Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

clay5
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Sep 2018, 11:18 am

English isn't my first language, so I apologize if this isn't easy to read.

I'm at my new temp factory job since about 2 months now, and I'm feeling awful there. Two of the guys in my team are really nasty to me. I dread going there every day and I cry after work. I've applied to so many jobs before I got this current one and I only got rejections. Until I find a new job many, many months could pass, maybe even more than a year. Or I might never find another job. So not quitting until I have found a new job isn't a realistic option. My options are staying there or quitting.

If I quit, I fear the temp agency won't hire me again. I contacted them today asking if they could place me in some other factory. But I doubt it will work out.

I have savings that I could live off for about a year if I live frugally and don't run into any unforeseen large expenses.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 11:27 am

It is normally a lot easier to get a job if you already have one. So, just because you had a lot of rejections in the past doesn't really mean it will be that way if you look now while you still have a job.

clay5

18 Sep 2018, 11:32 am

BTDT wrote:
It is normally a lot easier to get a job if you already have one. So, just because you had a lot of rejections in the past doesn't really mean it will be that way if you look now while you still have a job.

When I was applying in the past and got rejection after rejection I also had a job (which I wanted to leave because I was commuting 3 hours a day for it, and it was just a min wage temp job too so the commute wasn't worth it).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 11:34 am

In what way are these people making you cry? How are they treating you badly?

Please note that I'm not doubting that you are being treated badly. I've been treated badly at some jobs, too.

clay5

18 Sep 2018, 1:17 pm

They've had problems with me from the start that I am sure come from a personal dislike for me. At least all their remarks are personal comments, mocking, laughing.
I once asked one guy what his problem with me is after a woman came to me and said he just followed her outside to ask her what I just said about him (I didn't say anything at all. She and I weren't even speaking to each other). He then told me it pisses him off that someone who is new doesn't show more interest. If this is the reason, I got to throw the towel anyway because how I feel is I have the average amount of interest a person in a menial job has for their work, and being treated like a dumb idiot in a respectless manner isn't going to increase my interest in the work (which I was actually happy with).

Even if it's true I don't believe he should talk to me like a dog, cut me off mid sentence when I speak (I hardly say anything anyway ) and say 'no dick here cares about that' or ask himself aloud why he has to deal with someone like me or say haha someone like you went to uni when I ask a question /don't understand an explanation immediately.

It's gotten worse since he learnt that (allegedly) he and I are going to work together as a 2 person team in a couple weeks or latest by the end of the year.

Then his friend there hates me as well, he has a different job there so we don't work together but we are in the same hall and we're only 5 people in the hall so you can't really avoid anybody. But he's not said anything since a week when I snapped back at him. Since then only mean glances, but if it stays that way I can live with him. However, the other guy I got to continue working with.

I have more than 40 years of working ahead of me, if I even want to live that long. I don't know if I shouldn't just quit this job, or what good this job is adding to my life. I don't have a family I need to support or anything.

kraftiekortie, maybe I am crying because I'm too sensitive, but I didn't cry in other work places, so I feel this is not a fit for me anyway.... I don't want to stay there. I just don't know yet if I am brave enough to quit the job.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 5:11 pm

How is the job market where you are?

Like others have stated, you should try to look for another job while maintaining this one.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this crap. It sounds like crap to me. Sounds like a bunch of idiots.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 6:24 pm

clay5 wrote:
English isn't my first language, so I apologize if this isn't easy to read.

I'm at my new temp factory job since about 2 months now, and I'm feeling awful there. Two of the guys in my team are really nasty to me. I dread going there every day and I cry after work. I've applied to so many jobs before I got this current one and I only got rejections. Until I find a new job many, many months could pass, maybe even more than a year. Or I might never find another job. So not quitting until I have found a new job isn't a realistic option. My options are staying there or quitting.

If I quit, I fear the temp agency won't hire me again. I contacted them today asking if they could place me in some other factory. But I doubt it will work out.

I have savings that I could live off for about a year if I live frugally and don't run into any unforeseen large expenses.

In the U.S. any harassing or bullying behavior should be reported to human resources. At the very least alert the temp agency as to what is going on and ask if they can place you elsewhere. They probably can.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 11:25 pm

The temp agencies I have worked with have always found me something else if I didn't care to complete a long-term assignment. Of course, that might be because I generally had good reports from the employers. I once got a dismissal by the employer and never worked with that temp agency again. Sigh.

Anyway, I think I would advise you to tell the temp agency you don't feel it's a good fit, and ask what else they might be able to send you to. Without saying "either that or I quit."

I would not take this complaint to "HR" - unless it's HR at the temp agency. You do not report to HR at the employer (the warehouse) and they are not responsible for your terms of employment, the temp agency is. The agencies I have worked with want you to go through them entirely on any issues.

Good luck. Few things are more miserable than a job you hate.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 11:44 pm

It can be extremely stressful working in a hostile work environment.

One of the problems that you may encounter is that even though you transition to another position, there will always be people at work that will make your life miserable.

It is always better to seek another job when you currently have a job. If you are unemployed or have a pattern of quitting/being fired, it looks bad to a new employer.

So my advise is to seek means of reducing your stress. Try to build a network of other individuals that you can trust for support. I would also recommend therapy targeting fear and stress such as programs that treat PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder). These include somatic experiencing, beam life coaching, Tipi emotional regulation therapy, and exposure therapy.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 1:33 am

Sounds like a difficult situation, especially considering with how few people you keep in contact (not that I am any different; but on the other hand, my mother does check up on me somewhat frequently), but, fortunately, I don't have big living expenses (although that also simultaneously means less options until I am able to get all this stuff organised enough in order to get rid of the unnecessary junk to be able to move to a more action-packed demographic).

From my own work-experiences, I have found that certain locations and types of jobs tend to have more of certain types of people than others, and I should necessarily mention that I did not register with only one employment-agency (due to being registered with several, and having well-established reputation for excellent work-history, I had plenty of options to call up all agencies each week in order to pick whomever was paying the highest for their gig).

Additionally, some agencies have multiple branches, not just at the local state, but other states/provinces, too. Some of them even have international branches, should you decide that you wanted to work at another country, already being part of one branch makes it easy to transfer over since the company is already familiar with who you are. Not sure what else to tell you, nor whether it would be of use or not, but I should probably be focused more on trying to solve my own problems first anyway (basically getting the necessary paper-work done and served in order to notify every single government-official in the entire state that they'll be held personally liable for any and all damages, losses, etc., that result from any form of violations of my rights against unreasonable interactions with public-servants; I must be doing something right at least since even the prosecuting state-attorney even ended up trying to argue for my rights; I think he knows that these cops need to be sued... I just need to properly build a case against them so that he has enough evidence to sue their asses off).

Sorry, I should stay more attentive to your needs, whilst on this thread, rather than talk about myself. Anyway, you said that English was not your first language, thus I can probably infer that you're at least bi-lingual. Some locations are in need of translators/interpreters; depending on where you are, and depending on languages spoken, etc., you might be able to find a business willing to pay/compensate for translation/interpreter services.

I have found that speaking multiple languages or people finding out that I speak different languages seemed to automatically make me popular for some reason. I also had been hired several times for several jobs in the past, largely due to the influence of being able to speak in different languages, and the employers were apparently impressed (I did not think much of it at the time but you know what is often said by many about hind-sight).

I myself, actually do need to hire some help, and wouldn't that be just ironic if you were available to help me get all of this merchandise re-organised and have digital-photos taken of each product so that I could finally get them sold faster (seriously, I have hardly any room to move around at my current apartment-unit, and thus very little work-space available to really line my metaphorical ducks in a row to maintain my freedoms and so-called liberty).