Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Galeheart
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Sep 2018, 3:24 pm

The doctor that recently diagnosed me with ASD-1 mentioned this place, so I thought I'd pop in and check it out, meet some cool people, talk, get some insight on navigating the world. I sought testing after watching a video on adult ASD that ended up in my youtube suggestions, after I took the ASQ that the video linked to, after looking back on years of bad ROIs from therapy and self-help, and after learning that my mother had reason to suspect autism when I was younger. Mostly I'm relieved that I'm no longer fighting invisible demons with my best guesses at drugs and treatment.

A bit about myself since it seems courteous: I'm an amateur sculptor, I have a BA in Psychology (philosophy minor), and heavy metal is my lifeblood. I use to write fiction, but I have a real hard time designing plots that make sense and are interesting, so I haven't written in a while. Rather, I'm trying to develop my speaking voice into something I can be proud of considering how much more powerful a spoken word is than a written one.

Anyway, that's it. I'll get on with mingling and whatnot.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 5:50 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Galeheart
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Sep 2018, 9:47 pm

Thank you :D

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 1:32 pm

Welcome Galeheart!

Enjoy the forum! :)

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 5:57 pm

Welcome to the forum, Galeheart.

Galeheart wrote:
Mostly I'm relieved that I'm no longer fighting invisible demons with my best guesses at drugs and treatment.

Oh yes; that's why I've always used the quote below for my signature. By talking with other people here, I've had a whole lot more things come into focus since my diagnosis, too. I hope you find the same! :D

Galeheart
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Sep 2018, 12:09 am

LoneLoyalWolf wrote:
Welcome Galeheart!

Enjoy the forum! :)

Thank you :)

Trogluddite wrote:
Welcome to the forum, Galeheart.
Galeheart wrote:
Mostly I'm relieved that I'm no longer fighting invisible demons with my best guesses at drugs and treatment.

Oh yes; that's why I've always used the quote below for my signature. By talking with other people here, I've had a whole lot more things come into focus since my diagnosis, too. I hope you find the same! :D

Nice, I'm glad to hear you've gotten insight here. Where's that quote from? I like it.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 12:30 am

Trogluddite wrote:
Where's that quote from?

I wish I could remember! :oops: I'd gladly credit it to them in my signature; I'm not even sure I remember the original wording exactly. I'm pretty sure I saw it on one of the earliest blogs that I read about autism, when it had been suggested that I might be autistic, but hadn't been formally diagnosed yet. It wasn't until I'd worked up the courage to join the forums after lurking for a while that I remembered it. I've tried to locate an original source a couple of times, but never really got anywhere; it might have helped if I'd done it before polluting the search results with a zillion hits for my signed posts on multiple forums (or if I ever remembered that bookmarks and favourites exist!) :roll:

Galeheart
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Sep 2018, 1:42 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
Trogluddite wrote:
Where's that quote from?

I wish I could remember! :oops: I'd gladly credit it to them in my signature; I'm not even sure I remember the original wording exactly. I'm pretty sure I saw it on one of the earliest blogs that I read about autism, when it had been suggested that I might be autistic, but hadn't been formally diagnosed yet. It wasn't until I'd worked up the courage to join the forums after lurking for a while that I remembered it. I've tried to locate an original source a couple of times, but never really got anywhere; it might have helped if I'd done it before polluting the search results with a zillion hits for my signed posts on multiple forums (or if I ever remembered that bookmarks and favourites exist!) :roll:

Fair enough! I thought maybe it was a song or movie quote, but it's cool having mysterious origins too.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2018, 1:01 am

Welcome to the forum!

I like metal music as well, I'm interested in psychology (well, all things, really), as for your fiction try writing horror or sci fi. Nothing really needs to make sense in those realms. :lol:

mohammedwasapedo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Sep 2018, 6:31 am

sup man welcome f@#k all haters in your life

Galeheart
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Sep 2018, 2:30 pm

Mythos wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

I like metal music as well, I'm interested in psychology (well, all things, really), as for your fiction try writing horror or sci fi. Nothing really needs to make sense in those realms. :lol:

Thanks! Have any favorite bands or a favorite area of psych? And I did once try very briefly to write sci-fi, but I ran into the same problem I always do, which is that I just don't know how to get a story to move from event to event in a compelling and sensible way.

Galeheart
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Sep 2018, 2:33 pm

mohammedwasapedo wrote:
sup man welcome f@#k all haters in your life

YUP. They can kick rocks.