Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

HPLFan
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Sep 2018, 3:36 am

My wife and I have always struggled because we see things so differently. She comes from a childhood with abuse mental, physical and sexual. She's got severe commitment issues (we dated exclusively for 4 years, were engaged 3 times, before she finally went through with marriage). She never seems to take any responsibility for any difficulties she causes, instead blaming it all on me. When it comes to making decisions, she won't, but then blames me if there's a bad outcome and claims I'm too controlling.

It's only been a year and a half, maybe, since I was diagnosed. We're both in our 40s, been married 6 years. Once I got the diagnosis, she was thrilled. In her eyes, she finally had a reason for all the problems we've had. She's been seeing a counselor lately, I went with her the first few times, but I stopped because it was clear he didn't understand aspergers. The counselor is trying to convince her that I'm dealing with some sort of PTSD and that as long as she stays the stable one in the family, our son will turn out okay.

Here's the thing, since the diagnosis, she seems to think she understands aspergers, to the point that all my thinking 'must' be black and white, that I 'can't' understand any emotions or be sympathetic at all, and worse, every problem we've had is 100% me, directly because of my aspergers. She fails to see her role in anything and expresses very little of the facts when she talks to others, to make it sound like I'm completely nuts.

Has anyone else been in this type of situation? How have you dealt with it?

traven
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 7:10 am

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 7:05 am

^^

Spartan Life Coach is great, HPLFan. I have been in relationships with people who couldn't make decisions and blamed me for everything. I ended them. Your situation is a bit more complicated, so I don't know if that will work for you. She needs to want to be honest with herself and seriously look at her past. I hope it works out well for you.

HPLFan
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Sep 2018, 12:08 am

That idea would have never occurred to me, I'll have to look into it. I know she thinks I'm narcissistic at times. I think she interprets my need for structure that way.

Conner42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Sep 2018, 12:25 am

It blows my mind that the counselor would say that your wife is "the stable one" and that her remaining that way should mean your son won't have any problems. I mean...wow! Maybe he said this to her when you weren't in the session with her, but I can really only imagine that being weaponized, especially in your arguments. Imagine her saying "I'm the stable one, so I know better than you" which kind of looks like it's already happened.

To be honest, if you guys see things so differently to the point that you can't get along...I don't think it's good that you stay together. I had a relationship where it seemed like we could hardly agree on anything and she would get on to me for "thinking too much" or not having a moral compass because my sense of right and wrong were completely different from hers.

I remember before the relationship I was so sad because I felt lonely all the time...now I really just prefer to be alone. Though, I am seeing someone new who I've been getting along with better.

I know it might be harsh for me to take one look at this and immediately think of separation, but it kind of seems like you're constantly being belittled. It was hard for me when I was going through that and I hate to see someone else going through that :(

Nis47
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Sep 2018, 5:41 pm

My husband and I are going through the similar problems you mentioned.
It is so hard to even talk to my husband now since the Doctor even mentioned Aspergers. He " believes he knows everything there is to know on Aspergers. He has his own "issues he is working on" however he implies that all of our problems are because of me and he takes no accountability. I don't communicate well anyway. I never have.
But how are you supposed to be able to talk to someone that " already knows it all" ??? its so frustrating .....

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 8:15 pm

HPLFan wrote:
That idea would have never occurred to me, I'll have to look into it. I know she thinks I'm narcissistic at times. I think she interprets my need for structure that way.

I think the video was linked to say your wife might be narcissistic. There's nothing wrong with liking structure.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 6:24 am

HPLFan wrote:
My wife and I have always struggled because we see things so differently. She comes from a childhood with abuse mental, physical and sexual. She's got severe commitment issues (we dated exclusively for 4 years, were engaged 3 times, before she finally went through with marriage). She never seems to take any responsibility for any difficulties she causes, instead blaming it all on me. When it comes to making decisions, she won't, but then blames me if there's a bad outcome and claims I'm too controlling.

It's only been a year and a half, maybe, since I was diagnosed. We're both in our 40s, been married 6 years. Once I got the diagnosis, she was thrilled. In her eyes, she finally had a reason for all the problems we've had. She's been seeing a counselor lately, I went with her the first few times, but I stopped because it was clear he didn't understand aspergers. The counselor is trying to convince her that I'm dealing with some sort of PTSD and that as long as she stays the stable one in the family, our son will turn out okay.

Here's the thing, since the diagnosis, she seems to think she understands aspergers, to the point that all my thinking 'must' be black and white, that I 'can't' understand any emotions or be sympathetic at all, and worse, every problem we've had is 100% me, directly because of my aspergers. She fails to see her role in anything and expresses very little of the facts when she talks to others, to make it sound like I'm completely nuts.

Has anyone else been in this type of situation? How have you dealt with it?

It sounds like your wife is frustrated with her life in general. Neither of you are perfect people and you will likely both always have problems in the eyes of the other but that is normal in most relationships. I believe what might be needed her are clear roles, responsibilities and boundaries. What does she expect of you as a husband? What do you expect of her as a wife? If she wants you to make all of the decisions, fine but it must be under the condition that she is not to complain about the outcomes.

My great grandparents were together for 50 years. They had a strong marriage but not a perfect one. They made it lasr 50 years by having clear "job descriptions", respecting each other and ignoring that which they didn't like about each other.

My roommate tolerated each other in a similar manner. Like your wife, he would often leave decisions up to me and blame me if he didn't like the outcome. This was projection. He had a severe phobia of being held responsible for bad outcomes, such that he avoided being promoted into leadership positions. I didn't actually take many measures to solve this problem. I merely declined to make decisions on occasions, and didn't complain when decisions he made turned out bad and I think he eventually realized that bad outcomes don't always need to be blamed on someone.