Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 5:52 pm

It's a great song, and it doesn't bother me.

I used to like it as a kid.

It was very atmospheric at the time. I never got a bad reaction from it (perhaps weirdly?)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 9:47 pm

One time my mum was taking a nap and my dad was at work. I thought it would be a great idea to watch a documentary on an 8 year old boy who's heart kept on falling through the skin of his chest. for the next three months, I had an intense fear that my heart would fall out of my chest if I got a little too hyper. I didn't do much running around during those three months. I was 8 at the time.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 11:23 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Does the song bother you?
I'm afraid of music by The Police.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 12:15 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
The Police (the band) -- especially Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic

I like The Police but I think Sting is a bit wierd. Though the videos to Wrapped Around Your Finger & Synchroncity II are rather disturbing.

I used to be able to do an impression of Sting singing.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 12:19 am

I'm viscerally afraid of them, especially that one song. I would sooner be injured than hear it. I don't know why, maybe it's repressed? I have synaesthesia so maybe it's something in their composition? Yes, I knew a guy similar to Sting. I met him when I already disliked The Police. Let's just say I didn't take to him well.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 12:21 am

Every Breath You Take is a Paranoiac’s paradise.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 12:25 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Every Breath You Take is a Paranoiac’s paradise.

^ + 10

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 12:29 am

Re, the police....Well now you mention it and the song started playing in my head it is fairly horrid.

My childhood fears were wolves, somebody breaking in to our flat in the night and war. Whilst they are all fairly normal, I assume, it was the extent of my fears that got on top of me. Intrusive imagery of a hand reaching through the letter box to unhook the door on the inside. Terrifying imagination about waking up in the middle of the night and finding my country (a neutral, we will stand outside every conflict and idly watch kind of country) had descended into war and physical combat, burning towns and no escape was upon me leading me to sleepwalk and find myself most nights barricaded in the shower with all my blankets. When my mum asked me what I was doing I said I was building a fort. When I moved out I was still so scared of night intrusion that I used to just walk around all night in the streets listening to my Walkman finding that preferable to being alone at home like a sitting duck waiting for the possible burglars or no-good-doers to come and get me.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 12:32 am

elsapelsa wrote:
Re, the police....Well now you mention it and the song started playing in my head it is fairly horrid.

My childhood fears were wolves, somebody breaking in to our flat in the night and war. Whilst they are all fairly normal, I assume, it was the extent of my fears that got on top of me. Intrusive imagery of a hand reaching through the letter box to unhook the door on the inside. Terrifying imagination about waking up in the middle of the night and finding my country (a neutral, we will stand outside every conflict and idly watch kind of country) had descended into war and physical combat, burning towns and no escape was upon me leading me to sleepwalk and find myself most nights barricaded in the shower with all my blankets. When my mum asked me what I was doing I said I was building a fort. When I moved out I was still so scared of night intrusion that I used to just walk around all night in the streets listening to my Walkman finding that preferable to being alone at home like a sitting duck waiting for the possible burglars or no-good-doers to come and get me.

Hi Elsa!! :P
Yes, let's start a no-Police Club, please, with no turkeys or bad guys allowed either. I'm sorry to read about your fears. I hope you sleep better and have overcome them with time.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 12:52 am

As a child I was afraid of swimming in the deep end of the pool, and had an exaggerated fear of falling off playground equipment. Exaggerated versions of mundane fears. Embarrassing to think about now. But nothing surreal. Wasn't afraid of things like "vicious gangs of 'keep leff' signs" if that's what you're asking.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 12:54 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
One time my mum was taking a nap and my dad was at work. I thought it would be a great idea to watch a documentary on an 8 year old boy who's heart kept on falling through the skin of his chest. for the next three months, I had an intense fear that my heart would fall out of my chest if I got a little too hyper. I didn't do much running around during those three months. I was 8 at the time.

DANG!

Never heard of that medical condition.

If I saw that documentary today, as a middle aged adult, I'd prolly be traumatized!

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 1:23 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm viscerally afraid of them, especially that one song. I would sooner be injured than hear it. I don't know why, maybe it's repressed? I have synaesthesia so maybe it's something in their composition? Yes, I knew a guy similar to Sting. I met him when I already disliked The Police. Let's just say I didn't take to him well.

I do remember singing Every Little Thing She Does is Magic at a Karaoke. Someone thought it was the original.

Although Don't Stand So Close to Me could be used as an Aspie song. I remember singing that a couple of times in a tongue-in-cheek way at school. More when I didn't want anyone standing close to me which was quite regular.

Like I said Sting is just a very odd person, I think he is arrogant and have some very odd ideas as well.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 2:22 am

When I was 7 my family moved into a really old house. It had a really old toilet and it was its flush that I became afraid of. To me it sounded as if it would explode as it had a rising in pitch sound.

When I needed to go to the toilet, I would just go and not flush it. Is it any wonder I developed IBS at this time?

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 3:34 am

renaeden wrote:
When I was 7 my family moved into a really old house. It had a really old toilet and it was its flush that I became afraid of. To me it sounded as if it would explode as it had a rising in pitch sound.

When I needed to go to the toilet, I would just go and not flush it. Is it any wonder I developed IBS at this time?

My daughter was also scared of flushing from 5-7 as she worried it would flood. However that was nothing compared to self flushing toilets. They were the bane of our existence. I have become a contortionist at airport bathroom visits blocking the sensor to the flush, holding a baby, keeping check of the bags, passing the loo roll whilst repeating over and over in a non threatening voice (whilst the sweat poured off me) "it is not going to flush...." "it is not going to flush." Boy, only now have I seen the signs at airports that say "not all disabilities are visible" we should have so just used the disabled loos.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 7:34 am

MrMacPhisto wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

I do remember singing Every Little Thing She Does is Magic at a Karaoke. Someone thought it was the original.

Although Don't Stand So Close to Me could be used as an Aspie song. I remember singing that a couple of times in a tongue-in-cheek way at school. More when I didn't want anyone standing close to me which was quite regular.

Like I said Sting is just a very odd person, I think he is arrogant and have some very odd ideas as well.

Eeek, yeah. Don't Stand is basically pedophilia if you listen closely. Not cool.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 12:21 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:

Hi Elsa!! :P
Yes, let's start a no-Police Club, please, with no turkeys or bad guys allowed either. I'm sorry to read about your fears. I hope you sleep better and have overcome them with time.

Hello! :heart: I still don't sleep but that is not due to fear anymore.