Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2018, 10:16 am

Disclosure: I know nothing about music software and little about computers in general.

I like the first 6 seconds of Wouldn't It Be Nice by the Beach Boys (before the singing and drumming starts) but the rest of the song is an anti-climax.

Could I sample that first 6 seconds and just repeat it? I think that would sound wonderful.

How do I do that? What do I need to use?

stevens2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2018, 10:19 pm

fifasy wrote:
Disclosure: I know nothing about music software and little about computers in general.

I like the first 6 seconds of Wouldn't It Be Nice by the Beach Boys (before the singing and drumming starts) but the rest of the song is an anti-climax.

Could I sample that first 6 seconds and just repeat it? I think that would sound wonderful.

How do I do that? What do I need to use?

There are many high- and low-end audio editing software products that allow uncompressed sound files such as wav files to be edited. You can use copy and paste functions on portions of the graphically (waveform) represented in a similar way that text files are edited. High end programs include costly packages such as Protools or free ones (linux) such as Ardour. Some of the mundane sound recorder programs also offer this editing feature.

To do this you could first rip the track from your CD or other record into a separate wave file. Then, using the editor, you'd delete the remainder of the record after the point you want to start the repeat at, and repeatedly paste the first part of the record at the end. You would have to make sure that a proper transition occurred at each splice point, but with practice this is fairly easy.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 2:29 am

Thanks for the explanation, I'll look up audio editing software. :)

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 4:57 pm

You don't even have to get a DAW. Audacity is free although very limited, but can get you what you want.

I use Cubase 9, which has many advanced functions for editing, modifying and applying effects to audio segments.

What you do is easy:

1) Download the Wav/MP3 song file, Drag it from your folder to Audacity.

2) Just crop the audio track in Audacity so only the first 6 seconds remain

3) Press play, rinse and repeat.