Puerto Rico: Trump Lied, Thousands Died - GOP & Dems

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 11:29 pm

Trump falsely claims nearly 3,000 Americans in Puerto Rico 'did not die'

Quote:
Nearly 3,000 people died in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico. President Donald Trump denied this reality as a hurricane barrels toward the Carolinas.

"3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico. When I left the Island, AFTER the storm had hit, they had anywhere from 6 to 18 deaths. As time went by it did not go up by much. Then, a long time later, they started to report really large numbers, like 3000," he said in a tweet Thursday morning as Carolinians prepared to be pummeled by Hurricane Florence...

Earlier this month, the island's governor formally raised the death toll from Hurricane Maria to an estimated 2,975 from 64 following a study conducted by researchers at The George Washington University. CNN's own reporting reflects similar numbers. The university study accounted for Puerto Ricans who succumbed to the stifling heat and other aftereffects of the storm and had not been previously counted in official figures. Much of the US territory was without power for weeks.

Top Republicans broke from Trump's assessment.

House Speaker Paul Ryan told reporters he has "no reason to dispute those numbers."...

Florida Gov. Rick Scott, who is locked in a tight Senate race, also split from Trump...

In a second tweet Thursday, Trump cast blame on Democrats, who he said are trying to make him look bad.
"This was done by the Democrats in order to make me look as bad as possible when I was successfully raising Billions of Dollars to help rebuild Puerto Rico. If a person died for any reason, like old age, just add them onto the list. Bad politics. I love Puerto Rico!" he wrote.

The death toll study was commissioned by Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló, a member of Puerto Rico's "New Progressive Party." It was conducted by the nonpartisan George Washington University's Milken Institute School of Public Health.

There has been no evidence to indicate that partisan politics has played a role in the calculation of the death tally, and George Washington University released a statement Thursday that said it stands by its work.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 11:35 pm

62 million amuuuricans care not one whit.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 11:41 pm

auntblabby wrote:
62 million amuuuricans care not one whit.

It might be a bit fewer, now that 22 months have passed and everyone has seen the consequences of their votes.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 6:35 am

Trump Honors Only One Victim in Puerto Rico: Himself - The president sees the accepted death toll of nearly 3,000 as evidence of a political conspiracy against him.

Quote:
If you’ve stopped being surprised by the flagrancy of President Trump’s deceptions, you’re not alone. Yet the president’s effort on Thursday to deny the nearly 3,000 American lives lost in Puerto Rico in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria last year — and to accuse Democrats of inflating the death toll for political gain — should amaze even the most jaundiced Trump-watcher.

Mr. Trump delivered his latest bit of mendacity with a one-two presidential Twitter punch:

“3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico. When I left the island AFTER the storm had hit, they had anywhere from 6 to 18 deaths. As time went by it did not go up by much. Then, a long time later, they started to report really large numbers, like 3000 …”

“ … This was done by the Democrats in order to make me look as bad as possible when I was successfully raising Billions of Dollars to help rebuild Puerto Rico. If a person died for any reason, like old age, just add them onto the list. Bad politics. I love Puerto Rico!”

For most presidents, thousands of dead Americans would be a cause for grief. For Mr. Trump, they are evidence only of his own victimhood...

Mr. Trump seems incapable of processing new information or learning from mistakes. Instead, he did what he always does: reject inconvenient data in favor of a story in which he is the hero. In the president’s view, increases in the official death toll cannot possibly stem from a more comprehensive analysis. They must stem from yet another conspiracy by his political enemies. The 3,000 lives lost, in other words, are all about him.

Democrats don’t need to lift a finger to make him look bad. He is managing that all on his own.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 9:08 am

Maybe we should start a GoFundMe for Trump's hurt feelings.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 1:34 pm

Most of his supporters are demanding to see the bodies and coroner's reports. Others are only counting those that died during the hurricane and not the aftermath.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 1:51 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
Most of his supporters are demanding to see the bodies and coroner's reports. Others are only counting those that died during the hurricane and not the aftermath.

Considering that Trump could have prevented most of the deaths in the aftermath by sending help...

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 3:27 pm

One video shows President Pumpkinhead handing out single rolls of toilet paper to citizens of Puerto Rico during hurricane relief. Although Trump does look like he's being sympathetic when he's doing this, IMO however, he just looks bored.

This video is about one minute long.

Also IMO, Trump just by tweeting about those who were killed last year in Puerto Rico is even more evidence that he still loves playing "the victim card."

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 6:17 pm

^ looks like rolls of paper towels to me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 7:22 pm

I never believed those earlier low figures. It was a direct hit of a Catagory 4 on an island with poorly constructed buildings and bad infrastructure overall.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman