2nd Season “Atypical” - Autistic Actors in recurring roles

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 1:00 am

Atypical’ Team on Bringing ‘More Voices From the Autism Community’ in Season 2

Quote:
The second season of “Atypical,” which bows Sept. 7 on Netflix, features a number of actors on the autism spectrum in prominent recurring roles.

But if “Atypical” faced any criticism, it was of the lack of actors on the spectrum featured on the series in the first season, so in the second season, some of these actors will play autistic characters as members of Sam’s peer group, while others were cast as neurotypical teenagers.

“Before season two, Robia and I sat down and we talked about what we were going to do, and she brought it up that there was the potential of this peer group and that they were going to hire all actors that were on the spectrum. And it was like, well, I thought I was going to coast a little bit this season and now that’s a whole new challenge,” Gilchrist admitted. “Some part of me felt like I’m playing them, not that they’re all the same, but it was a huge added pressure. I was so nervous, you can’t put into words how nervous I was, but it turned out to be so much fun.”

And producers didn’t want to just be more inclusive on-screen.

“[We’re] bringing in more female directors and female diversity and it was really important to keep doing that,” said Rohlich.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

thanh5990q
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Sep 2018, 11:01 am

thank you for sharing

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 1:31 pm

thanh5990q wrote:
thank you for sharing

You are welcome

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 2:15 pm

I liked the second season even more than the first. It sucks to have to wait so long for a third assuming there will be one.

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2018, 12:11 am

I hated the first season...can't believe I kept watching it. However, the second season was very good.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 7:14 pm

It was very refreshing to see the addition of autistic actors. I hope there are more of them in the 3rd season, maybe when Sam goes to college. All of his group session mates were great. If I was in high school I would have totally been enamored with Noelle.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 7:31 pm

I liked the group session scenes.

and some great acting too :wink:

second season was definitely better than the first. Zahid is hilarious. I also like the scene at the end where Sam says "I've matured into a woman" lol

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2018, 10:37 pm

I hated Zahid in the first season...thought he was so over the top, but he was a good character this season...the writers "humanized" him and showed his flaws.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 11:34 am

I liked season 2! I thought it was a major improvement over season 1. I am glad they introduced cast members who were actually Autistic onto the show. I thought the scenes with the group were one of the highlights of the show. I do hope Netflix renews it for a third season!

I do hope Robia Rashid conveys the differences between college and high school in season 3. There are many positive differences. One is that people generally are more mature in college and you do get a lot more freedom as opposed to in high school. However, college is a much faster-paced environment than high school. It can take time for someone to grow used to that. It was a challenge for me and still is now. College students generally have to learn to improve their time management skills.

Disability services are much less intensive as well. They are standardized.

It will be interesting to see how these differences affect Sam, along with his friends and family.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 7:17 pm

Nik Dodani is hilarious! I agree that Zahid is more humanized in season 2.

LookWhoItIs wrote:
I hated Zahid in the first season...thought he was so over the top, but he was a good character this season...the writers "humanized" him and showed his flaws.

neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 6:40 pm

I've been 'binge-watching' both seasons of this show, and I think it's been a decent representation of an ASD character, despite a few flaws I've noticed.

I very much doubt repeating names of familiar species of penguins can help reduce stress, especially to someone higher-functioning (I think it would be like a NT repeating 1,2,3,4 over and over), but I feel a little less ashamed to feel 'different' as someone who has an ASD after watching this.

I'm still gonna recommend this to friends and family, and those on the spectrum :)

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

24 Sep 2018, 8:21 pm

I liked season 1, but I loved season 2. Zahid is totally my favorite character. He's hilarious! I wish there had been more of Paige in season 2, though. She's my second-favorite character, and she reminds me of myself much more than Sam. Probably because she's so talkative, and I'm an Aspie who rambles. I will admit that I was envious of Sam's preparing-for-college group. I so wish I had had that as a teen. Now, I wasn't diagnosed until college, but still... Really enjoyed the season 2 cliffhanger. I agree that it is hard to know that another season won't be out for a year or so, considering I watched all of season 2 in one night.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I get a kick out of how Atypical seems to hire actors who had bit parts on Riverdale, which is one of my special interests. Last season, the bartender (I forget his name!) was played by the college music professor Archie went to see in season one, and Nate was played by the actor who was Nick St. Clair in season two.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 8:47 pm

I've selectively re-watched just the support group scenes over and over. They were some of my favorite scenes of season 2.