Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 4:44 am

Okay, just had to bother listening to this lately, instead of putting it off and off. (Besides... that looked like such an attractive woman on the screen, but not to detract, the comments-section was quite interesting reading)

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 2:33 pm

Interesting topic! I have to confess I didn't watch all the video, my attention span isn't the best.

I was assessing every single food I have eaten. Each one I ate individually (including taking a couple of spoonfuls of a cooking oil such as olive oil) and noted the physical and mental effects on me. Through this experimentation over a number of weeks I concluded every starchy food such as lentils, beans, rice, quinoa, potatoes, wheat and others give me brain fog, sleepiness and irritability. I realized that more or less any carbohydrate source inflames my body, even the little that's in sunflower seeds.

So I've decided to try the GAPS diet. It's challenging. My food intake now consists of mostly cooking oils, meat, green vegetables, onions, garlic and bone broth. My brain is more alert and able to read books or stick to focusing on tasks than usual but I feel physically limited. From going on daily 7 mile walks I've now cut down to about a mile or two a day at a much slower pace.

This seems necessary though to kill the candida that I think is in my gut. I can't prove that it's there but I've had extreme food intolerances for about 14 years. Whether or not I've got candida something is very wrong with how my body handles foods most people can eat harmlessly. From what I've read online, people can have to stick to this diet for up to 2 years to be able to anything resembling a normal diet again without getting constant inflammation.

I feel rather daunted by the prospect. Today I roasted a chicken in some coconut oil and it was delicious but the effort of then making bone broth with the carcass, and all the pot washing this entailed has tired me out.

Foods I was used to were gradually being eliminated as I noticed bad reactions from them. Before I started the GAPS diet I was still eating wholegrain rice I was sprouting on the windowsill. This rice was a lot easier to digest than any other starch I tried but I still think it might have been causing me problems. I'm disappointed that when I researched online I couldn't find anyone who's doing a GAPS or anti-candida diet mentioning having tried sprouted grains or legumes or seeds. I still wonder if they might be okay to consume, though I really want to heal my body so would prefer not to take the risk.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 3:56 am

fifasy wrote:
Interesting topic! I have to confess I didn't watch all the video, my attention span isn't the best.

Yeah, long videos are a little difficult to pay attention to, unless you've specifically set aside specific time to specifically schedule for one sole specific purpose. Even I multi-tasked and «listened» rather than watching.
Another forum-member did post comprehensive information from a PubMed (I think) article that supports pretty much all of the claims that this woman speaks of in addition to the experiences reported by those in the comments.

fifasy wrote:
I was assessing every single food I have eaten. Each one I ate individually (including taking a couple of spoonfuls of a cooking oil such as olive oil) and noted the physical and mental effects on me. Through this experimentation over a number of weeks I concluded every starchy food such as lentils, beans, rice, quinoa, potatoes, wheat and others give me brain fog, sleepiness and irritability. I realized that more or less any carbohydrate source inflames my body, even the little that's in sunflower seeds.

Interesting! I have a different reason for avoiding starches. Fattens me up and causes me dandruff.
fifasy wrote:
So I've decided to try the GAPS diet. It's challenging. My food intake now consists of mostly cooking oils, meat, green vegetables, onions, garlic and bone broth. My brain is more alert and able to read books or stick to focusing on tasks than usual but I feel physically limited. From going on daily 7 mile walks I've now cut down to about a mile or two a day at a much slower pace.

I think you can probably get back into optimum physical-condition if you just eat more often. I remember a time, partly because of my Olympics-level all-day training, when I ate 2-3 bites of food every 10-15 minutes, all day long, starting from when I woke up (and started my 14-hour physical-fitness training routines), rather than the current life-style change of eating pretty much only once or twice a day now (due to the amount of time that I now need to spend trying to get a lot of work done on my computer related to the law-system).
fifasy wrote:
This seems necessary though to kill the candida that I think is in my gut. I can't prove that it's there but I've had extreme food intolerances for about 14 years. Whether or not I've got candida something is very wrong with how my body handles foods most people can eat harmlessly. From what I've read online, people can have to stick to this diet for up to 2 years to be able to anything resembling a normal diet again without getting constant inflammation.

I think there is something to being able to change/alter our DNA. I apparently used to be lactose-intolerant, but now, I don't really have any issue or problem with consuming fresh/organic-milk.
fifasy wrote:
I feel rather daunted by the prospect. Today I roasted a chicken in some coconut oil and it was delicious but the effort of then making bone broth with the carcass, and all the pot washing this entailed has tired me out.

Well, whilst such efforts do not necessarily «tire» me out (other than during the years when my health was compromised due to being caused by the psychotropic-drugs that I did not «need» until I learned enough to recover from the damage sufficiently), I do find the clean-up to be rather time-consuming. I am seriously considering to just maybe hire me a maid and/or butler to do the cooking/cleaning for me instead. I suppose I just need to put together first the specific step-by-step instructions of what and how to cook my food per my preference.
fifasy wrote:
Foods I was used to were gradually being eliminated as I noticed bad reactions from them. Before I started the GAPS diet I was still eating wholegrain rice I was sprouting on the windowsill. This rice was a lot easier to digest than any other starch I tried but I still think it might have been causing me problems. I'm disappointed that when I researched online I couldn't find anyone who's doing a GAPS or anti-candida diet mentioning having tried sprouted grains or legumes or seeds. I still wonder if they might be okay to consume, though I really want to heal my body so would prefer not to take the risk.

I now have a book written by Terry Wahls (The Wahl's Protocol) that lists a number of different food-categories, including the specific foods in those categories, and what their purposes/effects are for. She also did a TEDx talk known as Minding Your Mitochondria (should also be accessible on YouTube and full of comments). I remember reading a section on seeds, but that was some time ago, and wasn't the focus of my reading. She has had lots of clients, had originally been trained in «conventional» medicine/science, and teaches at the Iowa University (if I remember correctly). I wonder if she's had any patients who have experience with what information you are looking for.