What NT accepted behaviour flumoxes you the most?

Page 1 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

MatchooW
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Sep 2018, 6:23 pm

Just for a bit of fun, what behaviour that is acceptable to NTs comfuses you the most. Not big things like money over happiness or political correctness gone mad. The little things, just for fun and maybe for a little validation.

For me it's neck ties. I don't get how a floppy noose makes you look 'smart'. If anything, it makes a person look less tidy in my eyes, since there's this loose bit of fabric flopping around. Are they smart because they cover the shirt buttons and buttons are offensive somehow?

Employers like it when a job applicant wears one to an interview, since it makes them appear 'professional', but everyone knows that, and wearing one is a given, so doesn't that make the practice void?

A criminal can go to court in a tie and suddenly they're more respectable, despite having just robbed a bank or murdered someone.

I just can't get my head around it.

There are way more things than ties that confuse me when it comes to what's accepted as 'normal', but that's the one that always jumps to mind.

What's yours?

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 6:52 pm

The whole point of formal attire is to be a pain in the ass, if not expensive, to filter out those without the time to keep it clean and in good shape or the money to pay others to do it for them.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 6:56 pm

Hugging. I can't stand it.

MatchooW
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Sep 2018, 7:21 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Hugging. I can't stand it.

Me either, unless it's someone extra special.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 7:36 pm

Handshakes. I hate the texture of other people’s hands, and there’s a certain firmness you have to maintain, and I just despise them.

MatchooW
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Sep 2018, 7:42 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:
Handshakes. I hate the texture of other people’s hands, and there’s a certain firmness you have to maintain, and I just despise them.

I hate them because my hands are always clammy and it's awkward having to pretend I didn't see them wiping their hands on their leg after. :roll:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 8:07 pm

Talking on and on about nothing

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 8:21 pm

Small talk, especially when it's done to strangers.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 9:18 pm

The emphasis NTs place on eye contact and the offense they can often take from the lack of it

Also the multi-faceted validation NTs crave from pretty much everyone they meet bothers me.

I also agree handshakes as a greeting don't make sense to me. I'm a bit of a germophobe, so anytime I shake hands I'm uncomfortable until I can wash my hands. Shaking on an important agreement makes a bit more sense because it's like a modern day and less invasive substitute for a blood pact. If anything, I think handshakes should be reserved for such times.

Last edited by Magna on 08 Sep 2018, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 10:09 pm

MatchooW wrote:
I hate them because my hands are always clammy and it's awkward having to pretend I didn't see them wiping their hands on their leg after. :roll:

It’s more awkward having to pretend you don’t want to wipe, or preferably wash, your hand immediately.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 8:44 am

Most people don't know the right degree of firmness for a handshake. They have either a fishy, weak one or one so firm you feel like your knees will buckle and your eyes will pop out.

RandomFact
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Sep 2018, 9:28 am

The modern-day obsession with taking selfies, no matter how mundane the situation or location. I don’t get why this has become a thing. Why would I want to commemorate—and presumably post to a social media platform—a visit to Aisle 3 of the supermarket or my commute home on the average Wednesday?

MatchooW
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Sep 2018, 9:33 am

RandomFact wrote:
The modern-day obsession with taking selfies, no matter how mundane the situation or location. I don’t get why this has become a thing. Why would I want to commemorate—and presumably post to a social media platform—a visit to Aisle 3 of the supermarket or my commute home on the average Wednesday?

And we know what their face looks like, it doesn't change minute by minute. I'm glad that duck face is no longer as popular.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2018, 10:12 am

Spiderpig wrote:
The whole point of formal attire is to be a pain in the ass, if not expensive, to filter out those without the time to keep it clean and in good shape or the money to pay others to do it for them.
They're ultimately symbols of status, as you said. Sure, you can go to court with a suit and tie that maybe cost less than £50 or a hand-me-down from your parents, but secretly that's just a way of undermining you further. You're pretending to be like the rich people. It's a very sad culture.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 11:15 am

You are wrong about not liking handshakes just because you never got the meaning of it. Base rule: Your handshake should always be firm, but not as firm that it hurts the other! Best is just as firm that it gives the other a little bit hold while you are doing it. This way a handshake expressed that you are self-confident but accept the other and that you expect of beeing accepted by him as well. It's quite a contract: You give him hold and he gives you hold and you want to stand together! Doing it not if another wants to do it expresses that you don't like the other at all and that you don't want to get along with him at all. Doing it weak expresses that you don't really care about the other. For this always try to do it in the right way!

Last edited by quite an extreme on 09 Sep 2018, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2018, 11:34 am

He said; She said conversations. Repeating same to all and sundry.

Holes in clothes (though this may not be just NTs).