Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 12:53 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
As a kid, I loved candy of all sorts, but especially chocolates. Later in life, it was chips, which I could never get enough of. Now I'm paying for it. :cry:

I loved butter and cream and gravy and salty stuff [still do :oops: ]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 12:57 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
As a kid, I loved candy of all sorts, but especially chocolates. Later in life, it was chips, which I could never get enough of. Now I'm paying for it. :cry:

I try to stay away from carbs these days, but because they are so inexpensive I end up having them too often as sides for dinner, sending my blood sugar rocketing. Also ice cream... ice cream is my bane.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 1:02 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I try to stay away from carbs these days, but because they are so inexpensive I end up having them too often as sides for dinner, sending my blood sugar rocketing. Also ice cream... ice cream is my bane.

what do you think of diet ice cream [sugarfree]?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 1:22 am

auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Grammar Geek wrote:
I’m fat because I’m extremely sensitive to taste, and most healthy food is overpowering to me in taste, smell, and/or texture. I want to lose weight more than anything, but it’s hard when so many things that are healthy are intolerable for me.

How curious.

When I was a kid I loved stuff that is healthful: fruit, spinach, veggies and gravitated toward balanced meals of veggies carbs with meat. And I couldnt have cared less about candy. In fact I hated most kinds of candy as a child. Still do.

if you don't like sweet, what do you think of savory?

Savory? Not aure how you are using the word. Even as a kid I liked many candies like m and ms hershy bars. In fact I like sinful stuff like coconut garnish and cinnabons. But what I hate is stuff like mars bars that you cant chew- its like eating glue. And even with candy I like I get easily satiated. A couple mouthfuls and I am done, cant eat any more while other folks just keep eating it all night. But (a) also like fruit- as a source of sweetness, and (b) my lack of addiction to sugar seems to be balanced by an over active need for starch. Have put a number of Shoney all you can eat places out of business because I eat rice and potatoes and pasta by the wheelbarrowful. Lol!

savory is like the flavor of umami [a kind of undertone saltiness similar to MSG] that you find in cooked proteins and grains. I am wondering, if you eat so many starches, how do you stay slender? :scratch:

If by savory you mean like Chinese dishes, or Italian, then yes that's my thing. My own bachelor style of cooking for myself is very quasi Chinese and or quasi Italian in style. Like to mix my vegetables and my proteins with my carbs in one dish.

I do try to limit my starches lately. Try not to give myself food comas like I used to. And in my job I am on my feet all of the time. So that seems to help.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 1:25 am

naturalplastic wrote:
If by savory you mean like Chinese dishes, or Italian, then yes that's my thing. My own bachelor style of cooking for myself is very quasi Chinese and or quasi Italian in style. Like to mix my vegetables and my proteins with my carbs in one dish. I do try to limit my starches lately. Try not to give myself food comas like I used to. And in my job I am on my feet all of the time. So that seems to help.

I do that also, I like my meals to be consolidated, not having to reach over to eat the peas then reach back to grab the meat or drink, so all is in the same pot. :chef:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 1:32 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I actually do like the sugar free stuff, but it can be hard to find, usually more expensive, and limited in flavors.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 1:37 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I actually do like the sugar free stuff, but it can be hard to find, usually more expensive, and limited in flavors.
my local wally world carries bluebunny icecream which is an excellent diet [no sugar] icecream IMHO, you might wanna try it, it comes in several diet flavors besides the usual diet ones. :chef: also I discovered that veggies fried Asian style in a wok can taste surprisingly good and replace the bulk of your carbs. :idea:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 1:45 am

A couple of anecdotal observations.

In this thread viewtopic.php?t=368447 many that replied said they mainly or only eat because they have to.

Also of all the autistics I've been around, the minority were not overweight. Although granted most were 6 to 18 years old.

Last edited by EzraS on 25 Sep 2018, 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 1:48 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

my local wally world carries bluebunny icecream which is an excellent diet [no sugar] icecream IMHO, you might wanna try it, it comes in several diet flavors besides the usual diet ones. :chef: also I discovered that veggies fried Asian style in a wok can taste surprisingly good and replace the bulk of your carbs. :idea:

Hmm... I shall have to look at Walmart.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 2:21 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 5:02 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I'll look for it. Are there any other flavors?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 6:39 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

if memory serves me right, there is vanilla, chocolate, I think something called "moose tracks" which is some kinda chocolatey marshmallowey stuff, banana split, a flavor similar to butter brickle but I can't recall the exact name. several, so you can eat one per week of the diet stuff and not get too tired of it right away.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 12:45 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

if memory serves me right, there is vanilla, chocolate, I think something called "moose tracks" which is some kinda chocolatey marshmallowey stuff, banana split, a flavor similar to butter brickle but I can't recall the exact name. several, so you can eat one per week of the diet stuff and not get too tired of it right away.

Sounds yummy. :D

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 10:19 pm

Most people aren't physically active these days. In pioneer days people had to do hard labor all day long under the sun just to survive, but now they're stuck behind a computer all day long while stuck in a cubicle. Kids are stuck at a desk in school. And then they go home and spend more time in front of a computer or the TV, or doing homework or paperwork.

And many parents these days are terrified of even letting their kids play in the back yard, thanks to all the "stranger danger", and everyone you see could be a pedophile. :roll:

However, when I was a kid, my mom was constantly trying to get me to lose weight by playing outside more. I'd spend many an cold, dreary afternoon alone outside, freezing my buns off and being bored to tears. Exercise was nothing but torture and punishment for being fat. I hated it. The only physical activity I was good at and actually enjoyed was swimming but I only got to do that in the summer and still didn't lose weight even though I'd be outdoors playing a lot more often at the campgrounds my parents took me to. I think the only way I could lose weight now is to practically starve myself and work out for hours at a time. Not gonna happen. I've spent too much of my life in discomfort, and we're all going to die soon anyway so it may as well be while I'm relaxed and comfortable. Or as much I reasonably hope to be in this putrid society of ours.

Heat844
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2018, 8:43 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Heat844 wrote:
Grammar Geek wrote:
I’m fat because I’m extremely sensitive to taste, and most healthy food is overpowering to me in taste, smell, and/or texture. I want to lose weight more than anything, but it’s hard when so many things that are healthy are intolerable for me.

Me too (except for smell)! Perhaps we're super tasters. But I've never been overweight. I was 90 some pounds when I graduated high school and weigh about 110 pounds 22 years later. I was 115 pounds for years and years until I had an appendectomy and resulting bowel obstruction surgery 11 months ago.

welcome to our club, Heat :alien: let me guess- you find it cold when others around you are warm or hot?
No. I don't think so.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2018, 12:52 am

so many factors.

We tend to earn less money, so poverty plays a big role in peoples' diets & thus many of us eat poorly, resulting in weight gain.

Fatigue symptoms may prevent some from being active enough.

Comfort eating/low impulse control.

Limited diet due to sensory issues whether taste or texture etc.

And, IMO, it's not just fat mass gain.. IMO, a part of the measurable statistic is very likely due to intestinal bloating caused by diet/gut dysbiosis. It's science. I Know that when my diet is poor this happens to me & I gain "weight," right In my gut, not fat mass around it, but noticeable mass gain in my large intestine that becomes obviously bloated & expanded. If I eat super clean and healthy with plenty of fibre and water, this doesn't happen.