Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 3:06 am

I've learned to cook all sorts of food I like to eat without gaining weight. I do practice portion control, and like to freeze freshly baked goods for eating at a later time.

Lindsey1151
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 May 2019, 1:03 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
I must not be autistic, then. After all, I weigh about 120 lbs. at 5'7". Malabsorption is a big problem for me. I can eat anything and as much as I choose, but I don't gain an ounce.

I remember that Kaiser Permanente presented its finding of weight gain among autists during the 2015 IMfAR International Meeting for Autism Research conference. The presentation had a lot of data, but focused primarily on weight gain among autists. I don't remember if any causes or remedies were discussed, so it was probably original research.

Autism affects metabolism. Autism either gives you a very extremely fast metabolism or a really slow one.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 10:31 am

There is no slow or fast metabolism, that is misinformation we often hear. Your metabolism is based on how active you are and the more you weigh, the more calories your body needs to maintain that size. So if a 500 lb person decided to eat 2,000 calories a day, they would actually lose weight despite that they sit around. People who weigh that much have a food addiction and they have underlining issues because no one eats themselves to 500 lbs unless they have other issues going on.

Most people are overweight because of what is in our food that makes us want to eat more, it's our life styles we have like how many of us have desk jobs? Also it's what we eat. Sure if you have a job where you work on your feet all day, you will have "fast metabolism" because you are using more energy so you will need more calories than someone else who has a sit down job and doesn't get much activity. There is a saying "move more, eat more."

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 3:32 am

chronic unrelieved stress is a known metabolism slow-downer. :idea: so the idea that we all are equivalent in our energy needs/metabolism needs rethinking. some of us, because of said stress, are cursed with glacially slow metabolism.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 5:55 am

Had eating disorders in my teenage years (that always linger) and am also not interested in food at all. It gives me no pleasure and I just find it an annoyance. All of this means I am not always the healthiest eater and, maybe ASD related, I just eat the same 2 or 3 meals over and over.

That said, I have got much better over the last 2 years since I took up weightlifting. It has made me focus a little more on what I eat to get the most from my efforts and I have got myself in shape really well, it wears me out so I sleep well and it gives me something to focus on, a challenge to raise myself to.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 7:16 pm

...NOW you tell me!! !! ! :(

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!