Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 1:12 am

The Progressive Happy Hour: Disability and Inclusion in the Progressive Movement

Quote:
Structural and social inequity has long been at the forefront of the progressive movement, and over time, activists have become increasingly thoughtful about ensuring diverse and meaningful representation of marginalized communities. But disability rights activists and people with disabilities have noticed that disability representation and inclusion is one issue that continues to be underrepresented in progressive spaces.

In the September 7 episode of “The Progressive Happy Hour,” co-host Drew Courtney and guest host Diallo Brooks talk to Rachna Sizemore Heizer, disability rights activist and board member of the Virginia Autism Project, about the fight for a more inclusive progressive movement that incorporates disability not just as a health care issue, but as an issue that affects people in every aspect of their lives.

Heizer explained, “When we talk about disability, most people think still of physical disability. We’ve come a long way in our society in accepting physical disability as part of the norm, but what we don’t talk about often is the fastest growing type of disability—intellectual and developmental disabilities, what often is referred to as hidden disabilities—PTSD, autism, Asperger’s [Syndrome], dyslexia, etc. The lack of understanding, awareness, accommodation and acceptance for hidden disabilities is a huge problem in our society that is, not to make a pun, still rather hidden.”

People with disabilities are discriminated against “just for existing,” Heizer noted. She shared a personal anecdote as one example: her son, who is autistic, enjoys music by pacing back and forth, and while doing so at a restaurant hosting a live musician recently, a man sitting at the restaurant bar complained to the manager about his pacing. She noted, “We need to expand what we consider normal behavior.”

Heizer urged progressive activists to reconsider their assumptions about disability and reframe the way they think about the issue. She said, “There is a lack of awareness and inclusion at the most basic level: ‘We see you as part of the valuable diversity of the human experience.’ It’s a blind spot in the progressive movement—we don’t see disability as a valued part of diversity.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 9:45 pm

We need to get rid of that blind spot once and for all. I would like to see every handicapped person who wants a job to be offered a job and it must be a job that they're interested in. I would like every handicapped person who wants to live independently to be offered a low income house or apartment where they will be able to do so. I hope that I will be able to see those two groundbreaking things happen in my lifetime. People can offer us jobs. There's no reason for them to be afraid.

evilsithwraith666
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Oct 2018, 2:57 am

If successful, with every single individual who is not a neurotypical heterosexual white male being represented in a progressive movement- such a movement would literally encompass every single community, town and nearly every household in America. But I struggle to see how it could deliver. Aspies think differently, unless the environment in which we work is reconstructed from the bottom up, our ability to be productive at neurotypical rates might be limited. A person not able to move their legs is very different from a person who doesn’t even process thoughts & senses in the same way.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2018, 11:30 am

evilsithwraith666 wrote:
Aspies think differently, unless the environment in which we work is reconstructed from the bottom up, our ability to be productive at neurotypical rates might be limited. A person not able to move their legs is very different from a person who doesn’t even process thoughts & senses in the same way.

Agreed on the need to construct such environments. That will require organization. The autistic community itself will need to become much bigger and better organized, AND it will need a lot more help from the NT-dominated autism parents' community as well. (And the NT-dominated autism parents' community is much more likely to give the autistic community the kinds of help it needs, rather than the kinds of "help" it doesn't need, once the autistic community itself gets bigger and better organized.)

Problem: Autistic social impairments -- and executive functioning impairments -- make it hard to organize. We need to find creative ways to work around these problems.

But more organization, especially on a local level, is absolutely essential to being taken seriously in politics, and also absolutely essential to improving the lives of autistic people generally.