Eat because you like it, or for survival.

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 9:43 am

Sometimes I find it difficult to find foods that I like (usually I stick to plain foods if possible, my sense of taste seems to be hypersensitive), and eating whilst I'm surrounded by others isn't always ideal. When I eat I tend to get questions such as "Why do you eat that way?" "Can't you eat faster?" "Why are you sorting it into piles?" "Is there any significance to each section?" "Why can't you eat normally?".

Also the sound of chewing gets on my nerves. I know people can't help it, my brain just gets annoyed for no reason. Then there's also the fact my family tend to talk about rather disgusting topics at the dinner table. Sometimes I'll be eating and my mind will go to a horrific scene from a film or I'll remember something that someone said several years ago (such as comparing a certain food to an eyeball for example). Doesn't exactly help my appetite.

I usually just eat whenever I'm hungry, and I try not to put it off too much (otherwise I tend to get rather agitated as my blood sugar starts to drop) this is why it's a good idea to bring snacks on long car journeys. Otherwise everyone starts yelling. :lol:

Unfortunately, I've lost a lot of weight recently. I was already quite skinny before, so this isn't good. The two main reasons this has happened are;

- I've been oversleeping and therefore missed meals as a result.

- Recently I've been having issues with my stomach caused by nasal drip, leading to a lack of appetite and difficulty eating. Thankfully, I have been improving lately and I've gained back my desire to eat. However, during this time I managed to lose two stone (used to be ten stone, now I'm eight stone).

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 10:34 am

Mostly for survival for various reasons.
But I'd rather eat as I please if only I have the money and if only my body isn't needy and being fickle.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 10:51 am

I know people are going to look at me for being weird or strange for, what I'm about to say.Basically, I've rarely had the notion of a physical feeling of hunger, stomach growling etc, whereby, I simply did not feel hungry though others around me would indicate their own feelings of hunger.MNo, I've not taken any medications that reduce nor suppress hunger, nor have any eating disorder, just have rarely had the internal feelings of feeling hungry if this makes sense at all? Lastly, I do eat regardless of whether, my internal systems alert me to feeling hungry, for I seek to continue to function from here on out. I hope I've properly explained myself and how I relate to this post, if further clarification is needed, I don't mind.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 4:42 pm

kazanscube wrote:
I've rarely had the notion of a physical feeling of hunger, stomach growling etc

Possibly not as weird as you think. I usually have to be at the stomach-growling stage before I notice, and I don't even notice that if I'm hyper-focused on something. I often have to hear the noise of the growling rather than feeling it, and even then, I don't always realise that it's me. My sense of my own body functions (interoception) is poor generally; I'm the same with thirst, needing the toilet, etc. too. Sensitivities or insensitivities to sound, light, taste, touch and smell are common for autistic people, and there's no reason that interoception should be any different. My dyspraxic traits seem mostly caused by poor sense of body position (proprioception) too. It's easy to forget about these other senses; there are far more than the five classic ones taught in classrooms, and they're all just as likely to be affected by autism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 4:44 pm

Why can't I be like you folks?

I'm perpetually on the "see-food" diet.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 5:56 pm

Both. I love sweets and mac and cheese and pasta. I know I can't just eat all the sweets I want or else I will get fat because of how calorie dense it is and the fact it will just go through me fast and I will be hungry again sooner. But I also need to eat to keep healthy and I find if we lack sweets in our home, I won't eat as much and it forces me to eat very little. Plus food costs money so the less I eat, the more I save. But sadly I am outvoted because I am not the only person living in my house. So that also forces me to not eat much. Without sweets, I have actually lost weight again. But at the same time I can enjoy eating. I am very hungry and I look forward to eating my favorite food. Or we decide to go out to eat and I can enjoy eating at the same time when I need to eat.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 1:04 am

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
For me, food is like sex. In the company of others, it can be a varied, creative, elaborate source of exquisite pleasure. Alone, it's a matter of simple necessity.

Yeah, I'm like this too. I love eating out or cooking for others, by myself I keep things very basic.

Raleigh wrote:
I'm in the food is like sex category.
I always buy good quality food - junk food and frozen pizzas are crap, IMO, and I don't know why anyone would want to put them in their mouths.
I'm sure a lot of people eat without actually tasting.

And this - I actually get slightly nauseous from the smell of it too - I'd pick a public toilet ever the smell coming out of McDonald's.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 7:11 am

Trogluddite wrote:
kazanscube wrote:
I've rarely had the notion of a physical feeling of hunger, stomach growling etc

Possibly not as weird as you think. I usually have to be at the stomach-growling stage before I notice, and I don't even notice that if I'm hyper-focused on something. I often have to hear the noise of the growling rather than feeling it, and even then, I don't always realise that it's me. My sense of my own body functions (interoception) is poor generally; I'm the same with thirst, needing the toilet, etc. too.

^This , I don't even feel hungry when my stomach's growling , I wonder if interoception is related to alexthymia ?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

B19
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 7:36 am

Raleigh wrote:
I'm in the food is like sex category.
I always buy good quality food - junk food and frozen pizzas are crap, IMO, and I don't know why anyone would want to put them in their mouths.
I'm sure a lot of people eat without actually tasting.

Me too. I like food that is nourishing, fresh, carefully prepared and delightful to eat. I don't eat fast food or processed junk food. It saddens me to see children fed it by parents instead of real food.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 9:13 am

Yes, quality over quantity. I'll buy top quality steak and cut it into reasonably sized portions. Last night I had New York Strip cooked medium-rare.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 9:51 pm

OP:

I love eating

How do you go for several days in a row without eating? What kind of activities are you doing?

Unless I was brain damaged or something I could not imagine forgetting to eat for several days

Because I am so gluttonous

greedy

sloth

lazy

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 11:58 pm

I eat because I like it. I don't eat because I don't want to die from obesity.

Fuzzyair
Toucan
Toucan

21 Sep 2018, 7:41 am

I am also very skinny and don't enjoy eating at all. I eat because I have to and mostly I'll try and eat small things, like sandwiches. I don't even like snacking on sweets.

My parents struggle a lot to get me to eat the 'right' things. I don't really know why I don't like eating, it just makes me feel uncomfortable and a lot of the time it has a bad effect on my tummy.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Sep 2018, 3:38 pm

I eat because I like it. I was an extremely picky eater as a kid & refused to eat anything I did not like. People were worried I would die when I was really little because of how much I refused to eat. I would usually only eat one meal a day as a kid, teen & in my 20s because my my mom hated cooking special meals for me & I have a hard time with cooking due to various disabilities. I would pig out when food I liked was available enough for that. I gained aLOT of weight since I moved in with my girlfriend about 6 years ago. Food I eat is more available & I also binge eat on snacks.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

BookwormSophie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2018, 5:33 am

I love food!! I wish I had 10 stomachs.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 6:22 am

I love food and cooking. There's almost nothing I wouldn't eat, maybe except candies. I enjoy shopping and planning meals, I strive to put a large and varied dinner on the table every night. I enjoy food cooked by myself a lot, even when I eat them alone. Serving up a big feast to my guests is my favorite part of having guests over.