Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2005, 4:07 pm

I think that this new ruling is one of the most unfair things that America can do to its people. If people could buy land and live in their house, then they could at least have a choice to move out of that house. The US Supreme Court must have forgotten that the government was for the 'protection', not merely an 'advantage' of the people, like what John Locke said about your rights (and many of our laws are based from John Locke), and he said that "All mankind... being all equal and independent, no one ought to harm another in his life, health, liberty or possessions."

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2005, 11:22 pm

duncvis wrote:
[

Edit: Fogman - the Bob avatar is very cool... 8)

Thanks, I have the Entire Fontset :D
I was searching for a good idea for an avatar the past few days. I was leaning for either something by Arlen "big Daddy" Roth, or the Checkered Demon, but most of the stuff that I came acoss was either too big to scale down properly, or nonexistant.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2005, 12:05 am

Yep. Because of right here in Hazzlewood, Missouri. I think my mother said these people are being evicted because some private party wishes to build a mall (though I don't know how accurate the mall part is. My mother doesn't always check her sources.)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2005, 12:12 am

Well what I meant about Australia is that it officially doesn't even exist as a country. Apparently this is due to some oversight when they joined the shortlived League of Nations early in the 20th Century.

Unfortunately I'm somewhat rusty on the specifics, and it's certainly not well known- obviously the fact that they are completely without authority is not something the government would want people to know! Apparently people have got out of criminal proceedings by simply presenting a letter challenging the court's authority over them.
There was also a (probably nonsense) rumour that Pauline Hanson knew about this legal loophole and that was the real reason that she was either sent to jail or released (I forget which), because she was considered a threat if she let this become public knowledge or used it somehow.

Obviously this all sounds like nonsense because I just don't have a head for remembering the specifics of this sort of thing and how it works. I'm doing my best to remember the few bits and pieces I can, but I probably got it all wrong :(

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2005, 6:13 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/souter_property;_ylt=A9FJqY8_KsNCYQwBAwys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

Apparently now there's a small but growing movement to invoke emminent domain on Supreme Court Justice David Souter's farm in New Hampshire. :twisted: He is also receiving police protection.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2005, 3:42 am

Obviously this is such an obscene violation of rights and any SANE country wont go through with it. But then again 5 years ago or so i thought: Bush is so obviously should never run a lemonade stand, muchless the entire country, and any SANE country will not elect him.

Austrailia or Canada? Decisions, decisions.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/end.php

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2005, 3:48 am

Nomaken wrote:
Obviously this is such an obscene violation of rights and any SANE country wont go through with it. But then again 5 years ago or so i thought: Bush is so obviously should never run a lemonade stand, muchless the entire country, and any SANE country will not elect him.

What decision?

GA

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2005, 5:44 am

GalileoAce wrote:
Nomaken wrote:

What decision?

GA

The Supreme Court Decision on Emminent Domain.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2005, 5:52 am

How does that affect Canada? Much less Australia?

GA

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2005, 6:03 am

Which country i will be moving to if the USA turns into a facist state.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2005, 6:10 am

I'd suggest Australia. Canada is physically connected to the US, and if the US turned fascist, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it...

GA

ed
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2005, 3:25 pm

but I can DRIVE to Canada! :lol: