Why is society so on edge about everything today?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 12:37 pm

Magna wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
pete413 wrote:
Its information overload on a collective scale. A side effect of the info age we live in.
They have been saying it for years, we all need to just slow down.

But the demands of economy, and the rapid techno drum beat of media keep us all running around like crazy.
Our perceptions of people have changed, distorted by the drama of the internet and other media.

We can blame politicians if we want to, but really it's about as they say "stopping and smelling the roses".
Do we really need as many fancy toys? or stay on top of that latest tv show/film/game or whatever?

Distortion, yes! We can't even watch a report on a hurricane without it being made more dramatic then it has to be.

That was one of the better fake news items I've seen as of late....fakey fake fake.....

Or, perhaps, all these reporters just have exceptionally weak legs.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 8:30 pm

First mantra of what passes for modern day broadcast journalism: “If it bleeds, it leads.”

First mantra of print journalism: “How much advertising money can we make on this story?”

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 9:10 pm

I wanted to find a better example of blue/green/chroma-key being used to manipulate/fake main-stream (lame-stream) so-called news, but this will have to do for now. Speaking of better examples... I quote someone...
«Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example» -Mark Twain

VegetableMan wrote:
Magna wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
pete413 wrote:
Its information overload on a collective scale. A side effect of the info age we live in.
They have been saying it for years, we all need to just slow down.

But the demands of economy, and the rapid techno drum beat of media keep us all running around like crazy.
Our perceptions of people have changed, distorted by the drama of the internet and other media.

We can blame politicians if we want to, but really it's about as they say "stopping and smelling the roses".
Do we really need as many fancy toys? or stay on top of that latest tv show/film/game or whatever?

Distortion, yes! We can't even watch a report on a hurricane without it being made more dramatic then it has to be.

That was one of the better fake news items I've seen as of late....fakey fake fake.....

Or, perhaps, all these reporters just have exceptionally weak legs.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 10:24 pm

[quote="Ban-Dodger"]I wanted to find a better example of blue/green/chroma-key being used to manipulate/fake main-stream (lame-stream) so-called news, but this will have to do for now. Speaking of better examples... I quote someone...
«Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example» -Mark Twain

But, but wait! That's, uh, just a bunch of right-wing conspiracy mumbo jumbo. The media and government (blesses himself) aren't coordinated to, tsk, manipulate people and shape their opinions (eye roll). Oh, I almost forgot to add: Put your ah, tinfoil hat back on!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 11:11 pm

Maybe people would be less on edge if the world wasn't so full of crap. More than ever now we can't go anywhere or do anything without living in fear of terrorists, nukes, mass murderers, outbreaks of deadly diseases, and weather disasters. Our food and water are poisoned, and the politicians are all demented lunatics who lie so much that if there really was a god they'd be incinerated by bolts of lightening a long time ago. Or their tongues should have turned black and fallen out. :x

Ever since the 90's I have lived in profound fear and anxiety of how horrible the world is and is only going to get worse. Am I the only one who does while everyone else just hides their heads in the proverbial sand? :(

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 11:21 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Maybe people would be less on edge if the world wasn't so full of crap. More than ever now we can't go anywhere or do anything without living in fear of terrorists, nukes, mass murderers, outbreaks of deadly diseases, and weather disasters. Our food and water are poisoned, and the politicians are all demented lunatics who lie so much that if there really was a god they'd be incinerated by bolts of lightening a long time ago. Or their tongues should have turned black and fallen out. :x

Ever since the 90's I have lived in profound fear and anxiety of how horrible the world is and is only going to get worse. Am I the only one who does while everyone else just hides their heads in the proverbial sand? :(

You’re not the only one. Frankly, I’ve given up. I no longer care about much of anything. I’d rather live out the rest of my miserable life in seclusion with as little contact with outside world as possible.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 11:40 pm

Because nobody likes honesty these days. The whole mess started in 1989.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 12:01 am

MSBKyle wrote:
It seems that everything is taken seriously. Someone always has to find something to be offended about. You can't make a joke or say something without offending someone. What has changed in our culture over the last 20 or so years that has put people on edge about everything?

This is primarily a change in the NT world. People have become more socially connected through the electronic media but at the same time have become more socially dysfunctional and disconnected. They don't look at each other anymore. They look at their phones. They are always in a tizzy. They are bullied or they bully others through anonymity. The give and take of social discourse that use to exist has transformed into a badminton volley of attacks or impersonal gestures. It is almost like the modern world has forgotten how to hold hands.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 12:34 am

K, mon. Didn't realise it was Tin Foil Hat Day. Just give me a moment to fit it properly...

Magna wrote:
Put your ah, tinfoil hat back on!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 11:54 am

I guess I must be oversensitive. All the times I've gotten in trouble during my life was from being too sensitive while bullies and cruel people have gotten away scot-free. :x

And right now I'm even more oversensitive, maybe because it's getting close to my time of month and I haven't been feeling well the past couple of days because of some intestinal virus or infection. But that's no excuse. :(

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 12:15 pm

With apologies to The X-Files, "Because, all the evidence to the contrary is not entirely dissuasive."

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)