Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Regeniversity
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2018, 2:28 am

I saw a comment in another thread that seemed to trying to initiate this discussion, but I don't feel that the others in the thread really picked up on it.

How do you go about deciding what kind of job you should pursue?

Here's background of myself (since I'm literally asking this question because right now it seems like there is not anything I could make myself do for money again)
so obviously it is necessary to trade my time and energy for the ability to access certain mining-products/sustenance while inhabiting a place with only the socioeconomic infrastructure of domestic civilization. I've had a couple jobs. One was mostly manual labor at an urban farm/garden center but as I worked there longer I began to do more and more interacting with customers and running the register up front (part time job turned into sometimes 50+ hours a week and running the whole place alone while the owner ran errands because I couldn't say no). I ended up quitting that job in the middle of a day because it built up too much and there was a trigger event and I just couldn't do it anymore since I didn't even want to be making money to buy sustenance or engagement with in the first place. Then I tried doing my own freelancing gardening in other peoples yards but that IMMEDIATELY fell apart before it started because I couldn't even do the minimum social interaction required to follow through with the people who called me, interested in my services.. my first experience with a job was pretty young I didn't even know what was happening but my dad got me a job delivering newspapers and it was HORRIBLE had to wake up even earlier than I would normally to deliver and then.. the dreaded collection day would come and I'd have to knock on the door of each stranger I delivered to and ask them to pay me for the paper. So many people who didn't want to pay and either straight out refused or made up stories that went on for months and rhey never ended up paying..
I'm rather tired so this is probably not laid out in the most efficient way. My experience working has not been great, especially since I view participating in civilization as immoral (but let's not get into this because in my experience it is almost guaranteed that there will not be understanding between people on the topic).

I've been trying to think about what I would "want" my job to entail and I really don't know how I could decide that because there is nothing that I do now that anyone would pay me for and I don't know how I could do anything that I want to do and don't already do.

I guess the most important characteristics of a job for me would be... paid in cash off the record, minimal social interaction or at least interaction with people I can relate to about something specific and complicated, flexible scheduling, coworkers ideally present but working mostly independently, doesn't require going bacj to school for a degree, no longterm commitment needed (I'm just trying to save as much as I can in a few years and then I'm out), occupied mind and hands, able to walk around regularly, probably something to generate ideas/designs/plans, preferably related to ecology, horticulture, or something creative done with the hands.

also, I'm not a fan of applications and official interviews and s**t like that. I have had much more success in the past reaching out directly to business owners and asking to just have a conversation face to face about the possibility of working with them (I mean that's how I got the one "real" job I've had) I also think this works best if I'm trying to get a job that I entails work i actually want to do (even if I'd rather not get paid for it and buy food from stores to survive) because then I can right away build a relationship with that person about the work.

Okay I didn't plan out any of this post ahead of time and I'm too tired to go back through and edit it right now so hopefully it makes sense and provides enough basis for responding to be desirable.

Thanks for reading..

TempeFan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Sep 2018, 9:35 am

I too needed an answer to this question when I was your age, before I wasted all that money on college and decades of time trying to start a career. When I was young and pretty, I had no difficulty getting a job but when they found out I was great at doing the job but not great at brown nosing and certainly not interested in sleeping my way to the top, I was fired for not being generic and mediocre enough to fit in. Now as an educated female over 50 who has been maimed and illegally terminated by too many corrupt employers, I do not have access to a job of any kind.

As a young male you have options. If nepotism isn't one of them, register at all the staffing agencies in your area You can work as much as you want while trying out different things until you find something. Learn to say no. Overdoing it will continue to get you overworked and forced to quit from the impossible demands. Doing the job with higher quality and quantity than those around you, will get you fired faster than being lazy or lousy at the work. The only way to stay employed in America today without lying, cheating, stealing and manipulating others is to fit in by being mediocre and generic.

Regeniversity
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Sep 2018, 1:10 pm

I actually only made this post one day when I was extra delusional. In reality I have no desire to live a life in this reality and am continuing to do my best to get the f**k out of this existence as soon as I can.

TempeFan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Oct 2018, 8:19 pm

Ah, so retire on disability for having Autism and move into the forest. Sounds like fun.

Regeniversity
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2018, 6:12 pm

that wasn't my plan. using money to survive is immoral.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 11:56 pm

Regeniversity wrote:
using money to survive is immoral.

Why?

Regeniversity
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Oct 2018, 9:38 am

because money is a tool created by and for institutions to more effectively use biological life as fuel.
if you rely on money for survival that means you're buying things that you need to survive like food from stores (which is usually a product of large scale longterm agriculture - probably one of the most counterproductive things we've ever done as a species) and the other resources that are provided to domesticated humans through the extractive processes that keep civilization feeding.

to be clear, civilization (at least in this context) is not a synonym for society. by civilization I mean specifically the socioeconomic infrastructure of domestic cultures, which is pretty much inherently based on agriculture. agriculture is not a synonym for growing food, by the way... by agriculture I mean quite literally the cultivation of fields through repeatedly simulated catastrophe. of course modern people don't JUST practice agriculture we practice intensive agriculture where we make sure to strip the soil f*****g bare in between the rows of monocropped annuals.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 10:17 am

Regeniversity wrote:
because money is a tool created by and for institutions to more effectively use biological life as fuel.
if you rely on money for survival that means you're buying things that you need to survive like food from stores (which is usually a product of large scale longterm agriculture - probably one of the most counterproductive things we've ever done as a species) and the other resources that are provided to domesticated humans through the extractive processes that keep civilization feeding.

to be clear, civilization (at least in this context) is not a synonym for society. by civilization I mean specifically the socioeconomic infrastructure of domestic cultures, which is pretty much inherently based on agriculture. agriculture is not a synonym for growing food, by the way... by agriculture I mean quite literally the cultivation of fields through repeatedly simulated catastrophe. of course modern people don't JUST practice agriculture we practice intensive agriculture where we make sure to strip the soil f*****g bare in between the rows of monocropped annuals.

Money (including paper currency, coinage, bitcoins, checks, credit cards, debit cards) is a convenient tool for exchange of goods and services. It has been around for millennia. It is very convenient when compared to an earlier tool called the barter system.

Without the system of money one might expect mass starvation. Think about the Great Depression. So I definitely do not believe using money to survive by buying food or land to grow food or equipment and supplies to facilitate growing food, or food storage equipment as immoral. I have grown my own food and processed my food for storage. It is hard work and there are years when my production of food is affected by the seasons, by the insects, by the wild pest that feed on them by many other variables. Some harvest are good, some are bad. You might try and survive by growing your own food without the use of money and then check back with me after a couple years.

Regeniversity
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2018, 8:54 am

I sincerely wish that I could communicate to you the apparent exclusions of your perspective. Millennia is not a very long time.