What age you considered young, middle age and old ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2018, 3:27 am

I seem to think when you are in your 30s you can't enjoy life as much as you did in your 20s and that you have to start taking life more seriously. I seem to think when you're 30 and over 30 you are not young anymore. I seem to think I have no time left to enjoy life and that I must find someone and start a family and leave the house. Even though I still live with parents, still single, and don't feel any interest to leave because I don't want to live in a flat or somewhere on your own. I feel there is pressure on me to do these things even though my parents have said its fine and they are happy in living with them.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2018, 4:44 am

This is one of those topics that has had a different answer for me as I've aged. Maybe you're not looking for the long perspective but more a judgement from your peers. If that is the case, feel free to ignore my reply.
When I was a child or even a teen of 17, the age of 30 seemed ancient. I remember older men would express an interest and I found it disgusting. Not all teens feel the same but I think they all think 30 is pretty old.
I got married at 22 after dating the same person for 4 and 1/2 years. I had my third child at 30. I thought I was an adult at 18 but realized at 30 that I finally felt like an adult. This really wasn't about having three children as you can still be a child and have one too. I just had more of a sense of identity I guess.
This was about the time most of my peers just started to have children. I think they were feeling a bit like you do now.
By the time I was 35 I felt oldish. No longer wanting to party but also viewing myself as not at all young. I pretty much spent the next 20 years in that mind set. Then I kind of woke up and thought, where did the the last 20 years go? I realized how young I had been at 35. And now I know that I am still not all that old but am viewed as that old by most younger people. Its all about perspective. I am physically and mentally capble
of most things but I know I'm not 20! The difference is recovery from whatever you do to yourself and the inability to achieve what you could have at a young age.
The only issue I see for you is the longer you stay with your parents the more they will rely on your help as they age. That's probably not an issue right now but may suddenly become one. If you have your own place you have more privacy and independence. But that may not be a problem for you.
It really shouldn't matter what you "should" be doing at any given age but to be living the best life you can.

NickRelson
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2018, 5:16 am

Don't Trust Anybody over 30, man :( .Dig It :lol: 8) :P .

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Sep 2018, 2:59 pm

Early 30's (31, 32, 33) is still fairly young. People are still fertile (if that's a point of consideration), energetic, often haven't yet faced any age-reliant disabilities (arthritis, dementia, etc., although in rare cases these can be early onset), still have youthful looks and such.

It's around the age of 50 that the big changes start to take place, though some see these earlier on (around the 40's). This is around what I'd call middle age. Not young, but there is absolutely potential to still feel young and do those things you enjoyed in your youth.

Old I would say starts around the later half of 50's, or at about 60. Anybody above 60 I feel is unarguably old physically and possibly mentally, but not necessarily emotionally (see below).

Largely, age is a pretty social-reliant construct. You don't really have to be old at 60 if that's not how you feel. As the eras burn away and paradigms change, people in their 60's seem to be looking increasingly younger. I once mistook a 40 year old for about late 20's when I was 15. Even if that just means I'm terrible at guessing ages (I am, really), I still think aging is improving as time wears away.

On to the emotional part; some people (especially with autism, as I've seen on this forum) don't feel emotionally they represent their physical age. You can be 60 but still feel 16, become overly sensitive and upset at difficult events. Some of us mature but others do not.

So I suppose the question is maturity versus physical age. It depends on how you feel.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2018, 7:07 pm

NickRelson wrote:

I remember that saying well.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2018, 7:27 pm

I consider
>2 baby
>6 toddler
>14 child
>19 teenager
>30 young adult
>45 Adult
> 65 Middle aged
> 90 older adult
90< old

> younger than
<older than

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 10:45 am

Age is a state of mind. You're as young or as old as you think you are. I see myself as a 21 year old in the body of a 43 year old. I'm glad I'm unable to grow up the way my mum wants me to. Because I won't grow up, I come up with lots of ideas for my art. I should post some more samples.

pete413
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2018, 10:54 am

NickRelson wrote:

Now, Don't trust anyone UNDER 30.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 1:50 pm

pete413 wrote:
NickRelson wrote:

Don't trust anyone.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 4:12 pm

Arganger wrote:
pete413 wrote:
NickRelson wrote:

Don't trust anyone.

Unless they show that they can be trusted.