Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you have problems with taking a shower?
Definitely yes (it is a challenge for me) 26%  26%  [ 23 ]
Rather yes 16%  16%  [ 14 ]
Rather no 25%  25%  [ 22 ]
Definitely no 33%  33%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 88

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 2:00 pm

I have serious problems with taking a shower. Contact with too hot or too cold water during it is like torture for me! Now I spend at least 27 days without taking a shower or bathing (and I did not wash my head (hair) since a few days longer). It should not be so, but it happened.

I have not spouse, offspring or even sympathy and had not them in my entire life. Shower can be even pleasant, if the water has adequate temperature (but it may look that the range of water temperature which is well tolerated by me is relatively narrow).

During my studies in autumn 2014 I did not bathe for about five weeks (but rather nobody complained about me being unwashed).

I admit that I do not smell fresh at the moment, but it may be mostly due to some clothes, not the body.

I have contamination obsessions, which paradoxically may be additional problem in washing, bathing and having a shower. I would not like to bathe in the bathtub due to the contact between the water in which entire body is immensed and the most unclean and dirty parts of the body, such as feet. I prefer shower due to lack of that contact.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 2:03 pm

I'm saying definitely no.

If anything, I may have the opposite problem, that I like it too much. People have been known to tell me I take too long of showers.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 2:10 pm

I have an aversion to showers, so I "wash" myself with a damp flannel.
I wash my hair by leaning forward under a tap.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2018, 2:22 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
I'm saying definitely no.

If anything, I may have the opposite problem, that I like it too much. People have been known to tell me I take too long of showers.
I do that sometimes too. Not extraordinarily long, mind, just about 20 - 30 minutes, sometimes longer. It's calming, it also helps raise my mood at times.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 2:55 pm

The poll says that there are more people for whom the shower is a challenge...
3 votes for definitely yes, 2 for definietly no so far.

I have not so much sensory issues - for example tags on clothes do not bother me, I do not experience sensory overloads, I rather like the smell of perfumes, but having a shower is a problem and it is an activity which I may tend to avoid.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 3:24 pm

I hate the feeling of the water pounding on me, the transition from dry to wet, if I don't get the temperature just right before I step in, being cold when I step out, and being naked (partially a sensory thing, partially because I'm extremely self-conscious and the door to the bathroom where the shower is doesn't latch properly, so I'm afraid someone might walk in on me). But then I also have the same feeling of not being truly clean if I have a bath, plus the tub is hard and cold. Since I don't sweat a lot or anything, I can easily get by with only showering every 2-3 days. After that, my hair starts looking like it needs a wash. Sometimes I'll just wash my hair under the faucet in the tub to go longer between showers. My parents wouldn't hesitate to tell me if I smelled, and they haven't, so it seems I'm correct in thinking I don't have to shower more frequently.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2018, 3:25 pm

I have problems with executive dysfunction in general--I often won't even bother to eat for a few days left to my own devices--so showering falls into that category. I also have psoriasis and very frequent showers make it worse.

I love to be clean and fresh but just have trouble making myself do it. However if I am going out in public I feel compelled to shower. When I was working that was every day. Also when my husband is around I try to shower every other day even if not going out just so that I don't smell offensive out of consideration for him.

When he's out on a service trip and I'm not leaving the house... forget it. At least until I start to feel really scuzzy.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 3:26 pm

I have sensory issues with not showering. Feeling my unpleasant body odor and my skin all sticky with a prodigious coating of greasy filth is ... unpleasant. Unfortunately, I've grown used to putting up with it when I spend a few days alone. Back at my parents' home, I spent whole months without showering, because I could never be sure it wouldn't anger them for spending too much water. I tended to wash a fraction of my body at a time when they weren't around. With only cold water, of course.

Now that I think of it, the place where I'm living now does have a working boiler, but the little flame that lets the gas burn on demand is exposed to the wind, so it gets blown out all the time, and I can't seem to light it again, even though the landlady taught me once. Besides, she often showers in cold water, and the other tenant always does, so I feel morally compelled to be strong and tough it out like I used to do as a teenager. This probably helps me shower a little less than I'd like to.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 5:08 pm

I have mixed feelings. I can't stand being dirty but I don't like undressing and getting all wet. I do make sure I shower every day, regardless of how much I may not want to.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 5:43 pm

I'm known as a soap dodger in my family

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 1:56 pm

I hate showers.
I hate the feeling of the shower water on my skin.
I hate the sound that the water makes.
I hate taking off my clothes and getting wet.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 4:27 am

I hate getting into the shower almost as much as I hate getting out it.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 7:22 am

I take a shower, but not every single day, rather every other day;therefore, I'm not completely unsanitized nor unclean if this makes sense, kinda like you should not shave every single day..

crazychick10793
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Sep 2018, 9:58 am

I don’t like the way the water feels on my face, that is the biggest challenge. I also could do without shaving most of the time, but my mom gets on me telling me my underarms “look like a gorilla” and it isn’t ladylike so I must shave or else. I don’t think anyone at my university really cares or pays attention to the state of my underarms. I’ve seen plenty of people with unshaven underarms. I think it’s just my mom who cares :roll:

I also don’t really like to brush my hair and style it, which is why I keep it in a short bob cut, so it’s pretty much wash and wear, maybe I have to run a brush through it quickly

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 11:31 am

Sometimes I really don't feel like taking a shower because I can't drag myself away from a computer game or a craft I'm working on, but I really don't want to go without showering. Having stringy, oily hair and sticky, dirty skin feels really disgusting. :eew:

I find the warm water feels really good and is something of a gentle massage.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2018, 8:19 pm

I shower most every day because I like to go to bed clean but that doesn't mean its that easy for me. I most dislike the transition from dry to wet but I have found a way to make it less traumatic. I am fortunate to have a hand held shower so I aim it at the drain to turn it on and then when the water is warm I start at my feet and work up. That gets my face wet last and by then its not such a deal. Hand held shower heads are not that expensive or very hard to install....

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.