Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 9:34 pm

I'm on the last year of architecture school and I'm starting working on my final project... I have two ideas but I'm insecure about both of them, I don't feel I'm ready but I can't postpone it right now. The idea I'm more inclined on working on is the one I have the less clear idea on what my final product will be, I'm very afraid I won't be able to reach anywhere.

I wish I had more friends at the university where I could discuss it, but the ones I have doesn't seem very helpful with it right now.

stevens2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2018, 10:44 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
I'm on the last year of architecture school and I'm starting working on my final project... I have two ideas but I'm insecure about both of them, I don't feel I'm ready but I can't postpone it right now. The idea I'm more inclined on working on is the one I have the less clear idea on what my final product will be, I'm very afraid I won't be able to reach anywhere.

I wish I had more friends at the university where I could discuss it, but the ones I have doesn't seem very helpful with it right now.

Do you have to work with a faculty adviser? If so, which of the projects would promote a better academic experience? Is there a way to determine the viability of your preferred project in more detail, before the deadline? I guess I'm suggesting that you evaluate the academic circumstances that would likely result from the choice, on a social and intellectual basis.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 5:46 am

If you can’t make up your mind in a reasonable time frame, flip a coin. As brainless as this method is, it beats continuing to dawdle and taking neither option :nerdy:

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 12:09 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
If you can’t make up your mind in a reasonable time frame, flip a coin. As brainless as this method is, it beats continuing to dawdle and taking neither option :nerdy:

my ex-boyfriend used to advocate for this method. i don't know if it works for me.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 12:15 pm

stevens2010 wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

Do you have to work with a faculty adviser? If so, which of the projects would promote a better academic experience? Is there a way to determine the viability of your preferred project in more detail, before the deadline? I guess I'm suggesting that you evaluate the academic circumstances that would likely result from the choice, on a social and intellectual basis.

I'm unsure if I understood what you said. The faculty adviser would be a professor tutoring me? I need to choose 3 names and submit my project and they will choose. Accordingly to the project I choose, I would like to change the professors. But I would like to talk with them BEFORE deciding it, I think they would help me to evaluate what I can really achieve and how to define my final product... but the professor who coordinates the final project said we shouldn't do it. I know some people already did it, but I don't like to do something that is against the rules.

stevens2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Sep 2018, 10:17 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
stevens2010 wrote:

I'm unsure if I understood what you said. The faculty adviser would be a professor tutoring me? I need to choose 3 names and submit my project and they will choose. Accordingly to the project I choose, I would like to change the professors. But I would like to talk with them BEFORE deciding it, I think they would help me to evaluate what I can really achieve and how to define my final product... but the professor who coordinates the final project said we shouldn't do it. I know some people already did it, but I don't like to do something that is against the rules.

It's interesting that it sounds like a lottery, with students proposing ideas that faculty select. Of course, if your project is aligned with the specialty of one of the three people you choose, then it's quite likely the professor who will participate is rather predictable.

In working for many years, what I've learned is that "the system" often makes things that are done all the time "against the rules." I think this is to trick people like us. If it's really customary to consult with professors about the feasibility and suitability of a project design, then I think you should do it, just like most other people. I know how we Aspies feel about rules, and it's hard to go against them. Academically, however, I think it's obviously a good thing for a student to discuss these matters with a faculty member. If it makes you feel better, pick a faculty member to discuss the potential projects with, who will not be participating as one of the three (I actually think you'd do best to speak with the professor(s) you have in mind, to get some feedback). After all, you're a student and asking for advice is a good move. Also, I spent several years as a teaching assistant in graduate school and I can assure you that students who ask for advice are usually quite welcome, because professors many times wish the students would engage more. Anyway, it doesn't sound like you're trying to rig anything, but rather trying to get some real advice. And there is a quite ethical way to approach this. You wouldn't be asking for any commitment from anyone about supporting a project, but rather trying to get an idea what the potential pitfalls and challenges might be to producing a meaningful result. Or, maybe, just to get some clarity about what project would fit your personal goals and objectives best. And that is simply basic "academic advising."