Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

LadyLucifer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Sep 2018, 5:48 pm

I'm a college student. The only jobs I worked was measly freelance jobs (I did commissioned art on deviantart at one point and I was also an operator on a phone sex line) but I want to work a more "in person" job. I've started meeting with my school's career councilor who has been very helpful. Late last semester she helped me create a resume, now we are working on my cover letter. But I have a few anxieties that are mostly spectrum related.

1) Interviews both in person and on the phone. (honestly over the phone is worse because I can't see the person) I don't stim, so I'm not worried about that. I'm just painfully shy. My career coach says for the cover letter, it would be best if I contact the places I'd apply for to get the name of the person reading my application. Professional me is like, "okay fine." ASD me is like "Nope. Please god help me."

2) When to disclose my disabilities?

3) Sensory overload when I do get the job. Mostly with noise. I have a hard enough time hearing someone in a car with music playing and the window open that I feel like someone's grandma who forgot to plug in her hearing aid. How to deal with that?

Any tips?

Special Interest: Abnormal/Sexual/Developmental Psychology, Metal Music, Depressing Documentaries, the Occult, True Crime, Cults/Conspiracy Theories, Naruto, House MD, Fetishes, Hannibal Lector Quartet and Disney Princesses and Villains
Totems: Cacti, snails, tarot, rubber ducks, overstuffed/fat animals, devils, fairies, leather and Baphomet.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 5:54 pm

Don't disclose your disabilities on the interview. That's pretty much a total no-no.

I would probably not disclose them even after you're hired----unless you know that the boss has sympathetic feelings for and knowledge of autism or other disabilities.