Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 12:39 am

Review: ‘Agnes’ Brings Dramatic and Meteorological Tensions to 59E59 Theater

Quote:
Agnes is a compelling play about family, friendship, and connections. Set in a three-bedroom New York City apartment, Agnes presents five millennials sheltering themselves from a major storm.

The talented playwright, Catya McMullen, adeptly sets up the backstory for her characters, foreshadowing upcoming conflicts. The play focuses largely on June and her older brother, Charlie. Charlie’s one-word explanation for how he was able to get away with a less-than-a-minute phone call with his mother (while June’s call lasted 45 minutes) is: “Aspergers.” 

The unusual drama of Agnes happens to be similar to the groundbreaking new Netflix series called Atypical, which is also being recognized for its sensitive portrayal of a family dealing with autism.

Agnes, presented by Lesser America, in association with Hugh Hayes, at 59E59 Theaters, 59 East 59th Street, through Saturday, September 29, 2018. By Catya McMullen. Directed by Jenna Worsham; scenic design by Angelica Borrero; costume design by Nicole Slaven; lighting design by Cheyenne Sykes; sound design by Daniel Melnick.

Cast: John Edgar Barker, Hiram Delgado, Mykal Monroe, Laura Ramadei, and Claire Siebers.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman