Assassins Creed; Prince of Persia Offshoot?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2018, 5:33 am

Random question, but is Prince of Persia the basis for the Assassins Creed franchise? I don't mean to say it's the same universe or anything, but was it at least the inspiration for it?

I'm just asking because I was thinking recently about Sands of Time (I think...?) where I seem to remember a narrative mechanic being that the story (i.e., what you actually play) is being told from the future. So when you fail at any point, the narrator goes back to correct it (i.e., you respawning). This reminds me a lot of the desynchronisation in AC.

I'm also thinking about the setting, which feels similar in nature to AC (an historical, real world background with slightly altered facts). Also, both being developed by Ubisoft, if I remember correctly.

What this has me considering is if maybe they are part of the same universe or, at the least, that AC was a sort of offshoot franchise, in essence a retelling and reboot of PoP.

Any thoughts?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 8:26 am

PoP was one of the roots of AC, which took inspiration from the novel "Alamut" by the Slovenian writer Vladimir Bartol, while also building upon several concepts from the PoP series.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2018, 8:48 am

Fnord wrote:
PoP was one of the roots of AC, which took inspiration from the novel "Alamut" by the Slovenian writer Vladimir Bartol, while also building upon several concepts from the PoP series.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.