

Spiderpig wrote:

Quote:
Games and Video Games

Quote:
Did I Waste $20 Here?

Yes, you did.

unnecessary post

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 8:41 am

Misery wrote:
Dont... dont do that.

If you dont understand or dont like a particular hobby, hey, that's fine. But do not bash those who are into it or give them the "OMG UR WASTING UR TIME" lecture. It's very rude.

Don’t tell me what I can’t do. It’s very rude.

By the way, I’m not lecturing anyone. Someone asked if she wasted twenty dollars. She didn’t say only opinions in favor of spending money on video games are allowed. To me, a cent is a cent too much.

Kiprobalhato wrote:
unnecessary post

I don’t even know if you’re still a moderator. Are you one and do you actually mean my post is not allowed? If so, please say it outright. You know, autism and all that. If not, well, I consider both your post and Misery’s unnecessary, but I don’t normally bother to say something like this, because it’s obvious you didn’t post them to satisfy my needs.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 8:22 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Misery wrote:
Dont... dont do that.

Don’t tell me what I can’t do. It’s very rude.

By the way, I’m not lecturing anyone. Someone asked if she wasted twenty dollars. She didn’t say only opinions in favor of spending money on video games are allowed. To me, a cent is a cent too much.

*facedesk*

If you actually read the OP, I think you know full well what they meant by "did I waste 20 dollars". Actually, no... you dont need to read the original post to know. The topic itself immediately suggests that the meaning is "did I waste money WITHIN THE CONTEXT of this hobby?". And you know what, I think you know that. Yet you posted anyway. Again, rude. Very rude, and frankly, a little nasty. If anyone I knew acted like that, I'd smack them for it.

And yes, you are lecturing people. You came into here... a section of the forum that CLEARLY has absolutely nothing to do with ANYTHING you like or engage with (and more specifically, something you CLEARLY dislike), and more specifically, a section of the forum CLEARLY dedicated towards a VERY specific hobby and ONLY that hobby... just to post what absolutely is a statement that says to everyone "you are wasting any time OR money you spend, if it's spent on that hobby". That, sir or madam, is lecturing. Yet it wont change anyone's mind on anything, or have any effect other than irritating people, and I think you just might know that as well. If you dont, well... now you do.

So then... have you accomplished something here? Do you feel superior to everyone here yet, after having posted that stuff? Because it kinda sounds like THAT is the actual reason you came into this section. Which is exactly what I meant by "check your own behavior first". I mean, come now... we dont need this kind of immaturity on this forum. We really dont.

And that's really all I have to say about it, I think. My work here is done, and I'm going back to other topics. Feel free to continue arguing, but it wont be with me. With that, I bid you a good day.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 8:29 pm

i concur with misery - preordering is usually not worth it. i've never done it.

then again i've mostly only played older games.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 9:59 pm

I preorder pretty frequently, but I don't see any issues. If something doesn't work or you don't like it get a refund. I've refunded tons of titles back to Steam, it's pretty much the only way to try certain types of niche games which typically don't have a demo, any media coverage, or even so much as a store page trailer.

Indominus
Raven
Raven

08 Sep 2018, 11:01 pm

Man, whatever happened to those Gamestop preorders 10 years ago?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 1:53 am

10 years passed.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 5:34 pm

Cloudflare’s infinite captcha loop is on again. I’ll have to split my post into small pieces.

Misery wrote:
*facedesk*

If you actually read the OP,

I did—no if needed. It’s just that it doesn’t change my opinion.

Misery wrote:
I think you know full well what they meant by "did I waste 20 dollars". Actually, no... you dont need to read the original post to know. The topic itself immediately suggests that the meaning is "did I waste money WITHIN THE CONTEXT of this hobby?". And you know what, I think you know that.

Of course I do.

Misery wrote:
Yet you posted anyway.

Because I do think she wasted her money anyway.

Misery wrote:
Again, rude. Very rude, and frankly, a little nasty.

I don’t think answering an open question on a public forum with your own opinion is rude or nasty. We don’t have to agree. On the other hand, going out of your way like you did to tell someone off for replying to someone else’s question is pretty rude and nasty if you ask me.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 5:36 pm

Misery wrote:
If anyone I knew acted like that, I'd smack them for it.

So that’s your actual point: that you’re stronger than me (you probably are, but it still beats me how you can afford to assume that when a random stranger says something you don’t like to someone else online) and that therefore I shouldn’t say anything you don’t like to anyone, because you’d physically assault me if you met me in real life. Well, I’m glad you don’t know me in real life. If I lived among people like you, I guess I’d need a gun for self-defence. Fortunately, you don’t make the rules here, so I’ll continue to use the forums on the terms set forth by alex and the moderators.

I know this probably makes me a coward in almost everyone’s view. At any rate, I don’t mean anyone here any harm. I like the free exchange of ideas and have a hard time thinking ideas themselves can be harmful just because you don’t like them; at worst, you ignore them and to you they cease to exist.

Misery wrote:
And yes, you are lecturing people. You came into here... a section of the forum that CLEARLY has absolutely nothing to do with ANYTHING you like or engage with (and more specifically, something you CLEARLY dislike), and more specifically, a section of the forum CLEARLY dedicated towards a VERY specific hobby and ONLY that hobby...

It’d be nice if you stopped making gratuitous assumptions about what I like or engage in. Unless, of course, you only count as engaging in something the instances in which you spend money, which is what I opined against. And it’s still irrelevant.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 5:37 pm

Misery wrote:
just to post what absolutely is a statement that says to everyone "you are wasting any time OR money you spend, if it's spent on that hobby". That, sir or madam, is lecturing.

In other words, you’re offended because you don’t like my opinion and therefore call it lecturing, even though I replied with a single sentence and probably wouldn’t have taken part in the thread again if you hadn’t gone out of your way to chew me off. I don’t think I’m exactly the one lecturing here.

Misery wrote:
Yet it wont change anyone's mind on anything,

Then why do you feel the need to suppress it? Just let it die naturally. People are free to change their minds or not in response to anything.

Misery wrote:
or have any effect other than irritating people,

You always run the risk that people who don’t like different opinions will be irritated by reading yours.

Misery wrote:
and I think you just might know that as well. If you dont, well... now you do.

No, I just know there’s a particular user I knew basically nothing about so far, who got incredibly bent out of shape for no apparent reason when I posted something not addressed to him that he obviously didn’t like. That only tells me something about you.