NT & ASD people both! Tell me about your sneezing!

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Choose the option that applies to you
I am neurotypical and I often sneeze when I go into the sun. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am on the autism spectrum and I often sneeze when I go into the sun. 33%  33%  [ 6 ]
I am neurotypical and I never sneeze when I go into the sun 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am on the autism spectrum and I never sneeze when I go into the sun. 67%  67%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 18

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 11:30 pm

Are you a sun sneezer? Do you have the photic sneeze reflex?
I am curious if autistic people who often have different sensory processing are more or less likely to have the photic sneeze reflex. Here's a cool youtube video explaining what I mean by the photic sneeze reflex:

Last edited by Fern on 06 Sep 2018, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 11:32 pm

Yes, I'm a sun sneezer.

I also sneeze when I eat chocolate. :?

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 11:34 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Yes, I'm a sun sneezer.

I also sneeze when I eat chocolate. :?

cool! Be sure to vote in the poll though, so that I can count your response. Right now I only see my own vote for "yes" to sun sneezing.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 11:37 pm

Interesting.

https://www.amanochocolate.com/faqs/why ... le-sneeze/

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 11:39 pm

I have no idea. I do sneeze a lot, and warm weather does seem to make it worse. But is it the sun? Or just heat?

I do have seasonal allergies, and I think stuff does tend to float around more in the spring and summer than the winter, so that seems to be a more likely culprit than the sun.

In any case, I haven't yet voted yet because I'm not really sure of my answer.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 11:43 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
I have no idea. I do sneeze a lot, and warm weather does seem to make it worse. But is it the sun? Or just heat?

I do have seasonal allergies, and I think stuff does tend to float around more in the spring and summer than the winter, so that seems to be a more likely culprit than the sun.

Here's an easy way to test it: walk outside during the day and look toward the sky. If you immediately sneeze (within 30 s), it's likely the photic reflex. Also, if closing your eyes when you go outside stops this effect, then that's even stronger evidence that you have the photic reflex.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 2:10 am

I had enough with sneezing and sinuses in this whole lifetime already. :x Almost every damned day for most of my waking life. I won't be surprised if it screwed my head and it's anatomy.

The Sun and it's light, at least that it's always been clear, that it's not one of the vague reasons why I sneeze.

I don't only have chronic allergic reaction of sneezing, it may as well be at least 3 kinds of idiopathic allergy. It could be whenever I lay down, it could be some person on the same room, it could be my hormones. Or flat out no apparent reason.

And, it's inherited -- less likely from autism and it's sensory system, more like at my mom's dad's side of the family and being unlucky enough to be born with it.

If it relates to autism; my sense of smell is more sensitive than the average, just constantly muffled and rendered useless for reasons above.
Strong smells don't trigger sneezing, but 'sharp' and 'stinging' like smell does.

Anyway if one asks, I'd do everything just to get rid of it, even if it comes down to getting rid of autism would mean getting rid of the chronic sinusitis.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 5:23 am

I'm not sure how to vote on this one...I know I used to be able to sneeze by looking at bright lights, but it doesn't really work anymore. Perhaps it has to do with my vision having worsened as I aged?

Hmm, no, that can't be it, because bright light is still bright light, just a little softer in focus...

:?

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 5:38 am

My husband and daughter have the sunshine sneeze reflex... but they're the ones who aren't on the spectrum!
So that's a "no" from me.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Sep 2018, 7:38 am

I picked option 4 but I hesitated, because "never" is a very strong word. I sneeze occasionally (like a few times in a year, maybe?), and as far as I am aware, there is no correlation with going out into the sun. But I couldn't swear that I have literally never, by coincidence, sneezed upon going out into the sun. I assumed that within the spirit of the survey, that meant i should say never. But it would have been easier to answer if you had not used such a strong word as never. "Often" and "never" are not opposites, and they don't cover all the possibilities.

Last edited by strings on 07 Sep 2018, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 7:41 am

I have an NT cousin that sneezes when he looks toward the sun. It was fun as kids to ask him to do it purposely. It doesn't affect me that way. I can curl my tongue into a tube though. I know some people can't.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 8:35 am

I don't think it has anything to do with whether you're on the spectrum or not. Bright light makes me sneeze, but it does a lot of neurotypical people that I know.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 2:49 pm

I'm pretty sure I don't sneeze when I go into sunlight or any bright light source.

I do sneeze and get a runny nose quite a bit for no obvious reason. It seems most common after I get up and before I go to bed. I must be allergic to being awake. :lol:

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 9:22 pm

Fern wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:

Here's an easy way to test it: walk outside during the day and look toward the sky. If you immediately sneeze (within 30 s), it's likely the photic reflex. Also, if closing your eyes when you go outside stops this effect, then that's even stronger evidence that you have the photic reflex.

So, I still don't know!

I walked outside and looked toward the sky, and immediately thought the sky was bright and had to look away. I got a tickle in my nose, which may or may not have been related to the sky, but didn't sneeze.

Maybe if I could have kept looking at the sky, I might have sneezed. I could probably have looked at the sky for a longer period if I'd waited for my eyes to adjust, but if I'm waiting for my eyes to adjust before looking at the sky, I think that's defeating the purpose.
:D

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 9:22 am

When I sneeze, I am almost always indoors. I don't ever, as far as I know, sneeze when I'm out in the sun.