Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2018, 5:31 pm

Tomorrow, I have an informal interview of sorts with a Lutheran early childhood center looking for substitute teachers and part-time afternoon staff. It sounds like they really need help, so I'd be happy to help in whatever ways I can. I've subbed before in early childhood, and it's usually gone well, so long as I've been in a support position under someone else with good social skills, rather than a leadership one (social cues and all!).

I also finally heard back from a nearby school district regarding my status as a substitute paraprofessional (another job where I can work under people with better social skills). I should finally start getting some calls and jobs as a sub now.

I've done substitute teaching in the past. It's been hit or miss, but I've managed to do it on and off since 2012 in various districts, with most success in paraprofessional positions. I've done best in assignments as a para in good schools where I help students one-on-one under supervision of another teacher. I wasn't able to sub much last school year because of controversy over my autism, but I did have a successful gig tutoring a child one-on-one who needed help in reading and writing. He improved so much last school year that he doesn't need help anymore this year, hence my need to find some other jobs now. His parents gladly provided themselves as a reference for me, saying I was a life-saver for their boy last school year.

Subbing will help keep me occupied productively. Husband isn't ready to have a child just yet, and I need more funds for my medical needs and such, so this will help us out a lot for awhile if it goes well. My house-cleaning side jobs weren't really providing enough income, so I'm looking forward to this.

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2018, 8:04 pm

Good luck! I hope it works out for you :)

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 8:06 pm

My grandmother still teaches Kindergarten at 86! I think it's among the coolest jobs there are & my job is pretty spiffy.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 8:08 pm

Good luck on your job interview. I will pray for you.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2018, 8:22 pm

Thanks, folks!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 8:46 pm

Best of luck. :)

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2018, 5:58 pm

Turns out the Lutheran early childhood center didn't have any support positions open at this time. The lady interviewer was really nice and tried to set up a win-win situation for the school and me, but there isn't much of an opportunity at present. I thanked her for her time.

However, I've already had several jobs now as a substitute para at a nearby school district. They've all seemed to go pretty well -- that is, until an assignment today. I worked under a lead special education teacher who was shockingly rude to me, as well as one of her students, and the para I was subbing for before she left. She berated me for being too shy and doubted that I actually had years of experience as a sub because of my shyness, outright yelled at one of her students, and embarrassed the para I was subbing for by criticizing her for several minutes because she didn't have sub notes ready for me (that para was still in the classroom when I arrived; I understand she should have had notes for me, but the lead teacher's criticism of her for not having those was rather lengthy and seemingly excessive, so I felt bad for her). I don't plan on returning to that particular school. I should still get enough jobs from all the others in the district, so I can afford to ignore that one, I think. I did stand my ground against that teacher when I perceived her criticism and shouting was over-the-top, and I defended my record when she doubted my history of experience, though. I don't know if she will whine about me to the office or district; if she does, I will calmly state my case. But I'm hoping it was just an isolated experience, and I can continue being a sub para at all the other nicer schools and classrooms in the area.

In better news, I think I've picked up a new social cue that has evaded me for over thirty years: you're supposed to sit down whenever you enter a room. I've always stood until I'm told to sit. People keep telling me to sit, so this must be one of those social rules most NTs learn by osmosis. :)

I have not disclosed my autism. Hopefully it will not become an issue.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 6:53 pm

In an interview if you're shown to a room before the interviewer arrives typically you sit (who knows how long you'll need to wait after all) to make yourself comfortable. Then, when the interviewer comes in, you stand to greet her extending your hand for a handshake in the process while smiling and making eye contact.

Is that what you meant?

There are of course variations. If the room has extensive artwork, etc on the walls it would be natural to stand and admire the artwork.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2018, 7:08 pm

I meant in any public context, including entering a classroom. Usually I stand until I'm told to sit somewhere.

I wonder if this same cue is cause for the complaint about 'shyness.' I usually wait for verbal cues before I jump in to do things, whether interacting with someone else directly, or just sitting down somewhere. I don't like to make assumptions and dive in and do something without being told explicitly that's what I need to do, so I wait for other's cues before I take any physical or social action.

NTs always seem to know intuitively what to do and what to say, by contrast.

Ohnos
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2018, 4:01 pm

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: