Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Burgatron81
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Sep 2018, 1:36 am

I’m damned if I can stop myself. It gets me in a whole heap of trouble. Usually it’s people using the wrong word. I try to ignore it, but then I doubt my comprehension because the wrong word throws the context way out, and I’m sat with a perplexed look on my face. I’m told I’m pedantic for wanting to understand what was actually meant and offering up the correct word. Then I’m told: “Nobody even talks like that...”

I can’t even put into words the active discomfort I experience as a result of an inaccuracy. I know it’s irrational, but I can’t help it.

I think that largely for me, it stems from the fact that I exist in a state of immense discomfort on a daily basis from constantly trying to keep the burgs in check. I do this for the comfort of everybody around me.
Don’t do anything burgy, don’t say anything burgy, don’t dont don’t don’t. My checklist for the day is DON’T. Whereas the normaloids don’t actively have to moderate anything they do or say...

Oh, does anybody else have an issue with people who insist on saying “end” at the end of every sentence? It positively brings me the rage. I can see no earthly reason for it.

NickRelson
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2018, 4:44 am

...Everything is connected :D ! Man.

NickRelson
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2018, 4:45 am

Dig? :|

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2018, 6:31 am

A scientist trying to puzzle out a problem is usually grateful if you point out where he is going wrong. Once he has made up his mind, he is more interested in confirmation than correction. A mother trying to deal with three children has no room in her head for self-doubt. According to how similar someone's situation is to these poles, you can often predict their receptivity. "Authority" exists because in some positions, 99% of the appeals for change are purely self-serving and not worthy of consideration.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2018, 6:43 am

MrMacPhisto wrote:
Something I have always done. If people are explaining a situation that happened and the details they give are wrong I end up interrupting and correcting there mistakes, again if someone is singing and they get the line wrong if I know the song I will stop and quote the correct line. I get aggravated with wrong information and I know it drives people mad but I can’t help it.

I think it's important to take a pragmatic approach to these things. Is it pertinent that they be corrected or is the incorrect statement otherwise benign and irrelevant and does correcting them overlook the greater purpose of the communication where it ultimately only serves to distract from the issue at hand or destroy diplomacy?

When one disregards the greater communication in favor of pointing out technicalities, when one very well knows what the other person means in spite of technical errors, it is often perceived as hostile.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 4:55 pm

Life aint easy for the compulsively correcting aspie.

Examples of both things, correcting, and abstaining from correcting from way back in school still stick in my memory.

Sometimes you feel like checking into "Correctaholics Anonymous".

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2018, 9:53 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Life aint easy for the compulsively correcting aspie.

Examples of both things, correcting, and abstaining from correcting from way back in school still stick in my memory.

Sometimes you feel like checking into "Correctaholics Anonymous".

No kidding.

Even though I have learned to temper the impulse in the interest of courtesy, it is still there. Always there.

I let it out sometimes while watching TV. Example: If a news anchor or high-ranking official (President #43 was notorious for this) says "nukulur" instead of "nuclear" I lose my mind. I will snap at the screen, "Get it right! You're a public figure! That is an important word. In fact it might kill us all one day. It's not hard. Say it 'noo-clee-ur!'"

I don't correct the average Joe for it, but when your job is public speaking or you actually control nuclear energy or weapons, you had better be able to pronounce the word.

Sorry, pet peeve. :oops:

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 8:51 am

So, how do you pluralize Octopus? Octipides is most correct, but least used.

Perhaps it would help to just cultivate an identity that assumes there will always be a gap between yourself and others. The London Times used to frequently run a little notice in the header for their front page - "Fog in Channel - Continent Isolated"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 9:17 am

Dear_one wrote:
So, how do you pluralize Octopus? Octipides is most correct, but least used...
"Octopi", although "Octopuses" is (regrettably) becoming more acceptable.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 9:30 am

Fnord wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

So, a Greek root with a Latin ending is correct? Who decides?

People sometimes ask what is the best material for building your own airplane. They are commonly built four different ways, using aluminum, wood, composites, or frame and fabric. The "best" material turns out to be the one you most enjoy working with, from the usual selection. That, in turn, depends heavily upon the chance encounters of youth.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 10:15 am

Dear_one wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
So, a Greek root with a Latin ending is correct? Who decides? ...
The teacher grading the paper.

(BTW: I also found that "Octopodes" is the most correct plural form for "Octopus".)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 9:36 am

And just yesterday on NPR, there was a program about how Ecstasy works on "octopuses" to increase their affection for each other. Drives me crazy when even NPR can't get it correct. :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 9:48 am

Language is a funny thing.

Usage, to me, depends on a sort of "natural selection."

I'm wondering if "octopuses" as plural for "octopus" has become acceptable in the language because of this "natural selection"?

The overall phraseology/syntax of English has truncated itself since the "heyday" of English in the 18th century. This is because people of all stripes believe that the "truncated" version is the one they want to use.

The same thing happened with words like "knife." Originally, the "k" was not silent." Through "natural selection," though, the pronunciation gradually changed to its present form.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 12:19 pm

My favorite correction backfire.........

There are definitely times when I can correct people on something. For me it depends on the topic and how relevant or necessary a correction is to the conversation.

Although it's hard for me when, on occasion I've had to fight strong urges to correct someone, to keep mum and just "let it go", I've learned, being nearly 50, that people generally don't appreciate being corrected and generally regard those that correct them as being d*cks. That's been my experience anyway.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 12:40 pm

OMG! 8O

If a lady who looks and dresses like that tells me that "snuck is not a real word" then... its not a real word!! !!

I would ….just go along with it. :lol:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 12:44 pm

Wherever possible, I try to correct people in private, but even that can backfire. A friend was painting his workshop, and planned on installing glossy black panels to help reflect the light. I offered mirrors, or white paint, with a brief explanation. This may have caused him to check his plans with his wife, the librarian. He hasn't spoken a dozen words to me since.