its sad to see how most people would abort an autistic child

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Seba7290
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2018, 10:11 am

And that isn't even the worst part, it's the reasons they cite. Like how autistic people are useless soul-draining burdens that will ruin the life of the parents.

As a former autistic child, I sincerely hope I didn't cause my parents too much trouble and that they don't regret me.

This is a pretty good example of what I'm talking about. It's technically about MR, but a lot of people mention autistic people in there as well(as NT's have a bad habit of using the terms interchangeably :hmph: ) . It honestly makes me feel bad for simply being born disabled.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 2:33 pm

If I knew my kid is going to have a severe disability and or that they won't live long, I would abort too. I don't want to be a caregiver for the rest of my life and then having to deal with the system failing me and risking the kid being a Chuckie and then deal with group homes and how they will be cared for or not being able to find a place for them to live because their disability is too severe. I guess lot of people don't want to gamble.

I think there is a difference between working with these kids and having to take care of one 24/7. Just as long as you don't have to take care of them all the time, it won't bother you if they have a disability or not and even if you enjoy working with them and they make you smile and laugh, you still get to have a day off and still get to go home and not take care of them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Sep 2018, 2:57 pm

I would abort a severely autistic child, though not for my own sake but for theirs. Severely autistic people suffer a lot, as do most severely disabled or handicapped individuals. To me, it feels cruel to continue gestating a child who will only suffer and die early, or suffer until old age.

I'm not SEVERELY severely autistic, though it does limit my life a lot and I know that I am a burden to my parents and both regret having me.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 3:06 pm

I agree with you, and find the other responses sad.
It is worth mentioning that depression rates are higher for higher functioning autistic people than lower.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2018, 3:08 pm

Abortion is one of the only things I am not liberal on. I think no child, autistic or not, should be aborted unless the woman’s life is threatened somehow. Just because someone is disabled doesn’t mean they don’t deserve a chance at life.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 3:16 pm

And we are supposedly the ones that lack empathy. :roll:

The people that say that don't know what autism actually is.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 4:57 pm

Child of the Universe wrote:
Abortion is one of the only things I am not liberal on. I think no child, autistic or not, should be aborted unless the woman’s life is threatened somehow. Just because someone is disabled doesn’t mean they don’t deserve a chance at life.

I feel the same way. I feel that every human life is worth living no matter how severe their disability. I'm against the idea of aborting autistic babies and other special needs babies. I'm autistic and I'm happy to be alive. A lot of people with severe disabilities are happy to be alive. I live my life to the fullest each day because life is the greatest gift of all for everybody. The only person who should be playing God is God himself.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 5:30 pm

It's hard to think about. I believe any abortion is very awful and somewhat "reluctantly", I am anti-abortion. But I also understand that raising a child who has a severe disability (autism or another severe-level special need or condition) is very difficult and is just not for some people. I know we also argue that everyone is unique in a good way no matter how severe or weakening a disability is to a person's living, but it's hard to be able to see how such an affected person can reasonably function without serious and financially hard assistance.

I feel very bad and sorry for these kinds of children and those still living as adults. I guess people think that's a little mean or cruel, but that's just what I feel about it.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 7:11 pm

if i knew i was going to father a severely impaired child, i would decide to abort too, because of:

League_Girl wrote:
If I knew my kid is going to have a severe disability and or that they won't live long, I would abort too. I don't want to be a caregiver for the rest of my life and then having to deal with the system failing me and risking the kid being a Chuckie and then deal with group homes and how they will be cared for or not being able to find a place for them to live because their disability is too severe. I guess lot of people don't want to gamble.

I think there is a difference between working with these kids and having to take care of one 24/7. Just as long as you don't have to take care of them all the time, it won't bother you if they have a disability or not and even if you enjoy working with them and they make you smile and laugh, you still get to have a day off and still get to go home and not take care of them.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Sep 2018, 7:44 pm

"Everyone should have a chance at life" only stands as long as the potential child is CAPABLE of life. Life is not vegetating in a wheelchair with zero cognitive abilities.

I believe we have a great deal of responsibility as humans to prevent unnecessary suffering. I personally believe aborting a child that is confirmed to have some kind of illness that will result in suffering is the decent thing to do before they're capable of suffering.

For example, some severely autistic people cant do anything apart from meltdown constantly and bite themselves with no way of communicating. If I found out that this would be the life of the child I was carrying, I'd make the decision to prevent his or hers future suffering and pain. Being trapped in your body is hell on earth, I refuse to subject my child to that based on my own selfish needs or "everyone deserves a chance".

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 9:14 pm

many autistics, including myself, did not get diagnosed until after age 18.

autistic children (all things equal) require a lot more time, money, and energy than neurotypical children.

all things are not equal.

autism services: speech therapy, occupational therapy, applied behavioral analysis, take a lot of time, money, and energy.

autistic children sometimes require more supervision than neurotypical children.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 10:30 pm

I am thoroughly against ANY type of abortion, even if it costs the mother, as well as the Foetus, their life.

Having said that, I wished Mom and Dad would have just let me die when I contracted pneumonia at 6 months of age. It would have been better for them, as well as me, that I would have nothing more than a dim memory.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 1:12 am

We do not know how miserable the severely autistic are or if they are miserable at all because we can not communicate with them and they can't communicate with us. We make the assumption their life a is never ending horror show based on our assumptions and experiences.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 3:19 am

League_Girl wrote:

That's how I view it too.

For the latter part, I would also add that merely working with them is a whole other thing not only because you get to go home, but also because you don't have the emotional stake. It's a job, and you're not alone about it, vs it's your family member and your personal responsibility.

But regardless of what I would do, it's my conviction that every single woman must choose for herself and do what is right for her and her family. I am completely pro-choice.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 7:19 am

This is difficult question to answer, as when I used to work at a group home for persons with moderate to profound difficulties, I felt that not everyone there was without potential within their own lives, yes some difficulties tend to be more profound and limiting in a literal sense, but that does not mean that person should simply be discarded.I think it comes down to the individual scenario as no one person can absolutely say what is the right or wrong decision..

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 8:36 am

Seba7290 wrote:
its sad to see how most people would abort an autistic child.
"Most People" would not. Assuming that there is an equal 50/50 split between men and women, that roughly 50% of women are of child-bearing age, and that less than 15% of those women may be pregnant at any given time, it is safe to assume that less than 4% of all women (less than 2% of all people) would feel a need for an immediate abortion, regardless of whether or not the child was either defective or autistic.

Your thesis fails at first premise.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.