"Girls go to the library to look for boyfriends!"

Page 1 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 11:39 pm

I don't know how to post this without it sounding wrong but please bare with me.

I saw The Predator with someone from the Meet Up group I sometimes go to and he asked if I wanted to hang out at his place. He did say "I don't mean to come off like I am gay!" but I knew he wasn't since he's married to a woman and I thought maybe he wanted to play some video games or something since the Meet Up group we are a part of is into gaming. Sure enough, we played some matches in Super Smash Bros. He asked me if I was dating anyone and I told him I wasn't. Somehow my job came up and he replied with something along the lines of "Girls go to the library to look for boyfriends!" which unfortunately has not been the case for me outside of a stalking incident.

In my experience, girls who go to the library just want to check out books and aren't interested in socializing. Most girls my age that I see come into the library already have a boyfriend or are married.

GummyDinosaur
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Sep 2018, 12:00 am

Never heard of that one before. lol

I just go to the library to do homework and to be introverted. If a random person started trying to chat with me there, I’d probably be anxious. Same with any public place if a random person approached me trying to chat.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 12:02 am

Only in the movies.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 12:26 am

I've chatted with quite a few people in the library.
I don't think I've ever sat in the library cafe without someone talking to me.
I'm starting to think this must be exclusive to my area, strangers talking to each other.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 12:36 am

Well, you're the one who works in the library, so I think you know best and what you have observed is that women go to the library to check out books, not boys.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 12:42 am

Raleigh wrote:
I've chatted with quite a few people in the library.
I don't think I've ever sat in the library cafe without someone talking to me.
I'm starting to think this must be exclusive to my area, strangers talking to each other.

The library I work at doesn't have a cafe, just a lounge area that smells like crap due to the bathrooms next to it and the homeless (They also stink up the place) use it as a hang out. They harass people for money or drugs and get in fights with each other.
Strangers who approach me want me to give them money, call someone on my cellphone, or thumb a ride off of me. I even had one lean over me and tell me he thought the Illuminati was out to get him. If any women approach me, it's usually old ladies who want the latest Danielle Steel or Joyce Meyer book.

hurtloam wrote:
Well, you're the one who works in the library, so I think you know best and what you have observed is that women go to the library to check out books, not boys.

But strangely some people both here and in the real world tell me the library should be the place for me to find a girlfriend.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 12:49 am

People are full of stupid advice. I get hung up on useless advice too... hence my "men don't know how they are thread." I don't know why I get so bothered when people spout off nonsense. I think it is because I carefully weigh my words before giving advice, but some people just say things to fill the silence.

They like the feeling that they are trying to help, they like feeling like they are wise, but they don't care if they are actually, truly helping.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 1:31 pm

hurtloam wrote:
People are full of stupid advice. I get hung up on useless advice too... hence my "men don't know how they are thread." I don't know why I get so bothered when people spout off nonsense. I think it is because I carefully weigh my words before giving advice, but some people just say things to fill the silence.

They like the feeling that they are trying to help, they like feeling like they are wise, but they don't care if they are actually, truly helping.

I was told both "Go fast or the woman will think you are just a friend!" and "Go slow because women are scared of strangers!" so I got utterly confused. Some also say turning off your sexuality is bad because it makes women think you aren't interested while others say being sexual from the get go makes you perverted. This was also part of the bad boys vs. nice guys debate. I can't seem to not get away from extremes.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 1:50 pm

Then learn to interact with and aim for the younger ones of course !

Marknis wrote:
Most girls my age that I see come into the library already have a boyfriend or are married.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 2:22 pm

Libraries are NOT prime pick-up spots.

I've never talked to a girl in a public library. I never even THOUGHT about talking to girls in a public library.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 2:28 pm

A college library would likely be better -- the women are all of a certain age, many are working on their MRS degrees (as a major or a minor), and anyone who doesn't belong there is quickly removed by campus security.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 4:22 pm

I've never heard that one before. Like Fnord said, maybe it depends on the library.

I stick to the satellite smaller branch libraries now and go there usually just to pick up books I've requested. The main library where I live had a problem last year apparently with bedbugs crawling on the upholstered reading chairs. I doubt I will ever return to that building.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 4:28 pm

The last time I went to the public library branch was for a passport application and submittal. The last time I went to the university library was for research on O-type main-sequence stars.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 5:20 pm

Fnord wrote:
A college library would likely be better -- the women are all of a certain age, many are working on their MRS degrees (as a major or a minor), and anyone who doesn't belong there is quickly removed by campus security.

Not at the redneck/ghetto hip-hop/Baptist cesspool of a community college I went to. The library was practically a ghost town. I wish the whole campus would get destroyed. It stole some years of my life away from me and it's not the Shangri-La people like Luhluhluh, one of my detractors here, claims it to be. I find it odd that an atheist as she claims to be defends the Bible Belt.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 6:34 pm

Marknis wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Not at the redneck/ghetto hip-hop/Baptist cesspool of a community college I went to. The library was practically a ghost town. I wish the whole campus would get destroyed. It stole some years of my life away from me and it's not the Shangri-La people like Luhluhluh, one of my detractors here, claims it to be. I find it odd that an atheist as she claims to be defends the Bible Belt.
Sheesh! Do you ever lighten up? No wonder you have "detractors"!

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 7:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sheesh! Do you ever lighten up? No wonder you have "detractors"!

You have no business telling anyone to "lighten up", especially with your condescending attitude and the lies you also told about me to your best friend. You also claimed you gave up on trying to "help" me and yet you keep replying to me.