Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 10:38 pm

I was a skinny kid but battled weight ever since. the army was the last time I was skinny because they sweat it off of me. when I got out I ballooned to 230# and was quite tubby, until I got sick of being that fat and started minding my p's and q's and got back down to an average kinda weight.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 12:38 am

Am an aspie. Many relatives have aspie traits. But I am not overweight. And I don't have any fat relatives.

When I used to go to the city aspie/autistic support group I would be in a room full of other spectrumites. It never seemed like there were more obese folks than normal for a comparable sized crowd. But I never looked around to keep tabs on that particular trait either. I dunno. Maybe austics tend to be fatties, or maybe not.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 9:16 am

I exercise regularly, am a vegan, and have never had a weight issue even in my youth. I think this is an over generalization of sorts ...

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 1:37 pm

I’m fat because I’m extremely sensitive to taste, and most healthy food is overpowering to me in taste, smell, and/or texture. I want to lose weight more than anything, but it’s hard when so many things that are healthy are intolerable for me.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 3:14 pm

Autism and depression/anxiety are unfortunately often good friends. Depression/anxiety and weight issues also often go together.
Hence, I think it may be right that Autism (indirectly) gives higher chances of overweight.

However, I think it could probably also indirectly trigger underweight, on one side due to depression and anxiety (which may have this opposite effect) and on the other side because autistic people, especially children seem to be more picky with food.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 8:44 pm

I'm 5-7 and I weigh about 270 lbs. I'm cute and cuddly and the greenest and roundest of loves.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 10:19 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:
I’m fat because I’m extremely sensitive to taste, and most healthy food is overpowering to me in taste, smell, and/or texture. I want to lose weight more than anything, but it’s hard when so many things that are healthy are intolerable for me.

it is a matter of priorities. salty and creamy tend to be unhealthy. my health went seriously downhill when rich diet combined unfavorably with advanced age, and I then had to make a choice- to "taste good but feel bad" - or "taste bad but feel good" - I chose the latter and have not looked back. my joints are happier also to not haul around extra weight.

Heat844
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Sep 2018, 1:20 am

Grammar Geek wrote:

Me too (except for smell)! Perhaps we're super tasters. But I've never been overweight. I was 90 some pounds when I graduated high school and weigh about 110 pounds 22 years later. I was 115 pounds for years and years until I had an appendectomy and resulting bowel obstruction surgery 11 months ago.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 1:21 am

Heat844 wrote:
Grammar Geek wrote:

Me too (except for smell)! Perhaps we're super tasters. But I've never been overweight. I was 90 some pounds when I graduated high school and weigh about 110 pounds 22 years later. I was 115 pounds for years and years until I had an appendectomy and resulting bowel obstruction surgery 11 months ago.

welcome to our club, Heat :alien: let me guess- you find it cold when others around you are warm or hot?

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 6:00 pm

Maybe some autistic people lack basic coordination, so they can't do sports meaning they get fat.

However study or not there's no relation between autism and obesity, only between laziness/ lack of self-caring to obesity which is an entirely different illness.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 8:19 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:

How curious.

When I was a kid I loved stuff that is healthful: fruit, spinach, veggies and gravitated toward balanced meals of veggies carbs with meat. And I couldnt have cared less about candy. In fact I hated most kinds of candy as a child. Still do.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 9:41 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Grammar Geek wrote:

How curious.

When I was a kid I loved stuff that is healthful: fruit, spinach, veggies and gravitated toward balanced meals of veggies carbs with meat. And I couldnt have cared less about candy. In fact I hated most kinds of candy as a child. Still do.

if you don't like sweet, what do you think of savory?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 12:23 am

auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Grammar Geek wrote:

How curious.

Savory? Not aure how you are using the word.

Even as a kid I liked many candies like m and ms hershy bars. In fact I like sinful stuff like coconut garnish and cinnabons. But what I hate is stuff like mars bars that you cant chew- its like eating glue. And even with candy I like I get easily satiated. A couple mouthfuls and I am done, cant eat any more while other folks just keep eating it all night. But (a) also like fruit- as a source of sweetness, and (b) my lack of addiction to sugar seems to be balanced by an over active need for starch. Have put a number of Shoney all you can eat places out of business because I eat rice and potatoes and pasta by the wheelbarrowful. Lol!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 12:40 am

As a kid, I loved candy of all sorts, but especially chocolates. Later in life, it was chips, which I could never get enough of. Now I'm paying for it. :cry:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 12:52 am

naturalplastic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Grammar Geek wrote:

How curious.

Savory? Not aure how you are using the word. Even as a kid I liked many candies like m and ms hershy bars. In fact I like sinful stuff like coconut garnish and cinnabons. But what I hate is stuff like mars bars that you cant chew- its like eating glue. And even with candy I like I get easily satiated. A couple mouthfuls and I am done, cant eat any more while other folks just keep eating it all night. But (a) also like fruit- as a source of sweetness, and (b) my lack of addiction to sugar seems to be balanced by an over active need for starch. Have put a number of Shoney all you can eat places out of business because I eat rice and potatoes and pasta by the wheelbarrowful. Lol!

savory is like the flavor of umami [a kind of undertone saltiness similar to MSG] that you find in cooked proteins and grains. I am wondering, if you eat so many starches, how do you stay slender? :scratch:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 12:53 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
As a kid, I loved candy of all sorts, but especially chocolates. Later in life, it was chips, which I could never get enough of. Now I'm paying for it. :cry:

I loved butter and cream and gravy and salty stuff [still do :oops: ]