Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 2:10 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I don't see how you have been bullied off the forum.
One person has sent you a critical PM, which is being dealt with by mods.
That doesn't equal being bullied, unless others have done the same, or that person has PMed you repeatedly.
I understand it's upsetting, but try not to let one person's snarky opinion ruin your experience.

In hindsight "harassment" would have been a more suitable word. However I did not copy paste the entire message that I received, as well as comments on my threads/replies to my comments.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 2:11 pm

I'm sorry that that person was so rude. It seems like they were trying to make assumptions about you without really knowing you. I'm glad the mods are taking care of it.

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 2:15 pm

Great news :wtg:

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 2:16 pm

When these things happen to me I also like to analyse if maybe the people who critisize may have a point.
Like, if there is something I can learn from the comments to modify how I come across so what I say is more acceptable to others.
Everything is a learning experience.
Being on WP has certainly taught me a lot.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 2:26 pm

Raleigh wrote:
When these things happen to me I also like to analyse if maybe the people who critisize may have a point.
Like, if there is something I can learn from the comments to modify how I come across so what I say is more acceptable to others.
Everything is a learning experience.
Being on WP has certainly taught me a lot.

Yes, I try to look at it that way, too.

However, because of the context of her criticism regards our argument/discoussion about Finnish law regarding import/export of CITES annex A species, it isn't exactly an opinion-based question. It does not have different alternative answers, you are either right or wrong, there is no in-between.

Another instance that I think she is referring to (I cannot know as she didnt cite her criticism to actual posts of mine) is in regards to buying parrots that are recently weaned and fledged vs. those about 1 year old. I stated that I bought my parrot when he was four months old, and that he didnt have any of the problems mentioned in the source material for the discussion. Although this question is opinion-based, she cannot possibly know my parrot, and what problem he may or may not have, so I am correct when talking about him.

If I were to make unfounded blanket statements about all parrots that would obviously be incorrect, but I didnt do that, so I struggle to see how I could improve my communication in this instance.

I appreciate you trying to help - and you are right, everything is a learning experience.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 2:28 pm

I think you being autistic is irrelevant to the dust-up on the parrot forum, in fact it's irrelevant to the parrot forum altogether. Don't bring in what is a private, personal detail and then be upset when it is used against you. Granted, the sender of that PM was a bit of a jerk, but please learn from the situation and handle things differently in the future.

All that aside, I found the discussion of parrots very interesting. I love birds, can't have any right now because my husband is allergic, but I did enjoy the conversation.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Sep 2018, 2:40 pm

That's really sad, but I hope you don't let it put you off the forum. You'll experience these people all the time and it would be a massive shame if you let them get to you.

I understand with autism it's easy to be hurt (I think most of us are very sensitive) so I wouldn't blame you for wanting to leave it, but if it's something you're passionate about then I really wish you manage to return.

:D

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 3:02 pm

teksla wrote:
Arganger wrote:
Sounds annoying.
But, if you don't mind, what was the context?

We were arguing about CITES permits for CITES annex A listed parrots. According to her the purchaser of the parrot needs to apply for their own permit (special yellow paper from the government) whereas I argued that the paper is given with the parrot during the purchase.

I called my local office that handles CITES matters and they said that I was correct (that the purchaser does not need to apply for their own set).

I had in the same thread mentioned that I was autistic as a response to some else's comment (it was relevant in that situation, dont remember why, though). The user who sent me the message said that autism shouldnt be used as an excuse to be ignorant.

I sent her a PM saying "I understand that you probably mean that in an offensive way, but it implies that I am ignorant (by disagreeing with you) and also using my disability as an excuse (which I am not" to which she replied with the message that I copy-pasted in my original post.

Sounds like someone that posted like several replies in a spam like manner to a simple petition against trumps supreme court nominee (That has basally ruled before that disabled people have no protection under the constitution), who accused me of insulting her several times, (I only responded asking what on earth she was talking about) and accused me of being a Colorado liberal.

Hope those mods do something, I've always wanted a scarlet macaw and to name it Clifford. I am very jealous of birds, and because of that like them a lot.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2018, 3:46 pm

Teksla, given your explanations I think your critic is just being a troll. I take back the benefit of a doubt I gave them. That person is a jerk.

I hope you continue to enjoy that forum. Your troll can just sit and spin.

I'm glad you are able to give your parrots a great home. Good for you and good for them! I wish my parents had never done it though... they had no idea what they were getting into.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 3:58 pm

teksla wrote:
I recently joined a parrot forum to discuss my love of parrots with other like minded people. Some users thought i was not welcome....

Whenever I receive ridicule from others, I usually respond with a terse "Thank you!" When they follow up by emphasizing their opinion, I respond with another terse "Thanks, again!"

They either learn that they will not get a rise out of me, or miss the point of my statements and move along.

This kind of response if easy to remember, gets the point across and leaves me seeming happier than they are.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 5:36 pm

I stopped listening to that person the moment they started to insult you. Yeah I tone police, if you are going to be a jerk, I stop listening. Nothing wrong with that. Call me an idiot or whatever, bye bye, I go deaf or illiterate lol. Tone policing is awesome and I am not going to try to learn to listen to people through their insults.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Sep 2018, 9:29 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I stopped listening to that person the moment they started to insult you. Yeah I tone police, if you are going to be a jerk, I stop listening. Nothing wrong with that. Call me an idiot or whatever, bye bye, I go deaf or illiterate lol. Tone policing is awesome and I am not going to try to learn to listen to people through their insults.
Insults are often the sign of being in the wrong, from my own experiences.

Indominus
Raven
Raven

14 Sep 2018, 9:55 pm

I once left a discord server after some users took into consideration of genocide of the French after France won the world cup and how i was half-french.

Still, though, even if it was a joke, I feel like I can't go back.

NickRelson
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2018, 4:39 am

It sucks when people get-whatever sense- :( bullied off of a forum.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2018, 5:11 am

BeaArthur wrote:
I think you being autistic is irrelevant to the dust-up on the parrot forum, in fact it's irrelevant to the parrot forum altogether. Don't bring in what is a private, personal detail and then be upset when it is used against you. Granted, the sender of that PM was a bit of a jerk, but please learn from the situation and handle things differently in the future.

All that aside, I found the discussion of parrots very interesting. I love birds, can't have any right now because my husband is allergic, but I did enjoy the conversation.

I don't think it was. She said that autism shouldnt be used as an excuse.

I brought it up twice on the forum (once in this thread and once in one about parrots and autism) because it was relevant to the discussion - I said that Im autistic and parrots are my special interest.

But I do get your point - in real life I usually avoid bringing up that im autistic unless it is relevant.

Oh, and there are some parrot species that hare hypoallergenic! The most prominent ones that are considered hypoallergenic are: Parakeets (due to small size), Pionus Parrots and Toucans. Eclectus parrots are also hypoallergenic but they are NOT for a beginner due to their personality and diet needs.

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2018, 5:43 am

A lot of forums have a very harsh tone. In the past I was once bullied on a forum as well by people much older than me when I was underage so some people are quite awful but I try to remind myself that they can't be very happy if they go after other people with the sole purpose to make them feel bad. Just try your best to ignore them or make a new account on the forum and start over if they keep bothering you.