Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 7:40 pm

‘The Predator’ Review: Threat-Free, Offensive, Overcomplicated and Tonally Off

Quote:
Another major blunder is in the portrayal of Aspergers. Jacob Tremblay’s young character does little to dispel commonly held beliefs around the condition – and you’ll come away feeling weird about the way the film deals with it. The plot winds up revolving around the fact that he has the condition, playing on the real-life theory that Aspergers is the next stage in human evolution. This could be interesting to explore in another film but here it feels insensitively crowbarred in.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2018, 7:02 pm

I personally dug it. It showed how the kid never let anything get to him. As a kid, if I saw this I would have been inspired. It was a strong portrayal in a blockbuster film by a talented actor. No complaints here, rather the opposite.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 11:13 am

Putting an Aspie supremacism theme in a film is overcompensation for all the Autistic as "ret*d" themes of the past.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 2:49 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Putting an Aspie supremacism theme in a film is overcompensation for all the Autistic as "ret*d" themes of the past.

I like the theory that we’re the next stage in evolution. Albiet there’s some noticeable drawbacks.

However, enhanced focus, sight, hearing, and touch would be infinitely more beneficial to a hunter - such as the Predator - because it doesn’t show itself as a being that relies on communicative need to get ahead. So, it makes sense that they would be more drawn to ATs than NTs - enhanced perception over communicative skills.

Communication deficits may actually be what’s triggering enhanced perceptual skills for survival, similarly to how blind people can develop a stronger sense of sound.

Those enhancements can be too much at times, but in terms of hunting I can see how they would come in handy.

I also liked how they showed the kid as being self reliant and being able to function on his own.

In terms of supremacy, I honestly don’t see any difference between this and how most superheroes are NTs with a lack of ATs or how the Percy Jackson series handles other “disabilities” by depicting them as potential superpowers instead. It didn’t say that being on the spectrum automatically makes one better since it does show the drawbacks (the kid having to cover his ears and lacking communication skills (being unable to converse with his peers)), it just shows that there are unique benefits to it as well (especially to a hunter) rather than just weaknesses.

Personally I view things through the Percy Jackson lens - I’m not disabled, I’m just different and those differences can be unique strengths - ATs have strengths that NTs don’t (and NTs have strengths that ATs don’t). Not every aspect is only “different” or negative, I personally see the unique benefits. But, that’s just how I experience it though.

I relate more to this article:

Quote:
I feel like there are certain movies that bring an awareness about an issue, and then there are other movies that change your perceptions about things. “Rain Man” (1988) with Dustin Hoffman brought an awareness of autism. But at the time, I think for most people, not knowing what autism was, it seemed like a disability that came with parlor tricks. Having watched “The Predator,” which has autism as a focal point, if not the major focal point of this movie, it was meant to change our perception of autism. I'm sure that parents with children or people who are living on the spectrum will have a better sense than I do of whether or not they correctly depicted someone who is non-neurotypical, but I think the whole point of the movie was to make us see autism as not a disability but that people living with autism are actually the best of us.

Yeah definitely. But for everyone I just think this was an amazing movie. I could feel my mind changing about something that I feel like I haven't educated myself enough about. I definitely think I see people living with autism differently after having watched that movie. So, bravo to them.

Mark says

This is also the entire spirit in which Cheek to Geek was created—highlighting geeky things that represent people who don't get represented. And this is a case of somebody who's never represented as a hero or an important part of society in film before now being shown that way in the middle of a sci-fi that's part of a big franchise that hopefully will become a part of our cultural conversation.

Candice says

And I should mention that Jacob Tremblay did a fantastic job. Awesome. That kid is always solid in every movie I've seen him in.

Mark says

At times Dustin Hoffman's character in “Rain Man,” to use a reference you had earlier, was annoying, because it felt like he was counteracting Tom Cruise and what needed to happen to move the story forward, and this kid wasn't. You could see yourself in his shoes, even if you're not him or don't deal with some of the same things he deals with. And that's exactly what you need to see. You need to see someone that you can identify with even though they're different from you. That's what changes minds.

http://cheektogeek.com/people-autism-sp ... tor-review

I found this article from a fellow aspie on Twitter. As said, personally, I dug it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 7:02 pm

The Aspie or Autism next stage in evolution theory is by its very definition supremacist. When we think of supremacists we think of Nazis, KKK etc but supremacism is the belief a certain group is superior to another. If you believe we are the next stage in an evolution what you believe is that we are more advanced ie. superior.

A superhero is by definition more advanced. The X-Men mutants have certain similarties to the stereotyped Aspie. Superheroes are fictional characters. The Predator is labeling their fictional character as a member of a nonfictional group and labeling them more advanced.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 7:23 pm

Next stage in evolution without all of the kinks worked out. Basically like a prototype. The prototype is always going to have bugs that places it on the same level as what came before. As evolution continues and when those bugs get worked out (capable of advanced hearing, but not getting hurt by it) then that will be the higher level of evolution - enhanced focus and perception, both of which make for a stronger hunter. Currently I can’t think of a reason why a Predator would want an NT - communication skills wouldn’t come in handy, enhanced perception would further its evolution. However it’ll be several human generations until it gets that far.

Call that supremacism or whatever you will. But I do see enhanced focus, sight, hearing, and touch as what the next stage in evolution will be (is).

You mentioned X-Men. Apt example in how evolution would work. Their powers are strengths while on the same hand their powers are also their weaknesses. For example Rogue can kill people with a single touch, but evolution isn’t far enough to let her touch anyone including her boyfriend. Similarly many of us can hear better than NTs, but we hear too well which causes the noises to be painful to our ears. But progress to a point where there’s enhanced hearing without being hurt by it and that’s evolution - I don’t know what else to call it.

I do think the next step is enhanced perception and I do think that autism (as well as others whose “disabilities” give them enhanced perception - as stated with the blind example) is going to play a central role in that. Humans are capable of enhanced perception and people, as ATs and others have shown, are already capable of tapping into that.

If enhanced perception and focus isn’t the next stage of evolution, I don’t know what form that would take.

That said, we’re the prototypes or trial subjects - which means that there are still many bugs to work out. But in the future when those bugs are fixed? Imo that is how evolution will present itself. Intimidating concept, but that’s how I see things.

I believe that those with enhanced perception already hold the key, but we can’t tap into it yet. However, in the future - we will be.

The kid in question in Predator has enhanced hearing AND he’s a child prodigy. To me, both of those traits show signs of evolution and it is common sense that he has more to offer than the other characters aspergers or not. Sure his father is a decorated war hero, but Predators are already strong so they already have his traits. The kid’s abilities, however, presents them with something new - he can already hack into Predator technology. So he is the best of us as well. The evolution theory isn’t presented by the Predators, so it’s only a theory that some people (like me) believe. The Predators didn’t want him for being any other aspie, they wanted him for his enhanced perception & superior intellect (he’s a child prodigy) - that makes sense.

matrixmike
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Sep 2018, 10:28 am

Well I picked up on the noise sensitivity and the slower than normal communication with people -but he was quick with the geeky things...

Cwf97
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Sep 2018, 9:56 pm

I feel remorseful with the boy in the film after I saw it in theaters. As a 21-year old with autism, I found it relatable.

Endling
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2018, 3:23 am

I have not seen the movie, so I can't comment on any specifics, but I do want to respond to the "next stage in evolution" idea. It is complete nonsense. Evolution does not work in stages and there is no goal or endpoint; evolution does not strive to make organisms more advanced. And as far as autism/aspergers being the next stage for human evolution, that does not quite make sense either. Evolution works responsively: organisms are in a certain environment and in a certain niche, and in response to being in that environment we adapt to it over the course of thousands of years. Humans are social species and we rely on group strength and inter-individual bonding to be successful as a species. So when some individuals develop traits that make them overall less effective at being social, it is not necessarily an evolutionary advantage, even if it does come with more acute senses and/or enhanced focus.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 4:02 am

Just saw the movie, it is out on demand, some minor spoilers to follow.

The autism is the next stage of evolution theory is an important plot point in the film. The theory is not advocated by the aspie charactor who is a middle school student but by a scientist charactor. I have not changed my negative opinion of Autism being the next step in human evolution theory and putting said theory in a film. As noted above the portayal is basically positive. While he is another advanced “Rain Man” (white male, super smart) character he expresses emotions and feelings. It does show sensory overload and others use the insult “ASS burgers” to bully him. These and the evolution plot is suggestive that an autistic person was central to creating and writing the character.

There is another character with Tourett’s.

Off Topic: Shane Black cast an actor a friend of his who is a registered sex offender. Olivia Munn found out about it, told the other cast members about it and successfully lobbied the studio to delete his scenes.

qwerwe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2018, 6:33 am

In the world where communication and social skills are probably most important abilities, I think their loss will not be next step in evolution. Sensitivity of the senses was more important for survival in the past when people lived in caves and communication probably was easier.

That the boy learned to control the predator technology, why not. He has been playing with it for some time. But why in the movies are autistic often with some special abilities? (The boy returned the figures on the three chessboards to the original state.) It will then hardly explain to someone that I don't have any special abilities like photographic memory or the ability to count something complicated without a calculator...

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2018, 6:01 pm

Poorly placed, poorly supported theory in an action movie ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If Aspergers/Autism was the next step in human evolution, how to proponents of this theory defend it against all low functioning people who struggle day to day with life? Just browse these forums and you'll read stories about people losing jobs, now knowing how to operate technology, being a religious/leftwing/rightwing nutcase. That is not evolution, it's the opposite if we hold these traits up to what is normal.

I am lucky enough to be skilled enough and high functioning enough to have a job, but i am not representative of the autism/asperger community.

But sure - an action movie - why not? Lets throw in some alien car chases as well...