What NT accepted behaviour flumoxes you the most?

Page 9 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Oct 2018, 10:35 pm

Dear_one wrote:
fifasy wrote:
I dislike it when people exhibit rude and jerky, very sudden, mannerisms. With the exception of people with Tourette's or a similar medical condition that can justify it, it's crass and poor form.

For example, I sometimes get on a train carriage and while I'm looking around for a seat, some people will make abrupt bodily movements as my eyes cross their path, as though they are trying to threaten me with an emission of motion.

I have never seen people do that. Are you sure they are reacting to you? Do they behave differently if you watch a video of a train without being present?

I rode a commuter train for ten years. Keeping a double seat to oneself is an art. I was penalized because I was skinny, so I developed ways of sitting and moving that made me seem wider.

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

17 Oct 2018, 11:37 pm

I ALWAYS try to get a double seat on the bus. Sitting next to a stranger on the bus means I feel them, and smell them, which I really don't like. In fact, I'd rather stand because at least then it doesn't mess with my senses.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 9:35 pm

How they act like when they do you the slightest favor, you have a moral duty to act like they dragged you out of a burning building

:D

How they find it necessary to say "young man" and "young lady". Gender this and gender that

How they act like it's man/lady. It's man/woman, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls

Not guy and girl

:mrgreen:

"Are you ok?", And you have to say "thank you"

They can't and won't "help"

If they don't want to do something, they say they "can't"

They say "sorry" for things that are not their fault, but when they do something wrong, they dismiss it

When you do something wrong, they exaggerate

Like they have never done anything wrong before

And "the meaning of life is :roll: helping people :roll: "

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Oct 2018, 11:17 pm

As a greeting:
"Lookin' good! Lookin' good!"
no matter what I look like.

My brother used to say, "You'd look so good if you'd only lose some weight" *every* time we met, that's me, Mom, and Sis. So we told him to cut it out. Ever since, he greets us with "Lookin' good!" It's the same us.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 3:47 am

How they act like everything is or has to be hilarious

Off leash dogs

Dogs with clothes

How they act so morally innocent

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 9:37 pm

How NTs think tiny, inbred dogs with bug-eyes and breathy problems are cute. There's nothing cute about inbreeding an animal that can hardly breath!

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 10:11 pm

How they are so simple-minded and dramatic

"Helping" versus "hurting"

How they act like they have a moral right to get whatever they want at all times

How they confuse their opinion with fact

How they refuse to admit that they did something wrong

And even when they do, it's just "sorry"

No reparations

How they act like "wat?" Is really the etiquette equivalent of "excuse me"

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2018, 11:23 am

I don't think I have just one.
Buying an expensive wedding dress to wear only once.
The need to be talking on their phones all the time- even when they are minutes away from meeting the person they are talking to.
Giving you their life story when you didn't ask
Makeup
The need to talk to you in an elevator, while waiting for something, on line, etc or in any circumstance where god forbid there might be silence. Silence petrifies them.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 12:39 pm

“Multi-tasking” :?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 12:53 pm

The kind of behavior where, in an empty theater, for example, people come and sit close to you rather than picking some other equally good spot with a greater separation of distance.

In a restauarant, when a person exchanges a pleasantry with a stranger a number of tables or booths away and they start to carry on a fairly loud conversation when others are in the restaurant trying to eat in peace or have their own conversations.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 6:40 pm

How they insist on using as much technology as possible, to accomplish the slightest thing

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 8:31 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
It's funny how those who condemn the suit and tie as an anachronism refuse to do the same for the traditional dress of non-western cultures.

Why is that funny? It is simply minding our own business, as participants in Western culture. It is up to people of other cultures to decide whether and how to change their own traditions. No need for outsiders to interfere (except perhaps in some extreme/unusual cases).

Prometheus18 wrote:
The suit and tie, along with any other sartorial tradition is of value because it marks oneself out as part of a broader social and cultural milieu, as a serious, professional adult, rather than a child who insists on avoiding anything difficult or uncomfortable.

Or an autistic person with sensory issues that make it not just uncomfortable but EXTREMELY uncomfortable? Or for whom the discomfort would be a significant distraction from productivity?

Prometheus18 wrote:
Or at least it did until the 1960s, when the tedious counter cultural movement consignned the suit to the history books as an anachronism.

I certainly do not consider the 1960's counterculture to have been "tedious." I am grateful for many (not all) aspects of it.

Prometheus18 wrote:
Yes, a tie serves no concrete utilitarian purpose - nor do computer games, music, junk food, ironing, shaving, washing - or most other things one might like to think of.

Washing does serve various utilitarian purposes, e.g. to eliminate or at least reduce bad odors and to reduce the spread of contagious diseases.

Music also can serve various utilitarian purposes, e.g. the right kinds of music can make it easier for a person to concentrate on one's work. (Unfortunately this varies from one person to another, so the use of music in workplaces can make some people LESS productive while making most people more productive.)

Prometheus18 wrote:
One cannot establish the rectitude of a cultural value in terms of first principles.

One can, however, establish the rectitude of cultural reforms in terms of first principles. This has been done many times in the past, throughout the centuries. It didn't start in the 1960's.

Prometheus18 wrote:
The suit and tie are a value because they place one's existential position in a historical context - they form a connection with a line of ancestors practising a tradition which does back centuries.

Actually the suit and tie, in anything even remotely resembling its current form, dates back only to sometime in the 1800's. It was a radical break from the kinds of fancy clothes worn previously by men of the upper classes.

Prometheus18 wrote:
It is the lack of this sense of temporal continuity which is disastrous for contemporary man, and robs him of his birthright. It is actually difficult for most people - even the older ones - currently alive to realise that until a few generations ago, people acted in conscious awareness of the vast stretches of history that had passed before them and the vast stretches of history that would follow after their death. It wasn't like the current generation where all the earth's resources were considered fair game for everybody currently living - and nobody else. You see the consequences of this all around you.

In today's world, the idea that the Earth's resources are "fair game for everybody currently living" is OPPOSED primarily by the environmentalist/ecology movement, which received a major boost in the late 1960's and whose adherents are if anything LESS likely, not more likely, than the average person to be fond of suits and ties. In any case, wearing a suit and tie certainly does not make someone an environmentalist.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 9:29 am

To answer the original question, I have some major beefs with contemporary women's fashion.

Specifically, the inter-related trends of (1) ultra-tight pants, as if the sole purpose of pants were to show off one's ass, and (2) the absence any pants, other than jeans, that have both pockets and belt loops.

Also, the absence of flair skirts with both pockets and belt loops.

Also, the absence of loose-fitting cotton (or other breatheable natural fiber) short-sleeved or sleeveless shirts/blouses for women.

I really wish someone in a position of influence would revive 1990's fashion. Back then, women could wear loose-fitting pants or flair skirts that were suitable for the office and had both belt-loops and functional, DEEP side pockets. Loose-fitting cotton blouses existed also.

AltoClarinet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Oct 2018, 10:41 am

red_doghubb wrote:
The need to be talking on their phones all the time- even when they are minutes away from meeting the person they are talking to.

I don't understand this either. Especially when I'm on a long bus ride and someone talks on the phone for the whole trip, or the fact that my roommate talks on the phone for several hours a day, including late at night when I want to sleep.

I keep my phone off most of the time.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 4:12 pm

How they are so enthusiastic. They act like every thought and emotion that goes through their precious lil heads is the latest greatest scientific invention.

It's their attitude

They laugh at things that are not funny

"I'm getting lunch", someone said. Then he laughed

:ninja:

Some ghetto lil riffraff, with nothing better to do all day long, besides bother strangers :roll: , had the nerve to tell me "just don't kill anyone". (He was referring to my facial expressions).

Wtf :?: :jester:

Not everything has to be funny or "interesting" or exciting.

How they try to claim a disproportionate amount of credit, for the "help" they provided

Sometimes the word "help" is too strong of a word. They acted like they dragged my worthless corpse out of a burning building. All the counselor did was flap her trap at me. And the insurance paid her 75 an hour. Wtf? Her "help" is worth 20 at most. The insurance helped her 55 bucks

Reminds me when someone paid me 5 bucks for pushing his car. But it was just 3 cents of work. He helped me 4.97. it is correct to say I helped him. But misleading, vague, incomplete

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 4:58 pm

People telling me to "cheer up".

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame