What were your special ed teachers like?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

JLS1986
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Sep 2018, 2:00 pm

1st Grade
Too young to remember, but I had no problems with her.

2nd & 3rd Grade
New school (moved to a different part of the city). The teacher's aide was abusive. She would take me and other students into an unused locker room for timeouts. I had to hold my hands behind my back, and she would sometimes yank my arms backwards. The abuse worsened in 3rd grade - she would take us outside for timeouts in the middle of winter without our coats on. The principal was just as bad - he once threatened to turn on the fire alarms while I was at his office.
The school district talked my mom out of filing a lawsuit or contacting the news. I later found out that both the teacher and aide no longer work there (I assume they were fired). The principal moved to a different school district and was later charged with failing to report abuse by a special ed teacher who worked there. He only received one year of probation and did not lose his job.

4th & 5th Grade
I was moved to a different school due to the abuse that occurred at my previous school. The district even paid for bussing. The teacher and her aide were very nice here.

6th Grade
Former prison guard. He dressed like a hippie and was into Pink Floyd and Van Halen. He was nice most of the time, but if you did something wrong, he screamed at you.

7th Grade
She reminded me of Judge Judy, but was never mean.

8th Grade
I had to spend the entire year eating lunch in his classroom because he feared that I would misbehave in the cafeteria. Near the end of the year, he made me leave social studies 5 minutes early (last class of the day) to avoid running into a girl that I called a slut (she always talked about the "lovely nights" she had with various guys).
In addition, my afternoon bus driver was a joke. She was a blonde overweight woman in her 30's. Her husband and 2 daughters (which looked like Cabbage Patch Kids) always rode with us. We were not allowed to sit in the last row (a stupid rule our bus company had which was rarely enforced - if the bus was rear-ended, anyone who sat there would be injured the most), so we were all crammed in the first 3 rows (the bus was a Blue Bird Micro Bird).

High School
No problems whatsoever - I only went to her classroom whenever I needed help with schoolwork.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 2:21 pm

I was in special ed for Grade 3 and 4, and most of Grade 5.
In Grade 3, there were two special ed. teachers for six of us kids... they were actually quite decent, not abusive but could be firm if you crossed into inappropriate behaviour. I had to write lines a few times, that was it.
In Grade 4, I got occasional time-outs in a separate room where I had a melt-down and started screaming and crying, but the teacher was actually very patient in explaining why I was there and what I could do to improve.
Grade 5 was no problem, and I was allowed back into a "regular" classroom by the spring.

This was in the 1980s. Guess I was one of the lucky ones, because I've read some horror stories about abuse by teachers, both special ed and "regular". 8O

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Sep 2018, 5:25 pm

None of my skewls had special ed teachers or classes till my high-skewl. However I did go to a skewl for dyslexia from the middle of 6th through 8th grade(my parents didn't know about the skewl before & it only went up to 8th). The teachers I had there were pretty nice & I felt that skewl was aLOT better for me than skewls I went to before. In high-skewl I had a resource class which was kind of like a period where we could get help with homework & finish up tests & projects & stuff. We were also able to go to the room during our class time to take tests. There was a teacher & an aid there & they were pretty nice & helpful.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

MarryKate
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Oct 2018, 3:52 pm

I didn’t go to a special school until high school, the teachers were pretty nice. Some would just mess around on their laptops the entire period but most were cool.

Hmmm except one she was a bitter soul though she had this nasty vibe about her and was a smart ass about everything