Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Space50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2018, 3:38 pm

Old music is more commonly referred to by radio stations as "classic hits" than "oldies" these days. The term "oldies" has nearly died out among radio stations.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 6:44 pm

"Classic Hits" format usually applies to pop music from the '70's to the early 90's. Oldies format is usually pop music 50's through 70's. Sometimes oldies are labeled "music of your life". There are more "Classic Hits' then "oldies" formatted stations. It is a matter of demographics. Advertisers want people 35 to 55 years old. They are going to be nostalgic about the music of their youth which would be 20 to 40 years in the past. That is the "Classic Hits" period now. Those nostalgic for the 50's and 60's are over age 65. Most advertisers do not want them because they figure they have a limited income and are too set in their ways to be persuaded to try a new product.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 7:57 pm

I like music of the 1950s and 1960s (Oldies) and some 1980s music (Classic Hits).

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 8:15 pm

Our oldies FM station turned into "classic hits" quite a few years ago, I knew something was up when they started playing a lot of Huey Lewis and Tom Petty. Nowadays they mostly play the same stuff as every other corporate sponsored "classic rock" station, plus a lot of disco.

We still have a great oldies station on the AM, though =)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 8:38 pm

What about the 40 something who listens to marches and folk music? Would those songs be called oldies or classic hits? I'm also nostalgic about the 50s and 60s.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 9:07 pm

Folk was in vogue in the late Fifties and early Sixties, and competed with Rocknroll.
Then in 1965 Dylan walked on stage with an electric guitar, and folk and rock officially merged.

So a lot of acoustic hits by folk artists(Kingston Trio) are now heard on "oldies" stations, and hits by "folk rock" artists and "singer-songwriters" (Dylan, Joni Mitchel, Simon and Garfunkel, Gordon Lightfoot, etc) tend to be from the later era and are now heard in the mix of "classic rock stations" or "classic hit stations". But I doubt you can find a radio station that plays nothing but acoustic folk music all of the time on the FM, or AM, dial. Though there maybe some on XM, or on the Net.

Before the fall of the Berlin Wall radio fare in most Communist Bloc countries was patriotic music like marches.

In the US marches are a subset of classical music, and thus placed within classical as a radio format.

But classical has been dying out as a format.

Here in the Nation's Capital we used to have two long standing classical stations: one private and one public owned.

The private one finally went under so we only have one (though we had one little Christian station that would play religious themed operas and oratorios for a while. Don't know if it still exists).