Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2018, 2:44 pm

I like Fawlty Towers.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2018, 9:50 pm

Don't get me started. John Cleese is amazing in basically any role, be it Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, Rat Race or even him lending his voice to games like Fable. He really holds the whole show together.

The rest of the cast is just as great, though. However, if we were going purely for a Monty Python / Fawlty Towers comparison, it's the former pretty much every time in my opinion.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 4:52 am

Mythos wrote:
Don't get me started. John Cleese is amazing in basically any role, be it Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, Rat Race or even him lending his voice to games like Fable. He really holds the whole show together.

The rest of the cast is just as great, though. However, if we were going purely for a Monty Python / Fawlty Towers comparison, it's the former pretty much every time in my opinion.

This. I love Fawlty Towers, but as my wife says, The Flying Circus is the best available therapy in existence :D

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 3:38 am

Con man lord Melbury was also in Village of damned and Scars of Dracula

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 3:39 pm

Newhart is basically an American version of Fawlty Towers.

I used to watch FT on a fuzzy black and white TV pre-cable. PBS used to be amazing.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 11:40 am

Fawlty Towers was an alright series in its time. I enjoyed it in the 1980's, but don't think it's equally great now.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 10:28 pm

Other than Monty Python, John Cleese’s best work was as Nigel Fawlty. He later work wasn’t as impressive, IMNSHO.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2018, 5:09 pm

A good show, but only twelve episodes were ever made. Personally, I prefer Dad's Army.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 8:52 am

I use to watched Fawlty Towers back in the '70s and '80s and totally enjoyed it. I bought the DVD collection several years ago. The last time I watched it I did not find it as funny. I think that is because I was 35+ years older, and I'd seen it before. It was not as new. That is more "me" then it is the show. The show is still just as awesome. I should watch it again. My sense of humor has a tendency to drift around over time.

There were only 12 episodes. It seems there should be more, but there aren't.

I don't think Newhart was anything like Fawty Towers. I remember the show Payne with John Larroquette was more like Fawty Towers. I watched one or two of Payne. I don't remember much else.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 1:50 pm

The opening shorts were hilarious! Someone would vandalize the road sign to read "Farty Towels", "Watery Fowls", "Fatty Owls", "Warty Towels", "Flay Otters" and one or two others that I shouldn't post.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 5:39 am

Fnord wrote:
The opening shorts were hilarious! Someone would vandalize the road sign to read "Farty Towels", "Watery Fowls", "Fatty Owls", "Warty Towels", "Flay Otters" and one or two others that I shouldn't post.

Cleese said this was done by the paper boy, in the opening shot of one of the episodes you see him rearranging the letters and moving out of frame.

I loved Fawlty Towers, the ingenious plays on words was so amusing. In the same way I admire The Two Ronnies who were also fantastic at word acrobatics. Unfortunately they only make the twelve episodes across two seasons. Polly/Connie was Cleese's wife at the time and co-wrote them with him. They were actually divorced when the second series was filmed.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 4:08 am

It didnt overstay its welcome like many other shows that dragged on , so what if its 70s , its still worth seeing even though its old